The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Clearing Saws  (Read 6461 times)

Offline two4spooky

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Clearing Saws
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2019, 01:07:00 AM »
If I were to get one additional blade to what it comes with, which style would be best? I like the looks of the shredder, and I think that would be ideal for turning banks of stickers to pieces, but will it also work as a general cutter? eg smaller sticker clumps, young bittersweet, very small saplings... I have just about zero interest in cutting grass. Almost everything will have some kind of woody component. For bigger stuff, I can carry my 2511t in a pack, and pull it out if needed.

Additionally, it looks like it comes with a 10" 80 tooth blade that looks like a circular saw blade. It looks like it'll cut great til it doesn't, and would be a real bear to resharpen. Would it be worth downgrading(?) to the 8" 22 tooth blade that looks like it sharpens with a chainsaw file? All keeping in mind my intended cutting jobs.
Also, I resharpen the 80t blade with a raker file. I bought a spare 80t blade and use it to compare. The teeth angles alternate. File every other tooth then flip over and file the other 40. Easier than sharpening a saw chain well. The 80t works best on ~1/2" saplings. The tri-blade is better for our blackberry(sticker) bushes.  

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2019, 09:25:31 AM »
If your getting rid of mostly black berries and things like that a hedge trimmer works amazing!
The 3-toothed blade on a clearing saw someone showed earlier works really well for this type of stuff.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline thriceor

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2019, 08:56:23 PM »
I have been using a Stihl FS-560 off and on for over a year now.  I don't have a whole lot of hours on it, but have had no trouble with the saw.  I use primarily on honeysuckle, it will cut 5-6 inch stems, but slows down a bit when the weight of the bush pinches the blade.  It generally has plenty of power on the smaller stuff to "swing" right through.  It is heavy and quite a workout.  It is also loud, I use earplugs and ear muffs.  

I found the supplied harness uncomfortable and switched to a Husqvarna forestry harness (not sure which model).  I prefer the "Maxi" blades SwampDonkey refers to, they seem to cut better and are easy to sharpen.  I purchased them from Bailey's.

Yes, it is quite expensive, but if you have large amounts to cut or an on-going project (like honeysuckle eradication), this is the way to go.
...I'd rather trust a man who works with his hands,
He looks at you once, you know he understands...

Genesis- "The Chamber of 32 Doors"

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2019, 06:29:18 AM »
I have a 7 year old FS560 and a 16 year old FS550 I use every year. They are reliable, well made saws. But the harness is junk, so I also use the Husqvarna forestry harness. I have to use it with a buckle to attach it to the saw. The harness hook uses metal too soft for the Stihl attachment point. Been doing that for years. And finally last year I was able to get a spark screen that was open enough that it would not plug up in 2 days. The original spark screens were worthless. Couldn't get enough air, the screen carboned up by the middle of the week.
Move'n on.

Offline Air Lad

• Full Member x2
  • Onwards and upwards
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2019, 07:24:01 AM »
I have a 7 year old FS560 and a 16 year old FS550 I use every year. They are reliable, well made saws. But the harness is junk, so I also use the Husqvarna forestry harness. I have to use it with a buckle to attach it to the saw. The harness hook uses metal too soft for the Stihl attachment point. Been doing that for years. And finally last year I was able to get a spark screen that was open enough that it would not plug up in 2 days. The original spark screens were worthless. Couldn't get enough air, the screen carboned up by the middle of the week.
Maybe try using a fuel additive that will reduce carbon build up. A larger mesh sized screen seems to have helped you
Steel security door mesh has worked for me in some applications
Just cut to size with a small grinder with thin cutting disc
Am just looking into a harness for mine
The single strap is uncomfortable
Cheers
Ms 170/260c /039...Husk 142e/240e...Unloved Chinese 51.2cc that hasn't done anything wrong...2 x dead Mculloch's ..Vintage Poulan.. and a vintage Echo that still runs beaut

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2019, 07:38:23 AM »
Yeah the better screens was the answer. The original ones that came on them where just too tightly woven. New one never bunged up all summer last year. I use top quality mix oil with stabilizer in it.
Move'n on.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2019, 08:01:37 AM »
Do you know what mesh size you ended up using for that screen?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2019, 09:15:54 AM »
This plug was off the shelf, and I have no clue, other than it doesn't plug up. :D
Move'n on.

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2019, 10:30:43 AM »
Any familiarity with the echo harness, or can you see anything bad/good from the picture?
Product and Equipment Accessories for ECHO units including Safety Accessories
If I do end up getting a saw, I also have easy access to Stihl and Husqvarna dealers for a harness if echo's isn't good.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2019, 11:43:57 AM »
I don't really like the way the saw attachment hook appears to be above the pad. They are suppose to be down over the pad itself like this in link below.

https://www.husqvarna.com/ca-en/accessories/harnesses/harness-balance-xt/578449801
Move'n on.

Offline thriceor

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2019, 08:58:36 PM »
The Husqvarna Balance XT is the one I use.  It takes a bit of adjusting, but definitely distributes the load better than the Stihl harness.  The only problem I've had with the XT is that the chest buckle tends to bow out and then the underside presses against my sternum.

I know it's been mentioned before, but good eye protection and a face screen are necessary with these saws, they can throw chips all about.  I find the saw quite fun to use, until I start to wear out. 
...I'd rather trust a man who works with his hands,
He looks at you once, you know he understands...

