iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???

Started by Magicman, March 08, 2019, 08:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwstout

I have a trailer that needs new deck was trying to get a white oak but after reading and thanks for the information gained I will just cut up a post oak ;D
home built mill

Darrel

The snows too deep to saw but in a few days it might be gone or maybe even deeper. I love winter and will love it even more when it's gone. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Deese

Quote from: bwstout on March 12, 2019, 08:23:08 AM
I have a trailer that needs new deck was trying to get a white oak but after reading and thanks for the information gained I will just cut up a post oak ;D
bwstout, 
The Oak family (Fagaceae) is divided into two major groups or subgenera. 
Red & Black Oaks are in one group (Erythrobalanus) containing many species and all have similiar characteristics. 
The White Oak group or subgenera (Leucobalanus) contains many species and all have similiar characteristics. 
Although there is an actual species called the White Oak tree, the Post Oak tree is in the same group. Either species is suitable for decking. 
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Brad_bb

Last Sunday I drove 3 hours with my LT15go.  An LT35 being pulled by a white Excursion passed me by giving me a thumbs up.  
It was 1°F on Monday morning and it was difficult starting the engine.  Probably hard on the engine.  Subsequent days I blanketed the engine and used a propane heater to warm it first.  The 4th day I melted my Lube hose and water shut off valve.
I was cutting 1 face of hewn hardwood barn timbers that were going up as tRimberframe in a living room, dining room, and kitchen.  Even though I thoroughly de-nailed these timbers, I still ended up going through 16 bands due to nail strikes(24 timbers in all).  They were softer square nails so I boxed them up took them to Resharp.

30 minutes after this last selfie was taken, a tire shredded on the mill.  I didn't have a spare.  It was 7:30pm on Friday night about two hours from home.  A lot of tow/tire places were closed and it was pretty rural where I was but I found one great tow/tire service there the owner came and put the mill on his flatbed and took it back to his place.  The 12" tires and 4 lug rims on the mill are pretty rare these days.  He thought it probably wouldn't be til Monday to get a new tire.  Sat morning he called me and said none of the warehouses in Indiana had any, but one of his warehouses in my town in IL had them.  I went and got them and he had me drive back to his place.  I got there at 3:30pm on Saturday and he changed them out and even found me a spare used rim in his stash at his shop.  His tow, and changing the tires and the spare rim came to $260 which I thought was very reasonable.  His poor family, I don't think he ever not on call.  His diligence let me get the mill home Saturday night and I got it set back up in my shop on Monday with the extensions and planer head.  Ready to work again- but in the warm shop now.... 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Brad_bb on March 12, 2019, 01:16:05 PM, I still ended up going through 16 bands due to nail strikes(24 timbers in all).  They were softer square nails so I boxed them up took them to Resharp.
I didn't know there was a re-sharpening service for square nails  :D ;D
Sorry for your road problems, that is a miserable thing, but sounds like you found a good guy in that service fellow. You got kind of lucky and it all ended well. Chances re you will remember how nice those beams look much longer than you will remember the misery of the trip. Nice work.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

bwstout

thanks Deese Post Oak is plentiful around my place and for the information
home built mill

Southside

Brad,

Try running a little Lucas engine oil additive in your oil, the stuff is the real deal and you will never be without lubrication in those kinds of conditions.  I have used it for years but never really understood just how good it was until I had a 6.5 fail on me - big surprise right!!  Well I pulled the motor from the truck and was installing a Humvee take out when I realized that the oil pans were not compatable so I pulled the pan on the old engine, which was still running on 7 cylinders when I pulled it several weeks earlier, and much to my surprise all of the cylinder walls were still coated with the Lucas.  It looked like the motor had been running 20 seconds earlier, not several weeks.  Now all of my engines get a dose of Lucas every couple of oil changes, maybe 10% - 15% by volume, the stuff is well worth the money as a safety in my opinion.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Brad_bb

Southside, It's seldom that I'm milling outside, let alone in the winter, but next time I will definitely consider it.  I hope to convert to electric within the year, so after that, no more milling outside/portable.

Magicman

The only sawing that I did today was chainsawing last year's growth from the 8 Crepe Myrtle trees and then....

Mowing the lawn.  She says that tomorrow I will trim all of the shrubbery.  Heck, I would much rather be sawmilling.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I picked up sticks and limbs today that were down courtesy of hurricane Michael so that we can mow :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

We have had several nice, sunny days with enough wind to dry up some of the worst of the mud so the last 2 days I burned my old slab pile which was in pretty sad shape and today I moved my new slab pile which had gotten to the point I could barely mill at my normal site. Tomorrow I plan on moving the sawdust and rake up the small broken edging pieces and bark and probably burn them on site. I also dragged down some more of the basswood tops and limbs and a small broken buckeye and sawed them into next year's firewood. A couple more trips up there will get the rest then fix my shooting house for this fall/winter hunting season. I lost a few boards when the basswood broke the small buckeye which fell on the roof of my shooting house. I just hope this weather continues.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DPatton

Quote from: WDH on March 12, 2019, 08:04:45 PM
I picked up sticks and limbs today that were down courtesy of hurricane Michael so that we can mow :).
WDH,
I don't think I will need to worry about mowing until next week!

