The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???  (Read 22023 times)

boonesyard and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2019, 08:07:55 PM »
   We have had several nice, sunny days with enough wind to dry up some of the worst of the mud so the last 2 days I burned my old slab pile which was in pretty sad shape and today I moved my new slab pile which had gotten to the point I could barely mill at my normal site. Tomorrow I plan on moving the sawdust and rake up the small broken edging pieces and bark and probably burn them on site. I also dragged down some more of the basswood tops and limbs and a small broken buckeye and sawed them into next year's firewood. A couple more trips up there will get the rest then fix my shooting house for this fall/winter hunting season. I lost a few boards when the basswood broke the small buckeye which fell on the roof of my shooting house. I just hope this weather continues.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline DPatton

• Share Post
    • D & S Sawmill Services
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2019, 10:48:26 PM »
I picked up sticks and limbs today that were down courtesy of hurricane Michael so that we can mow :).
WDH,
I dont think I will need to worry about mowing until next week!

W
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2019, 11:14:52 PM »
, I still ended up going through 16 bands due to nail strikes(24 timbers in all).  They were softer square nails so I boxed them up took them to Resharp.
I didn't know there was a re-sharpening service for square nails  :D ;D
If he hadn't cut the square nails off, he wouldn't have had to box them up and send them to resharp.  ;D ;D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Offline Crossroads

• lets make some sawdust
    • Share Post
    • Kevin Bales faith family farm and portable sawmill
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2019, 11:21:14 PM »
$260 seems pretty reasonable. When I blew a 12 tire a few years ago, it cost me $90 to have les shwaub bring me a tire and rim about 3 block and I had to put it on the mill. 
2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator

Offline Raym

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2019, 06:02:45 AM »
Gonna be Sawing.....

Started a new build for the builder I occasionally work for. Started clearing Monday so I went by and marked some poplar that I want delivered. I'm guessing about 3000 bf. I don't know why but I marked a couple of hickory to add to the load (they are still standing). I was tempted to mark more to bring but I'm afraid of my wife. :D I already have to figure out how to get these here without her knowing.

Most of you may know that my sawmill doesn't get too see much action because of the amount of other work but I really get frustrated driving past my mill to go buy lumber for different jobs that need to be done.

So as soon as these show up, "I promise" no work gets done until these are sawn and stickered. I do use a lot of poplar so should be about a years supply.....
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2019, 08:08:00 AM »
And those are some good ones.  I love to saw Tulip. :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Online petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-11 and still feelin pretty darned good!
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2019, 08:54:14 AM »
Wow 5 days and 65 replies already.
I am at least until after the gathering  at Customsawers away from putting blade to log.
Need to burn slabs and finish up the 5 mbf job started last fall.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
241 acres of woodland

Offline Deese

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2019, 12:25:45 PM »
Deese why is there a 2lb hammer in the board drag back?
Is it to stop the bounce of the arm?
Peter Drouin, 
In all seriousness, I simply need to replace the grease fitting. The cable that lifts/releases the arm has been broke for a while and I just haven't replaced it. Not really sure how that happened. I don't use the dragback all the time but needed it the other day with those heavy oak boards. The arm wouldn't fall freely, tried adding grease and the fitting wouldn't take any. Didn't have extra grease fitting but did have a hammer  :D
'04 LT40HDD51

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • My timberframe blog
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2019, 08:48:44 PM »
My first day back sawing logs in the shop since last week sawing barn beams.  The six weeks before that I had only sawed 7 logs as I was hewing most of the time.   Today I hit the backstops twice!!  One damaged teeth enough to cause a slow dive.  Second one was against a loose backstop that got pushed down as a few sparks came off.  Where's my head at today?!  I did get 7 small to medium walnut logs milled though.  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline Mike W

• Location: Boundary Washington - Right on the edge of the Northern Boarder
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2019, 09:23:50 PM »
Ok Brad,

Need to post this one in the "Did something Dumb" thread, ;D two in one day, that's honorable enough to be included in that thread I would think.

Glad you were back to making saw dust, been a long winter here and just barely getting the mill up into operation with the snow finally subsiding.

Offline Deese

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2019, 05:59:35 PM »
I plan on sawing this post oak into trailer decking this evening/tonight if the rain holds. It is close to 20' long and HEAVY. I'm hoping I can get it loaded with the assistance of a chain and the hydraulic clamp. The pic is a bit deceiving, but it is a big log. We shall see. 

'04 LT40HDD51

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2019, 07:09:14 PM »
My radar shows that you should be able to saw it before the rain gets there, but you ain't sawing yet.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Deese

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2019, 07:39:36 PM »
It keeps raining on and off and I don't even have the mill set up next to it yet so the heck with it. I'm going to go sharpen a blade or two.  Maybe... I'm getting my boy this weekend so sawing will most likely wait until next week.

'04 LT40HDD51

Offline Sixacresand

• Senior Member x2
  • John and Nancy
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2019, 08:01:57 PM »
Deese and his boy will have that thing milled before 8 O'clock.  

My mill is at my cousin's place.  We milled 1 and 2 inch slabs out three 36+ red oak logs.  We worked hard to get the logs set just right beyond the log stop plane and within the roller guides to maximize the slab width.  And we did good and made some pretty lumber.  

Offline Resonator

• Board Footage and Cord Woodage
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2019, 08:20:26 PM »
Sugar Maple.

Finally back sawing again! Central Wisconsin was buried by multiple snowstorms, the likes of which I haven't seen in years, and I was too busy digging out to do any sawing. Thankfully the snow has finally started melting, and the temp hit 50 today. I had a repeat customer call, (who bought my curved Yellow Birch), asking for slabs. I sold him what I had cut previous, and sawed more Sugar Maple today that had nice crotch figure.
(Thank you Jeff and MM for keeping the Watcha Sawin' thread going!)
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2019, 10:14:20 PM »
Found a big lag bole in this log.

When I cut with a hole in the log like this,  I set the whole on a 45 Of a face I want.

Trying to save all the wood from that log. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Offline mart

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2019, 12:33:09 PM »
I spent a couple days this week cleaning up my yard and milling a few logs. I sawed a couple nice birch, a pair of 16 foot spruces for 2x6s and several cottonwood for roof sheathing for my shed extension. The cottonwood sure had some nice color.

With my two week on/two week off schedule I don't get as much time on the mill as I'd like. Here's a couple of pictures. The first is my sawmill tractor. A 1951 Clark tug tractor that someone added a blade and forklift to sometime before I got it.

That cottonwood can have some nice color. The stack is quite a bit higher now and I still have three 12' logs left to mill.

I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2019, 01:26:31 PM »
I went this morning and looked at an upcoming job.  The customer is still bringing logs out and they will all be moved to the sawing site.

This is 7 of what will be about 20 mostly White Oak logs which will be sawn 2" for three ply crane/construction mats.

This job is only 9 miles from home.  ;D

We are sorta drying out and folks are starting to get serious about sawing. 

Offline WLC

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2019, 03:52:10 PM »
I spent a couple days this week cleaning up my yard and milling a few logs. I sawed a couple nice birch, a pair of 16 foot spruces for 2x6s and several cottonwood for roof sheathing for my shed extension. The cottonwood sure had some nice color.

With my two week on/two week off schedule I don't get as much time on the mill as I'd like. Here's a couple of pictures. The first is my sawmill tractor. A 1951 Clark tug tractor that someone added a blade and forklift to sometime before I got it.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

That cottonwood can have some nice color. The stack is quite a bit higher now and I still have three 12' logs left to mill.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Hey Marty!!  That cottonwood sure is nice looking.  Bet it would make some beautiful paneling.  Your yard is much clearer than where my mill is sitting.  I started clearing the snow around mine yesterday.  Maybe I'll finish it up this afternoon.  
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Offline mart

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2019, 04:28:12 PM »
WLC,

We should get together for some coffee. I'll send a PM.

Cottonwood does make nice paneling. I did about 1000 square feet for a friend's cabin. They love it. I'm experimenting with it as roof sheeting this year. As long as it stays dry it holds up well. The logs came from a friends work site last fall. Just had to take the trailer over and he loaded them for me. I'm also using cotton wood 6x10s for the beams in my extension. It will be covered open storage for the tractor and some lumber. Next is a saw shed and an extension on the garage.
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman on Sawmills and Milling

12500 Replies
Last post March 06, 2019, 08:53:50 AM
by Jeff
xx
Whatcha NOT Sawin' ???

Started by terrifictimbersllc on Sawmills and Milling

30 Replies
Last post May 22, 2018, 11:51:19 AM
by Crossroads