Genesis- "The Chamber of 32 Doors"

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2019, 11:21:47 AM »
Saw's ordered, and should be in next Tuesday. I'm gonna be very angry with you guys if I end up being "clearing saw guy"  :^D

They said they couldn't swap the blade, which is fine. I'm gonna order a Maxi after I get it, and get a triblade cutter once I measure the clearance with the shield. Based on Stihl's catalog, I think it's a little too small for a shredder blade. I also got the echo harness. It was half the price of the Husqvarna XT, and they gave me 15% off that too. If it's really terrible, I can get the Husky later. Got the cutter and harness for $580 total, tax and everything. Not bad I don't think. Looking forward to tearing up some stickers  :^)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2019, 04:36:38 PM »
Well, you was meant to stand up to cut them, not bent down like a chimp. So just remind yourself of that when your taking revenge on them sticks. :D
Move'n on.

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2019, 05:15:31 PM »
Got my first time with the brushcutter today, and you guys were right; it is kinda fun  :^D

I just did some easy stuff to get a feel for the machine. Pretty much level ground, and a mix of things to cut. I'm using the 80 tooth blade, and that's not so great. It has its place I guess, but not for my purposes. It seems to be best when you need a bit more than string, but nothing too woody. I already have my tritooth blade, and I'm hoping the Maxi's waiting for me when I get home today. The stock harness isn't so great either. It'll work in a pinch, but it gets uncomfortable after awhile. I wouldn't like doing an 8 hour day in it. My "pro" harness should be in tomorrow. It didn't make it on the truck with the brushcutter last week.

Overall, I'm pleased with my purchase. Looking forward to fine tuning my technique. Only 22.5 hours left to pay it off  :^D 

Thanks everyone for the help!

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2019, 04:32:46 AM »
 thumbs-up  Another bush whacker.
Move'n on.

Offline Allar

• Full Member x2
  • Firewood Warrior!
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2019, 02:27:13 AM »
lxskllr, which one did you get? say_what
Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

Offline Air Lad

• Full Member x2
  • Onwards and upwards
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2019, 05:37:22 AM »
After watching the video way back I realized they can work in a vertical plane as well
Up until then I only used this machine at ground level
Doors have opened
cheers
Ms 170/260c /039...Husk 142e/240e...Unloved Chinese 51.2cc that hasn't done anything wrong...2 x dead Mculloch's ..Vintage Poulan.. and a vintage Echo that still runs beaut

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2019, 10:45:27 AM »
lxskllr, which one did you get? say_what
I got the echo srm-410u. That was really the only contender. It provided the necessary power at a price I wanted to pay. One of the really big Stihls would have been nice, but too much $.
I took it out again yesterday with my tripoint blade, and I really like that one. That's almost perfect for my uses. One problem I'm seeing is I need two blades at one time. Something for cutting wood, and another for shredding brush. Refining my procedures will probably give an acceptable result. Go through shredding the little stuff, then come back with the maxi blade to cut the wood, or maybe use my little saw.
I already lost the three screws holding the guard on. I'll have to buy some more along with some locktite  :rollseyes:

Offline Pine Ridge

• Part-time logger, Full time loafer
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2019, 12:22:17 PM »
I wish I had never started reading this thread. I cleared off the hillside behind our house last winter with a chainsaw, grown up clearcut jungle type mess. I sprayed it with roundup last summer, some sprouts still keep coming back. I'm starting to think I could really use a clearing saw !!!!!
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2019, 04:37:04 PM »
I wish I had never started reading this thread. I cleared off the hillside behind our house last winter with a chainsaw, grown up clearcut jungle type mess. I sprayed it with roundup last summer, some sprouts still keep coming back. I'm starting to think I could really use a clearing saw !!!!!
If I had any kind of acerage, I wouldn't have even made this thread. I'd have just bought it. My property's small, and while I let it grow up, I can handle everything with a machete. The farm I'm cleaning was let go for a long time, and it would be a full time job for a year+ to clear it with manual tools, and wouldn't be at all fun. I'm already ~80 hours in with no end in sight. Got the big vines with my chainsaw, but there's still tons of stickers and vinelettes that need to be taken care of. As much as possible, I'm also anti chemical. I figure humans made it to the 20th century witnout them, and I can too, especially since I have cushy motorized tools to use  :^D
All of which is to say, I highly recommend a clearing saw. I'm only 3.5 hours in, and I've at least doubled my machete productivity, and while I'm still getting stuck, I've also saved a bunch of blood  :^D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Clearing Saws

Started by ahlkey on Chainsaws

7 Replies
Last post April 27, 2013, 08:59:11 PM
by ahlkey
xx
Brushcutters/Clearing Saws

Started by Randall on Forestry and Logging

16 Replies
Last post June 12, 2004, 05:31:31 PM
by SwampDonkey
xx
What Brush Cutters & Clearing Saws Do You Use

Started by jpsheb on Forestry and Logging

7 Replies
Last post February 05, 2012, 10:38:02 AM
by John Mc
xx
New Husqvarna Clearing Saws 545fx Reviews?

Started by TupsTimber on Forestry and Logging

3 Replies
Last post March 28, 2013, 07:27:41 PM
by Ryan D