The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: My sawmill conundrum - Norwood HD36 vs. Woodlander HM130  (Read 766 times)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: My sawmill conundrum - Norwood HD36 vs. Woodlander HM130
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2019, 12:47:19 AM »
Jeff,

I watched the video too and there were things I did not like either - I was concerned about the helper getting too close to the sawdust shoot chute and I'd worry about a broken blade shooting out there but maybe that is not a factor with the design of this mill. As to the mill getting clogged up with sawdust I did not hold that against them as some type of wood (Tulip Poplar and Cedar) are subject to that sometimes due to the nature of their bark.

I think you are well advised to go watch a mill or two before taking the plunge. The first one I ever saw in operation was mine as the WM rep demoed it after he delivered it. He did a good job demoing but many steps I did not realize at the time because he was pretty smooth. Also I did not even know what kind of questions to ask. I will say WM customer support is first rate although I hear similar comments from other sponsors mill too. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline doc henderson

• Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 02:45:08 AM »
hey jeff.  I skimmed through the posts and have not seen a reference, but you can look at sawmill and woodlot magazine.  Most recently they looked at firewood processors, but a year ago they did all the major sawmill brands.  sawmillmag.com .  You can get back copies for download and a good fun source of info on products, other sawyers and woodlot issues.  sorry if this was already posted and I missed it.  I have timber king and did that because in part they are made 3 hours from my home. good luck.

Offline mmprestine

• Northern WI 33 acres and Cabin build
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 04:35:58 PM »
Why not look at the actual frontier youtube page when doing your research?  They have a ton of videos over viewing the products.  The video you posted was demo concept machine and they new this was a problem and fixed it on all production machines.

Frontier Mills

Offline Everest123

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2019, 11:09:33 AM »
I just found a used WoodMizer LT10 on Craiglist on facebook for $2,500 with a track extension.  Only a few miles from me.  Maybe I should just go for an already depreciated mill to test the waters and see how I like it / time I can spend.  Any thoughts on just a simple entry level WM?  Looks like a soild mill. . . . :)

Offline Weekend_Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Jack of all trades, master of fun
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2019, 11:26:45 AM »
When I got my Norwood LM2000 it had a piece of expanded aluminum in the sawdust chute. It clogged all the time. My first mod was to cut that screen out of the way. Never had a problem with sawdust building up around the band since then.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe. ... and it looks like my dream will come true!

Offline doc henderson

• Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2019, 11:37:36 AM »
I do not know the new price of such a mill, but may be a bargain.  go have a look, if the price is right, and not too much to fix, it may be a place to start.  I hear nothing but good things about Woodmizer.  can always sell or trade on a bigger more automated mill in the future.

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2019, 12:30:51 PM »
I just found a used WoodMizer LT10 on Craiglist on facebook for $2,500 with a track extension.  Only a few miles from me.  Maybe I should just go for an already depreciated mill to test the waters and see how I like it / time I can spend.  Any thoughts on just a simple entry level WM?  Looks like a soild mill. . . . :)
Sounds like a pretty good plan.
HM126

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2019, 02:22:55 PM »
I bought my LT40 used and have no regrets. It was old at the time and need some adjustment, but I just followed the step by step instructions in the owner's manual and was very easy to do. If the LT10 you're looking at doesn't come with an owner's manual, Wood-Mizer will set you up with one, most likely a digital download. 

I'd jump on that used mill while it's available. 

Good luck. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Offline marcnaz

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2019, 02:50:29 PM »
FWIW I had the same concerns on the Frontier and did some research on them and the ejection chute was redesigned and I was told not an issue on them now. Also I think that these guys were in a manual mill shootout trying to cut as much as they could, as fast as they safely could. The video was the original OS 27. They have since added a smaller and a larger model to their lineup. I can't offer opinions on the quality, but I ordered one and it's en route shipping now.  Since these are fairly new saws, there isn't a whole lot of end user feedback out there yet but I'm sure that will change over time. I simply didn't want to deal with a used mill (there are none anywhere near me anyway) or spend too much on a mill that will primarily be used as a hobby venture. A warranty is also a little more piece of mind also. Keeping my fingers crossed on it's quality and performance, but so far the folks at Norwood have been great on the phone and via emails answering my endless questions... time will tell I suppose, so we'll see!
USAF Retired

Offline Dana Stanley

• For fun and profit!
    • Share Post
    • Yankee Wood Signs
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2019, 07:41:19 PM »
24" is limiting, but you would likely get all your money back on resale!
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.

Offline Warren

• Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord.... Col. 3:23
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2019, 09:21:07 PM »
If there is a possibility that you will sell or upgrade the sawmill, then I would be looking at resale value.  A Wood-Mizer LT10 is $3,995, an LT15START is $5,295, and an EZ Boardwalk Jr is $4,700.  All within your price range.  There are also other possibilities so check out the Sponsor list on the left.  Do plenty of research and do not make a hasty decision.
Some very sound advice right here ^^^^^.  I started with an LT15 as a hobby.  Later sold it and purchased an LT40 when I got more serious about sawing.  An LT15 will saw everything that an LT40 will saw.  Just not as fast.  

When one is first learning to saw, the "not as fast" can be a good thing.  Gives you more time to think thru your next move.  More time to size up the next cut.  More time to avoid boo-boo's...
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C, W&S Forklift, Baker Edger ...  And not near enough time in the day ...

Offline Delta66

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: Today at 05:49:51 PM »
FWIW I had the same concerns on the Frontier and did some research on them and the ejection chute was redesigned and I was told not an issue on them now. Also I think that these guys were in a manual mill shootout trying to cut as much as they could, as fast as they safely could. The video was the original OS 27. They have since added a smaller and a larger model to their lineup. I can't offer opinions on the quality, but I ordered one and it's en route shipping now.  Since these are fairly new saws, there isn't a whole lot of end user feedback out there yet but I'm sure that will change over time. I simply didn't want to deal with a used mill (there are none anywhere near me anyway) or spend too much on a mill that will primarily be used as a hobby venture. A warranty is also a little more piece of mind also. Keeping my fingers crossed on it's quality and performance, but so far the folks at Norwood have been great on the phone and via emails answering my endless questions... time will tell I suppose, so we'll see!
I bought an OS27 with an extension, trailer, and trailer extension.  The manual is awful (wrong part numbers, "?" in places where part numbers should be, etc.) and I am constantly calling Norwood with questions.  They are helpful, but there is only one employee that seems to know anything about the Frontier line.  Everything is built really well, but they obviously rushed it to market without taking the time to provide a sufficient manual.  The trailer is even worse.  There are parts missing from the drawings that are integral to assembling the trailer.  I was also shorted the complete trailer extension in shipping.  Really regretting not buying from Woodland at the moment but once I actually get this thing assembled and run it, I may change my mind.  I expected that a company like Norwood adequately trained their employees on each of their products.  That does not appear to be the case.  

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Norwood HD36 Sawmill

Started by wheeling1 on For Sale

8 Replies
Last post January 21, 2019, 10:23:59 PM
by samandothers
xx
Norwood Setworks for HD36

Started by Ga Mtn Man on Sawmills and Milling

0 Replies
Last post February 17, 2018, 09:33:34 AM
by Ga Mtn Man