The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: 572 xp  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Air Lad

• Full Member x2
  • Onwards and upwards
    • Share Post
Re: 572 xp
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 06:22:55 AM »
Yep 
Alloy/steel and stainless don't get along
The dis-similar metal reaction can mean something has to give
In the marine industry in Aus some time ago there was a product called Duralac
It was used as a neutraliser between two different metals where they are bonded to give a sort of buffer
It's bright yellow
Gooey like 3 bond and gets all over you're clothes just like heat sink paste
I guess the bar manufacturers have access to all kinds of new and innovative products
which can bond and separate the different metals
Ms 170/260c /039...Husk 142e/240e...Unloved Chinese 51.2cc that hasn't done anything wrong...2 x dead Mculloch's ..Vintage Poulan.. and a vintage Echo that still runs beaut

Offline outinthewood

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: 572 xp
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 06:44:05 AM »
Always nice when a subject gets a real good chat going ! Agree 100% on the old laminate bars, cheap and nasty would be my summing up in a pro setting although in some work a good option e.g. old soil covered wind blow, no point wearing out a Tsu or Sugi in that !
I do feel the VersaCut is a good step up from that type of bar and along with the newer "black" Husqvarna lam bars a fair choice for more pro work in the right setting. My one Vers bar (20") and black Husq bar (20") are proving to be good bars well made and able to handle serious work.

Now moving onto the top end stuff like Tsu and Sugi, I find the tips on Sugi's are not good atall, too brittle and very prone to chipping to the level that I bought one and no more ! The Tsu are much better I find and have only had two breakup one on a 550 brashing and a 28" which had done a lot of work. That is my finding in my application dealing with a bulk of nasty Spruce with tension filled limbs so just my take. 

The Husqvarna Techlite was a good bar, but, the way the nose was attached was odd it was like a spot weld on two discs which just failed very quickly and I replaced them with normal rivets. They lasted ok but not in the Tsu- Sugi league , very light. 

Very good observation on how the new lam bars are glued together, things really have moved on in the last few years. I have a GB double ended milling bar and it's very well made with incredible hard steel but not brittle .  

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter