The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Re: The weather 2019  (Read 20516 times)

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
Re: The weather 2019
« Reply #1160 on: June 10, 2019, 10:47:13 PM »
Rain. Someone got in the office over the weekend, and stole my brushcutter and ms362. Better not showup on craigslist. I'm not a 'right to lifer'...

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #1161 on: June 11, 2019, 06:15:55 AM »
lxskllr,sorry to hear about the things stolen.
Rain here too. Even the driveway was dusty the other day. :o  We had 4 great sunny warm dry days before this rain. I got a little bit of a sunburn. Most years I don't. But with not much sun this year,than all at once sun for 4 days,I am a little red.
The heat is still off. This should be it turning the valves off and on. This is the first year that I had the heat on this late. Most years I turn them off and on a few times. This year it was a steady on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #1162 on: June 11, 2019, 09:05:24 AM »
We had 3 warm days last week in the 70s and even hitting 80 Saturday. Been raining on and off since and in the 50s to maybe 60. Was 40 this morning. 

The 10 day guesstimate shows the warmest temp to be 64... hopefully July warms UP.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #1163 on: June 11, 2019, 12:00:06 PM »
Been 70's and yesterday 82F here. Done with the heat here I think as well. Going to put the humidifier away and turn on the dehumidifier in the basement now. :D Going to stack some firewood on Saturday with what I cut. Then more later when I buy a load of maple.
Move'n on.

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1164 on: June 12, 2019, 05:31:42 AM »
Just about an all day rain yesterday. But we had 4 great days of dry weather,sun and warm temps. ;D
Good idea on the dehumidifier,with new construction. I ran one here for years. Have not ran it for 4-5 years now. But I do have a box fan,I mounted it from the ceiling upside down,so I can just reach up for the controls. That has been on for at least 2 years,maybe 3,steady. I never turn it off. I want the air movement. I do open up the cellars window this time of year. But with a dehumidifier I would not have the windows open.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Online Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
Re: Re: The weather 2019
« Reply #1165 on: June 12, 2019, 07:31:44 AM »
We need some seriously hot dry weather to get rid of the crazy amount of black flies we have this year. can't even enjoy being outside with the crazy amounts of them around.

Wonder what temperature they melt? :)

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1166 on: June 13, 2019, 03:10:24 PM »
The heat is on. Started to rain an hour ago. I was cutting some bushes and wanted to get that area done. I worked out in the rain and got a little wet. Came inside and put the heat on. They said PM rain.With my day off I was hoping PM stood for Past Midnight.  :D We had some dry sunny days,

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
Re: Re: The weather 2019
« Reply #1167 on: June 13, 2019, 03:40:19 PM »
The heat is on.

:D
Well, that has a different meaning out here!  Cooling off now - down to the lower 90's today after 2 days of 104 and several days before that of upper 90's.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #1168 on: June 13, 2019, 03:54:29 PM »
Your right about them black flies. They are in cloud formations this year. :D  No more heat here come Sunday. I just put the humidifer away today. I'll be turning off the electric furnace. It never comes on during the day anyway. It was 70 earlier, dropped back to 68F now. Breezy. Nice though, there is a mugginess about it. Was working at levelling the gravel in the garage floor and the water was dripping off the ball cap. ;) No rain yet, but it is coming. Corn seems to grow 2" a day in the garden. Potatoes will be in blossom in 2 weeks. My potatoes are way ahead of the farmers'.
Move'n on.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #1169 on: June 13, 2019, 04:16:51 PM »
Couple days of dry .Dry enough I could grade out a little over 40 tons of crushed limestone with my 65 year old bulldozer .I never claimed to be the best dozer operator in the world but I manage ,just takes me longer .Beats a shovel and a rake. Drizzel  today off and on as far as rain .That the ground can soak up.  A 2-3" frog drowner it can't .

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1170 on: June 13, 2019, 04:27:01 PM »
I don't know what the story in my garden is .3 varieties of tomatoes ,all doing well,cucumbers ,crooked neck yellow squash same .One scroungy green bean plant .I think something ate the seeds .I'll replant them I guess . ???

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #1171 on: June 13, 2019, 04:41:48 PM »
The heat is on here too via the wood stove. Frosty again this morning. Yesterday it never reached 50, today its 60. Finally had to mow the lawn. Father in laws garden isn't doing anything, but why would it when it has frosted 3 times in the last 10 days. Crazy weather.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1172 on: June 13, 2019, 11:10:33 PM »
The heat has been off since the first of the month.Supposed to get down to 50 tonight but a well insulated brick  house I doubt gets very cold inside  That said it has been crazy weather .Aprils rains all May and continuing into June .It might be that proverbial cold day in July .Odd indeed .As crazy as it is it might be picking vine ripened tomatoes in November as large as a softball .It might be polar bears in the back yard too .The cats would go nuts . :D 

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #1173 on: June 14, 2019, 07:16:19 PM »
Fantastic day! Amazingly cool for a mid June MD. It barely cracked 70, and was sunny and breezy all day. Work was easy, and after getting back for the day, I took out a willow limb my boss wanted down with my first successful DRT climb. I had multiple failures, and an arborist would have laughed his butt off at me, but I'm calling it a huge success.

Had some trouble getting my throwline in the tree due to the rats nest of vines. My cambium saver that I found today failed. It was a 1"x36" piece of well pipe I found in a treasure box(jobsite container) today. I saw it, and thought "Huh... That might work as a cambium saver". There's a few potential problems with it, and the one I ran into was it was too stiff, and didn't stay in the crotch. I haven't given up on the idea, and I've sawn kerfs across the top to allow it to flex down more. We'll see,,, The rope ran directly in the crotch, but willows are durable. I don't think it did significant damage.

I tried using the tail of my line in a Blake's hitch to the running end, but I couldn't get it to grab. I saw it in a book, and it looked like a good idea, but same size lines won't grab as well. Perhaps I didn't dress the knot well enough. It was in a book afterall, so it works for someone, but I ended up using my prussik cord as a traditional prussik, and that worked great. Didn't get the binding I did last time when I had it around both ends of the line(Didn't want to run the rope through the crotch of my walnut and damage it, so I was trying to footlock up the doubled line, but I never got off the ground to to the hitch binding).

Got my saw stuck when the kerf closed faster than expected. Had to climb down and get my Silky to rescue it(Note to self, when saddle goes on, Silky goes on too).

It was an easy climb, about 12' up, and I cheated by bracing against one of the other multi trunks part of the way, but I also did a little proper DRT climbing, and I got the job done effectively, and safely. I have some trust issues with the gear cause I'm not experienced, but everything worked as it should. The prussik grabbed when it needed to grab, and released when it was supposed to release. I'm *very* pleased with how it all turned out.

Also ran a tank of fuel through my new brushcutter. Still getting sore shoulders, but I'm feeling more comfortable with it. I think I can feel the extra 3cc over my last one. It seems to cut a bit better, but that could be due to the new blade that hasn't been ravaged by rocks and junk yet.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #1174 on: June 14, 2019, 10:40:47 PM »
Fantastic day! Amazingly cool for a mid June MD. It barely cracked 70, and was sunny and breezy all day. Work was easy, and after getting back for the day, I took out a willow limb my boss wanted down with my first successful DRT climb. 
OK, I gotta ask, what is a DRT climb? In EMS we use the acronym DRT to mean "Dead Right There" as in "On arrival patient was DRT". SO you can see why I am curious. Glad you had a good safe day, really sorry you got robbed.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) I mill for fun and my mental health. NYLT Certified.

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #1175 on: June 15, 2019, 03:28:52 AM »
May was on the cold side here and was mainly running off the electric furnace for heat up until today. The electric bill arrived and was $90 more for that electric heat. But then again, wood isn't free is it? I figure that is 1/3 of a cord burned. A cord runs $270. So I call even Stevens on that. :D
Move'n on.

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #1176 on: June 15, 2019, 06:39:06 AM »
DRT=DoubleRopeTechnique. It's the more traditional way to ascend a tree where one end of the line attaches to your saddle, goes up and over a branch or false crotch, and back to the climber. A prussik from the saddle attaches to the running end, and you haul yourself up the tree using the prussik as a progress capture. Benefits are it doesn't take much gear, and the load is distributed on both legs of the line. Drawbacks are friction is a problem where the rope runs, and it's physically hard and slow.

SRT=SingleRopeTechnique. This is more modern, and gear intensive. Professional arborists probably use it more than anything. One end of the line is anchored either in the canopy, or back to the ground around the trunk. Various mechanical ascenders are used to get up the rope. Benefits are it's faster and easier to climb. Drawbacks are it takes more expensive gear, and to my way of thinking, interesting new failure points with the new expensive gear.

I don't want interesting failure points when I'm up in a tree. I like the simplicity of a rope and a couple knots. I have all the time in the world, and I'm doing this for fun, so I don't have to be efficient with time. It's also just a sideline. My main interest in climbing is with spurs, but they shouldn't be used on pruning jobs due to damage to the tree. It's good to know though. The limb I took off would have been difficult to get to without ropes. I /may/ have been able to free climb it, but I'd have been pushing my aging body. I'm not as agile and pain tolerant as I used to be. The other option would have been a ladder, but that would have required someone else to remove the ladder once I got to my perch, then replace it once I got the limb down.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #1177 on: June 15, 2019, 01:27:27 PM »
Nobody in North Dakota or northern MI has taters up like these in the garden. :D ;) No skips or misses. I've been working around the potato barrel a few years. Blossoms by July 1st I figure. ;)

Move'n on.

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1178 on: June 15, 2019, 01:30:18 PM »
Nice job you did there.
We use to grow taters growing up. We had just a garden for them things

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #1179 on: June 15, 2019, 01:33:35 PM »
In the 70's here today, light breeze and mix of sun and cloud. Very nice, should be like this all summer. :)
Move'n on.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Elk 2018/2019

Started by Magicman on The Outdoor Board

95 Replies
Last post June 07, 2019, 07:37:29 AM
by petefrom bearswamp
xx
2019 WV Catfish

Started by WV Sawmiller on The Outdoor Board

78 Replies
Last post July 26, 2019, 08:53:17 PM
by WV Sawmiller