The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Clearing Saws  (Read 6840 times)

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
Re: Clearing Saws
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 05:51:03 PM »
Not sure what happened to that 2nd link. I had a tab open for a couple days, maybe they changed the url. This was the second blade...

Code: [Select]
https://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Accessories/Trimmer-and-Brushcutter-Accessories/Blades/22-Tooth-Clearing-Blade-(20mm-Arbor)

Just saw the poor review. The guy said it dulls fast, but if it's just a matter of hitting it with a chainsaw file, I'm used to doing that.

edit:
Seems like the forum's trashing the url. Dunno...

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 05:57:24 PM »
These guys are using the 'shredder blade 320-2' on their FS560's and a lighter guard.

Shredder blade 320-2 - Special tool for strong undergrowth

Might be something to look into.

Move'n on.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 06:02:05 PM »
Not sure what happened to that 2nd link. I had a tab open for a couple days, maybe they changed the url. This was the second blade...

Code: [Select]
https://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Accessories/Trimmer-and-Brushcutter-Accessories/Blades/22-Tooth-Clearing-Blade-(20mm-Arbor)

Just saw the poor review. The guy said it dulls fast, but if it's just a matter of hitting it with a chainsaw file, I'm used to doing that.

edit:
Seems like the forum's trashing the url. Dunno...
We use a similar blade over here in New Brunswick, but it is called the Maxi blade. A bit different profile. All the blade brands are pretty much the same, out of Sweden except Stihl's are out of Japan. I think the Maxi's are hard to find in the US than the regular chisel tooth in your link. They are quick to file with a file guide. Just stay out of the mud and rocks and fences. Fences are nasty on blades. :D
Move'n on.

Offline Drew62

• Its better to live in the trees than die on your k
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 06:54:08 PM »
To the o.p.-now look,your being difficult here,trust me,you NEED  a big clearing saw,frankly you're looking at the ultimate flexible powerful tool here.Anything from clearing lawn edges to trimming large areas of big grass,to felling hay,to clearing bramble patches as high as your neck 8),to clearing big areas of troublesome sapling growth,c'mon,you just KNOW you need one of these
A slave to the machines.

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 07:49:35 PM »
I like the look of that shredder blade. That looks like it would be perfect for stickers. The problem I have with them and a chainsaw, is I cut the stalks off at the base, and they literally go nowhere. It's a freestanding unit with all the branches interlocked. Blasting them to bits would be the ideal way of handling them. Some of these haven't seen attention in I don't know how long, and they're the better part of 1"/stalk at the base.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2019, 10:24:05 PM »
I can't stand the blades like the one you linked that has 80 teeth. They don't seem to cut very well and are a pain to sharpen. The 22-tooth blade you linked cuts saplings fairly well, and resharpens easily & quickly (much faster than sharpening a chainsaw) with a 7/32" round file. Husqvarna calls these their "Scarlet" blade.

SwampDonkey mentioned the Maxi blade. He told me about this one years ago. It looks a bit like the 22-tooth blade you linked, but cuts much better. They are available in the US, but not many people in my area seem to stock them. I've been buying them online. Here are a couple of links. I'm not sure if these are the size to fit the brush saw you are thinking of, but they give you the idea. The difference from the Scarlett blade is subtle: look in the gullet of the teeth.
Windsor Maxi Blade
Husqvarna Maxi Blade
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Air Lad

• Full Member x2
  • Onwards and upwards
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2019, 02:33:47 AM »
These guys are using the 'shredder blade 320-2' on their FS560's and a lighter guard.

Shredder blade 320-2 - Special tool for strong undergrowth

Might be something to look into.
Crikey
Need to keep em separated  :o
Friendly fire could be ugly
But these look like my triple blade thing
Ms 170/260c /039...Husk 142e/240e...Unloved Chinese 51.2cc that hasn't done anything wrong...2 x dead Mculloch's ..Vintage Poulan.. and a vintage Echo that still runs beaut

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2019, 05:33:59 AM »
More like a lawn mower, two blades. :D

What kind of blades to do DR Brush mowers use you walk behind?

Stay away from wire and old relic farm machinery junk in the ground. :D
Move'n on.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2019, 07:09:27 AM »
What kind of blades to do DR Brush mowers use you walk behind?

DR Brush Mowers use blades that look a lot like what's on a Brush Hog you use on the 3 point hitch of a tractor, just a bit smaller.

DR also sells what looks like a string trimmer on wheels. They call it a "Trimmer Mower". An option they sell for these is a 12" "Beaver Blade" (looks like a circular saw blade, but with chainsaw chain wrapped around the outer edge).

The wheeled string trimmer might be nice if you had a lot of fence line to mow. I got to try one with the Beaver blade installed. It cut OK, and might also be good for fence line or open field duty (though I prefer my handheld clearing saw). I could not imagine using it in the woods at all.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Allar

• Full Member x2
  • Firewood Warrior!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2019, 02:09:38 PM »
This is the blade that i use the majority of the time. I even use it for grass when i'm to lazy to change the head xD Works well tho.
You sharpen it the same way, like you sharpen your lawnmover blade.
You can use it to cut 1inch thick stuff, i have taken down up to 2inch but it takes more time and puts more stress on the machine.

Amazon.com: 10" x 3 Teeth Steel Brush Cutter, Trimmer, Weed Eater Blade: Home Improvement

This is a proper forest blade. You can sharpen it with a 5.5mm chainsaw file.
However, you do need to 'bend' the teeths from time to time to create clearence.
This is the best tool for that type of blade. Amazon.com : Husqvarna File Setting Tool 505698120 for Chain Saws : Garden & Outdoor

Husqvarna 20022t Scarlett 8" Brush Cutter Blade 323R, 336FR, 345FR, 555FX: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2019, 02:31:46 PM »
For thinning dense tree stems we use this blade.

