The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Solubor and glycol  (Read 20518 times)

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: Solubor and glycol
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2012, 09:55:02 PM »
John,

My brother runs a fertilizer/seed/farm supply business (Meherrin) in Hawkinsville and he can get the Solubor for you in 50# bags.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Sixacresand

• Senior Member x2
  • John and Nancy
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2012, 10:00:37 PM »
John,

My brother runs a fertilizer/seed/farm supply business (Meherrin) in Hawkinsville and he can get the Solubor for you in 50# bags.

Thanks Danny.  Maybe I can get the L & L in Milledgeville to order it for me.  If not, Hawkinsville is not that far. 

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2012, 10:04:03 PM »
Yes, they should be able to order it as it is a fertilizer additive for mixing with liquid fertilizer. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Den Socling

• Senior Member x2
  • just wondering
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2012, 09:43:32 AM »
And the polypropylene glycol in antifreeze is not what you want as a wood preservative.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2012, 08:20:43 PM »
John,

I got you a bag today if you want it.  I can bring it Saturday.  If you don't need it, I will keep it as I use a lot of it.

Offline PineNut

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2012, 10:13:41 PM »
I have been using the Navy mix that calls for 1 gal of antifreeze, 4 and ˝ lbs of borax and 3 and ˝ lbs of boric acid. This mix does require heating to 260 F. The best I can determine, this is similar to Boracare. I get the borax at Wal-Mart which is the cheapest place I have found. You can get the boric acid at Wal-Mart as roach power but I find it cheaper (even with shipping) to get it from www.chemistrystore.com in 55 lb bags (currently at 89.10 + shipping.)

Farm supply stores can order Solubor for you.

The above mix is water-soluble and will leach out when the wood is exposed to water. It is recommended for dry locations where it will not be wet. It is primarily for insect control.

While I would like to dip my lumber but I have not set up a tank for this. I have a drain board made from a 3 ft wide piece of metal roofing with removable plastic sides. Use a sump pump to pump the solution over the lumber. The removable sides let me pick the lumber up with a FEL. It takes about 5 gal of mixture to prime the system plus the amount you use. If dipping, the minimum solution would be considerable more. I use a 5:1 mix ratio, which is recommended for dipping or flowing. If spraying, you should use a considerable stronger ratio like 1:1 or 1:2. When applying with a roller, I have used a 1:3 ratio.

When treating lumber, I usually have it on the FEL beside the “tank”. Then brush the sawdust off the lumber. (Don’t want to spend money treating sawdust.) Lumber is placed over the tank and the solution is flowed over the lumber using a sump pump and hose. I wet it good on one side and the edge closest to me, then turn it over and do the other side and edge. Lumber is then stacked on the far side of the tank and the process repeated. Do not try to drain the solution off the lumber but let it stay and soak in to the lumber. After the stack is completed, the lumber is moved and left dead stacked for a day or so. Then it is sticked and dried. Sometimes when cutting 8 ft 2 x 4, I will stick it horizontally and vertically as it comes off the mill in a stack 3 wide by 4 high (1/2 inch stickers) and band it. Then treat the bundle as a unit. Less handling that way.   

Here are some photos of my facility.

Treatment "tank"

Filter

Offline Left Coast Chris

• Senior Member x2
  • A day sawing is always a special day
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2012, 02:08:02 PM »
Hi Guys,   I have used Timbore for a number of years and have done real well with it.   I started 10 years ago with massive powder post infestation in my shop racks of air dried English Walnut.  The ppb will crawl a mile to find the English Walnut sap wood.   I unloaded the whole shop of all the wood and sprayed with 10% Timbore powder in hot water.   

The way it works is killing the bettle as it is going in.  The holes are caused by the larve or hatched larve coming out.  Its too late to kill after you see the holes for that generation.   I quarentined all the wood for several months before restacking in the shop.  I had to retreat one or two boards again but no big deal.   The 10% solution is supposed to be a permanent treatment and it has done just that.  After the first bad several generation infestation I now treat any new wood going into an adjacent storage area and have had no bugs in that wood.....ever (knock on wood  :) )

If it is ppb you are after, the Timbore has worked real well in my case. 

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
    • Share Post
    • Whispering Pines Farm
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2012, 12:14:28 AM »
Question - if one goes the "antifreeze" route, what are the downsides to using standard green Ethylene Glycol based antifreeze instead of the special low toxicity Propylene Glycol antifreeze?

Other than being careful about animals licking the wood while it's wet, I would presume that the low amount of antifreeze absorbed by the wood is insufficient to be harmful to humans when working the wood.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Offline MikeySP

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2019, 09:27:24 AM »
@Den Socling , I know it has been a day or two since you wrote in reply #43 above:

"And the polypropylene glycol in antifreeze is not what you want as a wood preservative."

I have searched to answer "why?" this is so, but to no avail. Would you tell me why this is true? I happened to buy some borax, boric acid, and rv antifreeze; but, don't want to waste my time if this is a poor performer. Thank you. -Mike

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2019, 10:28:39 AM »
Den hasn't been on in a couple years.
Glycols are not wood preservatives their purpose is to hold a wet edge for the borate to move on. Either glycol will work for this purpose. For borating dry wood what you're wanting is a solution that dries slowly. As I mentioned in another thread a day or two ago borate only diffuses into or out of a cell when it is above fiber saturation point, when you can see the wet in the wood. That is what the glycol is doing. So your RV antifreeze is fine, often cheaper. I watch the drying conditions and doctor the mix with glycol based on how much I need to keep it wet, I'm stingy and cheap. BoraCare runs about 50/50, I typically run 5-10% glycol with dry wood unless it is very bright and dry. This isn't French perfume, hit it hard and multiple times if possible. I prefer a dip tray if possible.

BTW a few drops of dishwashing soap, not foamy just a few drops, will help break the surface tension and let the liquid wet out better.
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Using Solubor for Bugs!

Started by Andy White on Drying and Processing

6 Replies
Last post June 26, 2014, 11:55:48 AM
by mesquite buckeye
xx
Solubor treatment

Started by jrkimroxie on Drying and Processing

4 Replies
Last post July 15, 2012, 08:47:06 AM
by jdonovan