The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: 2 stroke oil  (Read 1254 times)

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: 2 stroke oil
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2019, 10:40:18 PM »
I had a couple like that :D Fill the oil and check the gas. After years in the repair shop I want the best oil I can get and go with the manufacturers recommendations. I use Stihl Ulta 'cuz that is what the local dealer carries.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
    • ehpsaws.com
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2019, 01:55:34 AM »
klotz techinplate

Offline Air Lad

• Full Member x2
  • Onwards and upwards
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2019, 05:12:11 AM »
Burnt motor oil....maybe a cup to a gallon.
headscratch
Ms 170/260c /039...Husk 142e/240e...Unloved Chinese 51.2cc that hasn't done anything wrong...2 x dead Mculloch's ..Vintage Poulan.. and a vintage Echo that still runs beaut

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2019, 05:44:34 AM »
On a serious note which I don't normally do there are some benefits of synthetic oil .I use it on all of my newer stuff and change it frequently .
By the same token I've torn down 50 year old saws that you know darn well were ran on outboard boat motor oil probably at 16 or 20 to 1 ratio and they were clean as a pin .Then 20 year old Stihls ran on modern mix oils that had black on the crank case which is in effect pyralighted oil  which in effect is petro coke .Why I have no idea .
    Crankcase oil is better than it used to be .In the 60's when I was a teenager it wasn't uncommon on those small block Chevys and Y block Fords to need a rebuild after 60-70 thousand miles .Now of days it's not uncommon to get 200  thousand miles .Yet on tractor engines ran on non detergent oils and would run almost forever those engines were clean as a pin and many didn't even have oil filters .Of course those were slow running engines with larger cooling systems than automobiles .

Offline ButchC

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2019, 06:17:16 AM »
. :D It might even morph into a bar oil thread after a while .That could prove to be enlightening .
I use the same oil in both, less confusing  :D

What amazes me about oil threads,  engine or bar is how many times cost comes up. Truth of the matter is most home/farm/hobby saws dont get used enough for it to matter. $50 a year for the best oils or $25 for baragin basement.  Where  my son in law works they buy 2 stroke oil in 55 gallon drums, the price per unit would make a common man faint but the cost to fill one of those little 3.2 oz bottles I buy would be pretty low,, anyone want to share a drum???? ;D
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2019, 06:35:43 AM »
I had an old Ford truck that used some oil. Only got 8 miles to the gallon,did not matter if there was a almost a cord of wood in the back or empty. Ther was a stop sign at a bottom of a hill,speed limit only 35 mph. Someone would get behind me trying to do 45 mph. Down shift to a lower gear coming down that hill,they would back off and do 35. :D That think would smoke!!!  Never went no more than an hour from home. And that hour could almost be counted on one hand for a year. It was a wood hauler.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2019, 08:44:51 AM »
I've got a buddy who is a tree trimmer/arborist who is very loyal to Stihl products . He cut a deal with a local dealer and buys bar oil by pallet load and mix oil by the case lots  .I on the other hand buy bar oil by the gallon and mix oil by the 6 pack of little bottles . I do buy beer by the case though if that accounts for anything .
 Then you've got still others who use old crankcase oil black as the ace of spades. Others who use a concoction of old gear lube that smells to high heavens thinned with salvaged hydraulic fluid and diesel fuel .Not to mention the cooking/salad oil crowd with or without the addition of "hidden valley ranch " dressing .I guess they all work just some better that others obviously .

Offline knuckledragger

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2019, 11:43:07 AM »
Forever I've used the stihl fossil oil. Recently moved to the synthetic oil. I don't see any difference now but will later on maybe. Folks use all different kinds of oil. I guess If what a person uses is working no need to change.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2019, 09:02:09 PM »
ehp, if I could still find Klotz I would use it. I use to run it in my snowmobiles. If for no other reason than I liked the way it smells😁
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Tom King

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • HistoricHousePreservation
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2019, 11:13:50 AM »
The Stihl dino oil burns a little too dirty for me.  Fire arrestor screens need to be cleaned too often to suit me.  After switching to their Synthetic, I've not been into any motor since.

I don't know when they came out with the FS110, but I bought one when they first came out, and have one that has run almost full time since then, by one operator in the grass growing season.  It's never had anything in it but non-ethanol, and Stihl synthetic.  I told the guy running it that when it ever quits, I won't open it up.  We'll just bury it.

Offline USAF_Bowhunter

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2019, 07:32:17 PM »
Klotz Super Techniplate

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
two stroke oil

Started by Button on Chainsaws

43 Replies
Last post June 15, 2006, 03:16:38 PM
by 1953greg
xx
Having a stroke is no fun

Started by Coffee_Creek on Health and Safety

21 Replies
Last post May 04, 2016, 10:42:24 PM
by Onthesauk