The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Pole saw  (Read 521 times)

Offline Mad Professor

• Share Post
Pole saw
« on: March 14, 2019, 06:00:00 PM »
Not sure where to put this? It's a sort of, saw question so here I go.....

Looking at multi-purpose pole saws.  So far Echo and Stihl look best. 

Echo is cheaper a bit, w/better warranty. Extensions are cheaper

Stihl is lighter a bit and has larger/more powerful engines.

Besides pole saw, also might want to double as brush cutter/string trimmer.  I have a good Husky string trimmer but it's getting old, I'd rebuild it at this point if it died but no issues so far.

Attachments cost ~ same.

Comments/suggestions?

Offline doc henderson

• Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
Re: Pole saw
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 06:14:58 PM »
i have all Stihl stuff, but know folks that love echo.  i have a dedicated pole saw (gas).  i know they have some power heads that can interchange.  i like the idea of having fewer gas engines setting for months or years at a time and getting fowled carbs.  i also have some of the 40v batt. operated stuff.  i luv it!  starts every time.  I started with the chainsaw and blower.  now have the string trimmer, concrete/metal saw, and hedge clippers.  like many sets of batt. operated stuff, the charger and batts. cost the most.  they even make a back back with all day long capacity.  i get the heavier and more powerful equip.  Not sure if they will all hold up commercially, but around the house and inside the shop (no gas engine) very handy.  If you have a good dealer for both, see what variety they have in each, or go with the best dealer close by.

Offline Mad Professor

• Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 06:36:16 PM »
I also forgot.  How is servicing each?

All my saws are pre-2000. I can tear them right down and rebuild from scratch, many have been since I got them free, as a dead or semi-dead carcasses.

A warranty is great but what is working on them like after that.......

Offline doc henderson

• Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 06:41:42 PM »
not much to do for the electric, and that is why you need a good dealer.  As for the gas stuff, sounds like you do more of that than me.  I do small stuff, and i like small engine repair, but my stihl stuff, I take it to the dealer.  they have the parts on the shelf, and although the rate sounds high, they usually already know what is wrong and how to fix it, and are therefore very efficient with my money.

Offline Mad Professor

• Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 06:50:01 PM »
I've got ~ 40 acres to deal with, electric is not going to "cut it", pun intended.

Besides a pole saw, I also need a brush cutter to deal with, a lot of invasives , as per my forest management plan: buckthorn, jap barberry, multiflora rose, bittersweet.  Plan is mechanical first, then chemical on resprouts.

I think I could put a brush cutter on my Husky string trimmer, it's a 326.  But would rather keep that dedicated to a string trimmer.

Offline doc henderson

• Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 06:57:05 PM »
that is helpful to know.  I use a two wheeled string trimmer so it can plow down the weeds and brush.  do you have a tractor that can mow some down.  Yes sounds like you need some industrial stuff.  others should chime in soon.  i think many of the things with a power head and interchangeable functions will not be sturdy for as much as you have to do. I think if you get 2 stroke stuff, it should be "a gas"  and yes pun also intended. 

Offline Mad Professor

• Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 07:41:01 PM »
Tractor w/brush hog.  But that is only good in fields.  Can't get at invasives in the the woods with it.

We also have a good deal of garlic mustard, that is a biennial.  I killed off most last year in the spring at bloom w/trimmer ( ~ 2 days work).  One more year doing that and I should have a good dent on those.

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 07:43:52 PM »
I have the Stihl Combi motor with multiple attachments, string trimmer, hedge trimmer, chainsaw, and blower, also one extension. I think it works well for me but the chainsaw head with an extension gets heavy for these old shoulders.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline Mad Professor

• Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 08:22:39 PM »
I have the Stihl Combi motor with multiple attachments, string trimmer, hedge trimmer, chainsaw, and blower, also one extension. I think it works well for me but the chainsaw head with an extension gets heavy for these old shoulders.
Which one?  I was thinking the KM 131 was better than the KM 111, as both weigh the same, but the former is 30% more power but ~$40 more expensive.
I've also read you can frankenstein old stihl trimmers to use the pole pruner head.  I think the biggest stihl made was the FS 250? 40 something cc?  Problem is, that would be a months long project to find the parts and build.

