The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Re: The weather 2019  (Read 13624 times)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
Re: The weather 2019
« Reply #1020 on: May 12, 2019, 03:51:40 PM »
A nice day here for moving dirt and rocks around the yard. :D I was landscaping around the garage and another spot on the lawn. Lawdy the rocks. The top soil is nice around here, but when you drop down below 12" your in for some picking and this loam was hauled in, not screened, but not too bad for rocks. No worst than my own. :D
Move'n on.

Online lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #1021 on: May 13, 2019, 03:10:36 PM »
60 and poured rain. Went out and did a few hours of brushcutting, and I'm soaked. I normally wouldn't have done that, but the days where I'm motivated to gear up and cut brush are dwindling. It's soon gonna be too hot. I want to get the heavy stuff done now, then touch up as motivation strikes through summer. 2.5hrs left til the machine's paid off, including the new shaft I bought.

Boss also mentioned a couple trees he wants trimmed; had dead branches that got in the way of mowing grass. Turns out they're ash, and dying from EAB. Both are heavy leaners, but are still live enough to send out suckers. I'm gonna take a better look when it isn't raining, but right now I'm thinking I'll take them down from the top.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #1022 on: May 13, 2019, 04:58:38 PM »
Dry, sunny and 62F here today. East wind though, sign of wet on the way. :)
Move'n on.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #1023 on: May 14, 2019, 06:12:15 AM »
Rain. Don't want that mud to dry out. ;D No rain before this for 2 days. Still kinda cool. Sweat shirt weather,but that is normal.
I am smoothing a place out down at the edge of the field,right next to the road.Worked on it when it stopped rain for 2 days in a row. :)  Still a little wet. Would like to see it at a slight incline. When they ditched the road,it drops off straight at least a foot. Hard to mow a place like that.I all ready diid about 500 feet. Another on going project. Trying to help out on the trimming part.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Online Old Greenhorn

• An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #1024 on: May 14, 2019, 07:04:30 AM »
Rain. We had 1/2" Friday, none Saturday, 1.3" Sunday, .8" Monday, and only have .04 so far today. Well it's not really supposed to rain steady again until......noon, so that's good >:(. I am sick of this.
 It's 37 here now, dew point is 33, wind is calm, and the pressure has been falling since midnight to 29.4. It snowed around here above 2,000' feet last night, they said they might get as much as 10" on the mountain tops. I'll hear the actual reports when I get to work. I know my cousin's in southern Vt. got a coating last night. My steep skid road is taking a beating from the runoff, even with the new water bar I put in hastily back in December or so. Gonna need a machine to fix it proper.
 Maybe, just maybe, tonight I can get a little work in on the mill. Only a 50% chance of rain then so I'll take it. This is getting old.
Can You help out the Coleman Veterans Memorial by chipping in a few bucks? Go here for the full story: Can you help this year? in General Board

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #1025 on: May 14, 2019, 04:27:12 PM »
Rain held off here at the house but began raining down river as soon as I was done a thinning block with the GPS. Good timing.

Tomorrow the garage trusses will be delivered and the first of next week the building materials will arrive (Tuesday). Monday is one of them holidays around here, some old Queen that died 119 years ago. :D Oh well going to be a cold rain (hand numbing cold) I suspect anyway. Won't get much else done.
Move'n on.

Online lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #1026 on: May 14, 2019, 08:33:09 PM »
Mixed sun and clouds, with a sprinkle of rain; 52. Pretty good day. Took down a couple trees, and did a terrible job. Everything always goes where I want it to go, but it gets there in the stupidest way possible. I'd love to go through a stand of trees where I can do the same thing again and again til I get it right.  :^/

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #1027 on: May 15, 2019, 04:15:52 AM »
30F here this morning. I don't see any white on the ground, but if anything falls from the sky it will be sleet or snow I suspect. :D Yep, it's that time of year you can see at 5:00 am in the morning and 10:00 pm at night. :D

Waiting for those trusses, then I'll probably cut a load of firewood afterword to fill the day. Too late by mid morning to go GPS, 1-1/2 hr drive.

correction, there is now snow mixed in the rain. :D
Move'n on.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1028 on: May 15, 2019, 05:19:53 AM »
Rained enough yesterday to keep things wet.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #1029 on: May 15, 2019, 05:53:00 AM »
A couple days ago a ground hog thought it would be nice the lay around on the car tires. I was waiting for him to hop up on the hood for a good sunning. :D But, when approached he climbed up into the car. Horn wouldn't scare him. Started the car and backed up some and out popped the hog, who then scampered off as fast as them short legs could move him. :D
Move'n on.