And this set tool/ file guide. Easy to file.

Move'n on.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2019, 02:38:08 PM »
I believe the 'Beaver' blade was discontinued for safety reasons, the cutters broke off too easily. I have used and liked the blade SD shows, I carried a couple of spares and sharpened them at the end of the day. Rocks and fence wire are hard on them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2019, 03:05:04 PM »
I think them beaver blades are on US websites, but not up here. I've never seen one in any shop. I wouldn't want one of them chains let loose from something spinning 10,000 rpm's. That would hurt on the leg. :D
Move'n on.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2019, 03:46:52 PM »
DR Power still lists the Beaver Blade on their web site. I never did like them. The Maxi blade cuts faster and is faster to sharpen.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2019, 03:56:35 PM »
@Allar If you are using a the Scarlet blade you linked in reply #29, you should try one of the Maxi blades I linked and that Swamp Donkey showed a picture of. I'm not sure why, but they seem to cut better than the Scarlett blade. They are also made of better steel, so they hold an edge longer. I switched a few years ago at Swamp Donkey's recommendation, and have been happy I did.

I use the 3 armed blade you mentioned for cutting light, brush, and some smaller softwood saplings. I've done a few 2" pines, but generally limit myself to less than 1" softwoods. Tried it on Buckthorn, but if it's more than about 1/2" to 3/4", I don't use that style blade. It's just too hard on the machine.

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2019, 04:07:32 PM »
If I were to get one additional blade to what it comes with, which style would be best? I like the looks of the shredder, and I think that would be ideal for turning banks of stickers to pieces, but will it also work as a general cutter? eg smaller sticker clumps, young bittersweet, very small saplings... I have just about zero interest in cutting grass. Almost everything will have some kind of woody component. For bigger stuff, I can carry my 2511t in a pack, and pull it out if needed.

Additionally, it looks like it comes with a 10" 80 tooth blade that looks like a circular saw blade. It looks like it'll cut great til it doesn't, and would be a real bear to resharpen. Would it be worth downgrading(?) to the 8" 22 tooth blade that looks like it sharpens with a chainsaw file? All keeping in mind my intended cutting jobs.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2019, 04:15:07 PM »
Yes, get a chisel tooth blade, either style. I prefer the 'Maxi' chisel tooth, on the right. Cuts better.

Move'n on.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2019, 04:36:31 PM »
Additionally, it looks like it comes with a 10" 80 tooth blade that looks like a circular saw blade. It looks like it'll cut great til it doesn't, and would be a real bear to resharpen. Would it be worth downgrading(?) to the 8" 22 tooth blade that looks like it sharpens with a chainsaw file? All keeping in mind my intended cutting jobs.

Switching to either style of the Chisel tooth blades is definitely an upgrade from that 80 tooth blade. As SD mentioned, the Maxi style is better.

Offline Jeremyvan

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2019, 07:31:43 PM »
If your getting rid of mostly black berries and things like that a hedge trimmer works amazing! 

Offline two4spooky

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2019, 12:52:07 AM »
Contemplating getting a clearing saw. Still cutting vines on the boss' farm, and the stickers are getting on my nerves. Been holding off cause I don't really need one for my stuff, and I like being "the guy with the chainsaw" which sometimes gets you fun work, as opposed to being "the guy with the clearing saw" which will never get you fun work. That's like being "the guy with the posthole diggers"  :^P

So... Are they pretty cool to have? I'd like something that can make quick easy work of stickers, and small saplings.  I've used weedeaters before, but nothing with a blade. Echo's 15% off day is coming near me at the beginning of April, and I'm thinking of their best unit...

SRM-410U Gas Grass and Weed Brushcutter | ECHO USA

It would take ~24 hours of working on the farm to pay it off, whereas using my chainsaws is just about all profit at this point, but absolutely no fun in the huge banks of stickers. I've been leaving them for the most part, only cutting into them so I can get to the bittersweet and other vines. Best case scenario, is I talk him into buying it himself, and I'll use it, but I'm just about at the point of getting it on my own so I can see things prettied up, instead of the rats nests of junk everywhere.
I had a similar need a few months ago clearing water and gas lines. Like you I had been using chainsaws and long machetes plus a Stihl FS 100r with heavy .105" X-line(sp?). I ended up with my first clearing saw, the ECHO 410 you linked. I am a STIHL fanboy but could not justify a comparable Stihl's added cost. The Echo has been great and fills the gap between chainsaw and blade, a real time and back saver. Well worth it. I agree with removing white plastic H(on the side) and L(on top) limiters. The Echo HD harness is a worth while improvement. I am still trying to figure out which blade type works best for my needs. But the Echo 410 has been a good machine, simple and well built. I would buy it again.                

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Clearing Saws

Started by ahlkey on Chainsaws

7 Replies
Last post April 27, 2013, 08:59:11 PM
by ahlkey
xx
Brushcutters/Clearing Saws

Started by Randall on Forestry and Logging

16 Replies
Last post June 12, 2004, 05:31:31 PM
by SwampDonkey
xx
What Brush Cutters & Clearing Saws Do You Use

Started by jpsheb on Forestry and Logging

7 Replies
Last post February 05, 2012, 10:38:02 AM
by John Mc
xx
New Husqvarna Clearing Saws 545fx Reviews?

Started by TupsTimber on Forestry and Logging

3 Replies
Last post March 28, 2013, 07:27:41 PM
by Ryan D