Offline tacks Y

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 07:52:37 AM »
I bought the Echo, seems to have enough power. But I have not run it enough to have to sharpen chain yet. I also bought the extension bot have not installed it.

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 08:51:32 AM »
Which one?  I was thinking the KM 131 was better than the KM 111, as both weigh the same, but the former is 30% more power but ~$40 more expensive.
I've also read you can frankenstein old stihl trimmers to use the pole pruner head.  I think the biggest stihl made was the FS 250? 40 something cc?  Problem is, that would be a months long project to find the parts and build.
I have the 131? it was the biggest available. I try not to use the extension too often but it is handy sometimes, with it I can easily reach over 12' high but it gets heavy fast. The chainsaw head was originally used on my older Stihl string trimmer. The surprising attachment is the blower which I like better than my regular hand held. I don't know your age or physical condition but while I say it's really heavy at 67 I wouldn't have thought so at 47.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline Inaotherlife

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 09:18:10 AM »
I'd probably get some goats for the buckthorn and stuff.

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-11 and still feelin pretty darned good!
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 09:27:16 AM »
Yup the pole saws get heavy.
Also the blade on my Husky is straight and larger branches bind.
Seems like they would angle the cutter bar so that the cuts are more horizontal for the higher branches.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo
241 acres of woodland

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 09:29:35 AM »
I got a 20 year old Stihl HT75 pole saw with a 22 hedge trimmer head and chainsaw head. Bent the expensive shafts twice years ago, quit using it the 2nd time.
Last year I modified it to fit a Kombi power broom. Best thing I ever did with it. 
Should have had a power broom for my tree service years ago. :)

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 09:34:15 AM »
The Stihl HT75 is so powerful on the power broom that I had to turn the throttle govenor down to half throttle at WOT. :D

Offline Inaotherlife

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 09:41:57 AM »
I like the length of my Echo PPT-2620 with 4' extension.
Couldn't do half the stuff I use it for with a shorter multi-tool attachment system. The extra 4 or 5 feet is a huge difference.
It's not fully extended in this photo. Goes 2 or 3 feet longer.

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 10:12:12 AM »
Couldn't do half the stuff I use it for with a shorter multi-tool attachment system. The extra 4 or 5 feet is a huge difference.
(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Cool picture,  do you do that daily for a living?

Offline Inaotherlife

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 08:41:21 PM »
(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Cool picture,  do you do that daily for a living?
Thanks.
Not hardly. I just had some trees with high broken limbs and limbs over power lines, fences and the house that needed to come down.
So I figured I'd rather have the pole saw than pay someone to tear up the lawn with a bucket truck.
And that whole tree will need to come down eventually. It's been dying a slow death for the past 10 or more years.
I'll still have to climb up in the tree to rope most of the limbs and to rig the big center limb to the gooseneck to get everything fell in the right direction, and get the tree short enough so it won't land on the fence.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 03:29:33 PM »
 :) I tried to straighten the shaft on an HT 75 with partial success  I got it straight but could not get the twist  out of  it so it only partly collapsed .It got stolen,wasn't my saw .The trimmer had the bright idea he didn't have to keep his stuff under lock and key . It certainly had plenty of power .

I've got an inexpensive Poulan that came with a weed wacker thing which I've never used because I already have another 5 or 6 .The pole saw is okay but like I said it was a cheapie .Certainly not considered heavy duty but it has saved me a lot of work not having to shinny up a tree to wack off a limb .

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
How does the HT 131 Stihl Pole Saw compare to other Pole Saws?

Started by JOE.G on Chainsaws

14 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 01:36:36 AM
by Dixie Feller
xx
HT 101 pole saw help

Started by Hitchcock Woods on Chainsaws

6 Replies
Last post August 19, 2015, 04:02:37 PM
by Hitchcock Woods
xx
Which Pole Saw To Buy?