Online Old Greenhorn

• Share Post
« Reply #1030 on: May 15, 2019, 07:21:40 AM »
Yesterday than rain started about an hour before I left work. AT this point, it is hard to care. I just changed clothes and went down to get the rest of my lagging done on the mill. I raked some of the wet muck and sawdust out of the way so that tonight I can maybe get under and keep working on the leveling up. WHo knows, maybe even finish it off, it's close.
 It's a beautiful day this morning and no rain in sight until tonight. This would be a good day to be 'sick' but I have to go in to take my ash whipping from the auditors I dealt with yesterday. Today they release their 'findings' for my piece of the puzzle. Tomorrow looks good too, but I teach in the afternoon, so no cheating there either. Friday has 50% chance of rain, but who knows, I might come down with something. ;D
 This day should be nice, temp is 34 right now, headed to 60, no rain, clear skies, 2 mph wind out of the ENE and the pressure continues to climb at 29.44 now. Oh I wish I was in the woods today.
Can You help out the Coleman Veterans Memorial by chipping in a few bucks? Go here for the full story: Can you help this year? in General Board

Online Old Greenhorn

• Share Post
« Reply #1031 on: May 16, 2019, 06:57:57 AM »
Well yesterday was clear and cool and almost hit 60. We had a shower just before I arrived home just in case some of the mud might generate dust. I got a good hour and a half of work in before dinner. Nice evening to work. I did get my butt kicked at the audit report and was in a foul mood muttering to myself about auditors looking to appear smart at the expense of folks who actually work for a living and have to do all this compliance nonsense in addition to their real jobs. No matter, once I was on my hands and knees working I forgot about the suits.
 Today is another fine day with about 10 degrees warmer than it was yesterday at this time. 43F right now with a calm to 4 MPH wind out of the SSW, pressure at 29.41 and on the rise, and no rain in sight. I put in to take a vacation day tomorrow enjoy my birthday alone in the woods and forget about pencil necked auditors. Make a pot of coffee in the morning and have a beer in the afternoon while I get my work area set up. Of course we have a 60% chance of rain in the midday hours tomorrow, but I no longer care. Time to make some lumber, or at least cants.
 Looking forward to the mid 60's today and getting through my class tonight (just one more to go and we are done next week). Everybody have a good day. 

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #1032 on: May 16, 2019, 09:31:46 AM »
Happy birthday and enjoy your 3 day weekend.  sounds like you deserve it, and may even appreciate it more, given the week you have had.  Remember thorns and roses from Philmont!!!

Online Old Greenhorn

• Share Post
« Reply #1033 on: May 16, 2019, 09:56:05 AM »
Thanks Doc, I don't know if I deserve it, and I never make a big deal out of my birthdays, its just another day, but I do feel like I need a day for myself just to drop the tension level and make those around me a little safer because I am about ready to explode with all the nonsense and drama that others create.
 Thanks for the Thorns and Roses comment too. I had completely forgotten about that until you mentioned it, even had to think on it to remember what you were referring to. But I get it, and you are right. It was a timely and spot on reminder. I will have to work on that some.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1034 on: May 16, 2019, 10:08:17 AM »
Welllll, I was planning on heading up to work on my property Friday.  Storming though the weekend off and on.  This is just past my place:

And a little further up...

:-\
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #1035 on: May 16, 2019, 10:09:24 AM »
OG all your effort now should pay off with dividends in the future.  you will know your mill inside and out.  You deserve it.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #1036 on: May 16, 2019, 04:53:36 PM »
Yesterday I did cut, slit and delivered to the house 3 loads (1 cord in all) of firewood. Chunky pieces for them long slower burns. Of course it was aspen wood, but it throws the heat just the same. ;D I've  got to cut another 5 cords. Got over 3 cord in now. I just spotted the next cord on the bank of the road, two 18" fir leaning over the road with cracks up the back and a couple 14" aspen leaning even harder. Arthur really put some lean in them taller trees. She'll burn though, take the lean and the crooks out in the ash pan. :D Then I'll buy 1-1/2 cord of hard maple, yellow birch for Dec-Jan wood. :)

Got a fire on tonight, only 46F here for the high today. Was damp today with spotty showers, no heavy rain. Nice and cool for work though, but dry would be nicer. :D
More wet coming tomorrow. ;)
Move'n on.

Online lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #1037 on: May 16, 2019, 06:17:32 PM »
Wasn't too bad today. Woke up to rain, but it cleared out with sun and mild temps; ~70. I may have to walk back my previous 'mild rain' comment in regards to the season. It's been pretty wet this spring, and I'm *really* hoping we don't get a repeat of last year.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1038 on: May 16, 2019, 06:34:18 PM »
Another cool morning. I had a stocking hat on first thing this morning.I kinda thought once I started working I would take it off. I was digging rocks and kept it on until I had to leave for work.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #1039 on: May 16, 2019, 06:56:49 PM »
I wear one of them tube rags that some of them outdoor sportsman shops sell. Keeps your bald head warm under the hard hat and also keeps the sweat from running into your eyes and stinging. Today, as cool as it was, that rag was a bit damp. I don't think the hard hat leeks, but in a full suit of rain gear you heat up a bit, even when it is mid 40's out. I hope this is one of those 70's degree summers and not 90's for a change. ;D
Move'n on.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
2019 WV Catfish

Started by WV Sawmiller on The Outdoor Board

53 Replies
Last post Today at 03:19:27 PM
by WV Sawmiller
xx
2019 Sawmill Adventures

Started by tylerltr450 on Sawmills and Milling

7 Replies
Last post April 09, 2019, 03:48:09 PM
by tylerltr450