The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Planning for the garden...  (Read 3325 times)

Offline farmerdoug

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Planning for the garden...
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2005, 06:43:20 PM »
Paschale, I have bad luck with yellow tomatoes.  We have had late blight almost very year.  I have to spray for it very ten days when the conditions are right for it so having to fight any other problems is not worth it.  We plant Big Beef and Ultra Boy.  We plant around 2000 plants a year.  You should rotate the location you plant them yearly.  I do try the heirlooms in the yard though.  I do like Mr. Stripey.  I like any truely vine ripened tomatoes fresh out of the garden.  I do not eat many tomatoes from the store so I binge in the summer.
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2005, 07:50:46 PM »
An Amish friend of mine grows the Brandywine tomatoes and I can tell you that a better tasting tomato can't be found!  I finally got him to share some of his secrets with me this past fall, and he plants dill around the tomatoes to keep out pests.  He also 'sugars' the plants when they are ten inches tall.  He uses a cup of sugar to a gallon of water and just waters them in.  I'm going to try to grow some this season and of course, I'll have my Better Boys standing ready in case of crop failure.   :D
Save a farm today or starve tomorrow.

Offline Tom_Averwater

• Semi- retired Carpenter
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2005, 06:16:43 PM »
FarmerDoug, Do you grow any watermelons or cantalopes up there in Mich.? If so what variety do you plant ? I planted a 1/4 acre of crimson sweet last year and they did pretty good. Thought I might try some seedless this year.  Tom_A
He who dies with the most toys wins .

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2005, 06:45:32 PM »
Swampdonkey  Totally tomates has that Siberian tomato that you are looking for. www.totallytomato.com    In the paper catalog it's on page 38-#00651  Goodluck. We are about to start our grrenhouse up,or the wife is.I'm just the builder as I say.We sell garden produce too.Still have a ways to go.Maybe mid-May.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline farmerdoug

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2005, 07:31:13 PM »
Tom_A,

Yes we do plant both.  The watermelons we plant are Crimson Sweet, Yellow Doll,  Allsweet, and a seedles called RWM8073.  The cantaloupes are Superstar, Fastbreak, and Iroquois.  We planted 2 acres last year.  But with the cold summer here in Michigan the watermelon produced poorly.  The cantaloupes did great though.  If you can grow Crimson Sweet you should have no problem with the seedless variety but remember to plant a seeded variety pollinate you seedless ones.

thecfarm,  Glad to meet another market farmer.  We get an early start using greenhouses.  It gets the early business.

Glad to help if I can.  I am looking at mills and will need help with that I am sure.
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Offline UNCLEBUCK

• Senior Member x2
  • Life out on the prairie !
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2005, 01:07:04 AM »
It all sounds fun to me ! I look at all the pictures from the seed catalogs this time of year . I taught my 13 year old nephew how to grow a nice garden when he was 7 years old and helped him make a roadside stand and I will never forget the smile on his face when he checked his money box that I bolted to his portable stand and he seen dollar bills in it. He found a nitch market in sweet corn,pumpkins and winter squash and now has 5 grand saved up for college but he loves what he does growing and selling .I didnt force him to keep the weeds out but I proved to him that a clean garden means more $$$ in his pocket so he likes to play store keeper I guess .  I have never tried the heirloom stuff myself yet, vine crops go in memorial weekend around here , labor day weekend vine crops better be close to mature. Good luck with these heirloom varieties they sure sound yummy !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Offline Paschale

• Senior Member x2
  • Got bit by some snow snakes...
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2005, 02:09:41 PM »
Unclebuck,

Sounds like a great thing you did for your nephew!  13 with $5,000 in the bank...that's what I call a self starter if I ever heard of one!  I was just talking to a good friend the other day about the high cost of tuition--this person basically feels that everyone's entitled to a free education, since it's so stinkin' expensive nowadays (which is true), but I told her that I believe there are always creative ways for those who are willing to take the initiative and make it happen for themselves.  This is a perfect example!  You're teaching your nephew some valuable lessons!
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Saw cut planning....

Started by mrcaptainbob on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post March 10, 2010, 05:27:10 AM
by Chuck White
xx
Planning an ELK hunt

Started by maple flats on The Outdoor Board

12 Replies
Last post October 19, 2007, 11:44:03 PM
by semologger