The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Which mill do I want - swing or band?  (Read 1292 times)

Online terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
Re: Which mill do I want - swing or band?
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2019, 09:54:45 AM »
I have this far-fetched dream of porting a mill to the Pacific NW and getting a hold of a logger out there to supply me with some larger doug firs.  Making a memorable trip out of it for me and my retired dad would be kindof fun, I think.
All good advice, but if this is his dream......?  

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT  2001 WM LT40SHDD (42HP Kubota, Accuset2, FAO's, Lubemizer, debarker), Peterson WPF 10-30 with chain slabber. Logrite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Offline Stuart Caruk

• Woodmizer LX450 DieselStationary timber processing
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2019, 03:33:15 AM »
If you decide to do it, give me a call. I can show you that contrary to prior comments You can easily load 35" plus Doug fir on a Woodmizer. I routinely set stuff well over 10,000 pounds on mine with no issues. Of course I load from an infeed deck, and I use a log loader to load that. the hydraulic lift on my Woodmizer was removed. It was to small anyway.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Offline samm

• Beginning Timber-er
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2019, 11:36:34 PM »
Why not use local timber for a locally built home Mn. has some very fine timber for the project yo wish to build. Even if you have to go to northern Mn. and transport back to southern Mn. I only ask because my mother is from Nevis and I have seen some very nice timber there.
I think that would be a great idea but the research I've done so far is that strength/cubic inch of DF is more than the MN pines. To get the same roof/snow load on a summer beam, for instance, I'd be several dimensions larger -- and of course if I need a very large beam that may be difficult to find in MN.  PNW DF grows large and usually with lots of tight clear vert grain -- am I right?
I got a hold of a mill outside Grand Rapids on my way to LOW ice fishing last year, they suggested they have plenty of -- what was it, white pine? When I asked if he had connections to ship in some DF timbers, he did not.
Nevis? My family has been visiting In We Go resort every year for 12 yrs or so now. Very nice area.
Keep your stick on the Ice!

Offline samm

• Beginning Timber-er
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2019, 11:42:36 PM »
So if I got this right the plan is to buy a mill, take a month off work to drag it a thousand miles, buy some logs, hire some yard space and a loader, saw the logs up, staying on site for a month if necessary, then i drag the mill and the sawn timber back where you started from, all to save some money?

Won't work. Find someone over there that knows what they're looking at and get them to pick you some logs to freight home, or just buy the lumber. I've done more walkabout mill than most over some impressive distances and i hate to spoil the party but what you're suggesting will be way too expensive for the small volumes of lumber you need.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the economics are unsound.
Thanks for the message, it's good for me to hear this perspective to keep my "dream" in check.
But, say I had another reason to get the mill (local sawyer for hire) to supplement my tree service.. and let's say it would only take me 7 16 hour days to get this work done (maybe 1 week on the equipment rental).. would I be ahead. That's what I'm looking at.
I don't want to invest in this adventure just for this adventure, I'd like to invest in the equipment and experience to be used again hopefully someday.
Keep your stick on the Ice!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Dumb question #2 Swing blade Vs Band mill

Started by Just Me on Sawmills and Milling

33 Replies
Last post January 08, 2011, 06:22:20 PM
by DanG
xx
Going from band to swing blade

Started by yarnammurt on Sawmills and Milling

16 Replies
Last post January 02, 2014, 09:58:42 PM
by barbender
xx
Cant stress. Swing and Band Mills

Started by solidwoods on Sawmills and Milling

31 Replies
Last post October 23, 2003, 12:58:52 PM
by KiwiJake
xx
Which basic mill is faster - bandsaw or swing mill?

Started by 54Dutchman on Sawmills and Milling

35 Replies
Last post March 18, 2012, 09:37:14 PM
by Okrafarmer