W
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Darrel

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on March 12, 2019, 02:13:10 PM
Quote from: Brad_bb on March 12, 2019, 01:16:05 PM, I still ended up going through 16 bands due to nail strikes(24 timbers in all).  They were softer square nails so I boxed them up took them to Resharp.
I didn't know there was a re-sharpening service for square nails  :D ;D
If he hadn't cut the square nails off, he wouldn't have had to box them up and send them to resharp.  ;D ;D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Crossroads

$260 seems pretty reasonable. When I blew a 12" tire a few years ago, it cost me $90 to have les shwaub bring me a tire and rim about 3 block and I had to put it on the mill. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Raym

Gonna be Sawing.....

Started a new build for the builder I occasionally work for. Started clearing Monday so I went by and marked some poplar that I want delivered. I'm guessing about 3000 bf. I don't know why but I marked a couple of hickory to add to the load (they are still standing). I was tempted to mark more to bring but I'm afraid of my wife. :D I already have to figure out how to get these here without her knowing.

Most of you may know that my sawmill doesn't get too see much action because of the amount of other work but I really get frustrated driving past my mill to go buy lumber for different jobs that need to be done.

So as soon as these show up, "I promise" no work gets done until these are sawn and stickered. I do use a lot of poplar so should be about a years supply.....
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

Magicman

And those are some good ones.  I love to saw Tulip. :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

Wow 5 days and 65 replies already.
I am at least until after the gathering  at Customsawers away from putting blade to log.
Need to burn slabs and finish up the 5 mbf job started last fall.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Deese

Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 11, 2019, 08:06:56 PM
Deese why is there a 2lb hammer in the board drag back?
Is it to stop the bounce of the arm?
Peter Drouin, 
In all seriousness, I simply need to replace the grease fitting. The cable that lifts/releases the arm has been broke for a while and I just haven't replaced it. Not really sure how that happened. I don't use the dragback all the time but needed it the other day with those heavy oak boards. The arm wouldn't fall freely, tried adding grease and the fitting wouldn't take any. Didn't have extra grease fitting but did have a hammer  :D
Cooks AE4P Edger

Brad_bb

My first day back sawing logs in the shop since last week sawing barn beams.  The six weeks before that I had only sawed 7 logs as I was hewing most of the time.   Today I hit the backstops twice!!  One damaged teeth enough to cause a slow dive.  Second one was against a loose backstop that got pushed down as a few sparks came off.  Where's my head at today?!  I did get 7 small to medium walnut logs milled though.  

Mike W

Ok Brad,

Need to post this one in the "Did something Dumb" thread, ;D two in one day, that's honorable enough to be included in that thread I would think.

Glad you were back to making saw dust, been a long winter here and just barely getting the mill up into operation with the snow finally subsiding.

Deese

I plan on sawing this post oak into trailer decking this evening/tonight if the rain holds. It is close to 20' long and HEAVY. I'm hoping I can get it loaded with the assistance of a chain and the hydraulic clamp. The pic is a bit deceiving, but it is a big log. We shall see. 

Cooks AE4P Edger

Magicman

My radar shows that you should be able to saw it before the rain gets there, but you ain't sawing yet.  ::)

Deese

It keeps raining on and off and I don't even have the mill set up next to it yet so the heck with it. I'm going to go sharpen a blade or two.  Maybe... I'm getting my boy this weekend so sawing will most likely wait until next week.

Cooks AE4P Edger

Sixacresand

Deese and his boy will have that thing milled before 8 O'clock.  

My mill is at my cousin's place.  We milled 1 and 2 inch slabs out three 36+ red oak logs.  We worked hard to get the logs set just right beyond the log stop plane and within the roller guides to maximize the slab width.  And we did good and made some pretty lumber.  

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Resonator

Sugar Maple.

Finally back sawing again! Central Wisconsin was buried by multiple snowstorms, the likes of which I haven't seen in years, and I was too busy digging out to do any sawing. Thankfully the snow has finally started melting, and the temp hit 50 today. I had a repeat customer call, (who bought my curved Yellow Birch), asking for slabs. I sold him what I had cut previous, and sawed more Sugar Maple today that had nice crotch figure.
(Thank you Jeff and MM for keeping the Watcha Sawin' thread going!)
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Thank You Sponsors!