The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Sawing Full Time  (Read 8254 times)

Offline Deese

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Sawing Full Time
« Reply #120 on: May 13, 2019, 03:51:45 PM »
I've been stashing logs everywhere for the past couple years...Finished this erc around 11AM this morning. I will deliver two or three 8x8x10's tonight and the rest is mainly 3x6's. I needed 33 total and only got 20 or so from the logs at this spot. Moving to the other logs I've got and finishing the 3x6 order this evening and delivering them tomorrow. 

'04 LT40HDD51

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Team red, white, blue and orange
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #121 on: May 14, 2019, 05:41:54 PM »
Looking good bud, run like hell!
Boy, back in my day..

Offline Mossey Chariot

• Forest Vue LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2019, 08:18:38 PM »
Wearing me out just reading about you adventure. Great job glad you are doing what you love!
Tony B
LT35HD, Kubota 3450, Wallenstein Skidding Winch, Stihl 250 & 460, can-am Defender

Offline Deese

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #123 on: Yesterday at 12:20:41 AM »
Got a stomach/intestinal virus (stomach flu) and was completely shut down Tuesday - Friday. I was SICK SICK Monday night through Wednesday. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy (I don't have any). Tried to finish sawing some ERC on Thursday and immediately broke out in a cold sweat and heart pounding couldn't keep my breath. I was bad dehydrated. Made the 20 minute drive into town and bought 2 gallons of off brand Pedialyte and chugged it for the next 24 hours and I started feeling better over the weekend. It was probably Sunday before I had that "pep in my step" again and felt close to 100%. 
I've had the "stomach bug" before, but nothing NOTHING like this time. Looking back, I'm pretty sure I know why...I had been pushing myself so hard and was already bad dehydrated when the symptoms hit. So, my body took a double beating. Leason learned. I've always taken my health for granted and pushed too hard, and I'll admit I stayed bad dehydrated pretty much since I started working for myself. I was "too busy" taking care of everything else instead of my body. I will not let that happen again. 

The past two days have been wild crazy busy, trying to catch up. I got up at 5am this morning visiting a new customer and his logs...He's the largest landowner in the county adjacent to me. The number of logs is mind boggling. Then spent the remainder of the day sawing southern red oak and syp that customers had dropped off. Not much, around 450bf. It's close to midnight and I just finished sharpening sawblades trying to get ready for a nice portable job this Thursday sawing 60 bald cypress logs. I don't think they are crazy big, and good equipment and help will be there so hopefully I can finish it all in 12 hours. The only thing I must do tomorrow is saw 300bf of syp 1x8x14's and a few 4x12x20 syp beams. 

Oh yeah one last thing, I've got a customer wanting live edge slabs from a 40"+ diameter magnolia log. Wants the entire thing slabbed libe edge. What type chainsaw mill should I buy to get this job done? I've got a Stihl 661 chainsaw. Any advice would be appreciated 

'04 LT40HDD51

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #124 on: Yesterday at 12:42:14 AM »
Pass on that slabbing job. You have plenty of work and it is outside the scope of what you can efficiently do.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT  2001 WM LT40SHDD (42HP Kubota, Accuset2, FAO's, Lubemizer, debarker),  Logrite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Offline Mfrost459

• Exploring a new adventure everyday!
    • Share Post
« Reply #125 on: Yesterday at 06:30:21 AM »
Glad to hear you are feeling better. Be sure to take care of yourself first. Your body is the most important asset you have.
Grandenburg makes one of the best chainsaw mills. I have one and it has worked great. One man can handle it fairly well. Get it with the winch. Only cost about $100 and it is worth every penny. I have the 72 in that will cut 56 in wide. We run a Stihl 880 power head. They have a chart on the website that will tell you what size mill will fit your power head.
These machines are now where near as fast as the Woodmizer so pricing out these jobs are a bit different. Check out some of the threads on pricing there is some good advise here.
Have a great day milling!

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #126 on: Yesterday at 06:39:59 AM »

I'd buy a wide bandsaw mill instead of a chainsaw mill. Quit working those 18 hour days, you'll get burnt out.  Steve
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #127 on: Yesterday at 07:25:47 AM »
On the Magnolia log, tell the customer to take it to Gasawyer or Nomad. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #128 on: Yesterday at 07:34:23 AM »
Good advice from Dennis, Steve and Danny.  Concentrate on your present sawing and pass odd jobs that would require more equipment, time, and expense.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Nomad

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Bill's Mill Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #129 on: Yesterday at 11:57:23 AM »
Good advice on the slabbing job.  A chainsaw slabber like the Grandburg has it's place, but only in very limited terms.  If you want to cut really big slabs, get a really big slabber.  But don't try to be everything for everybody; it'll always come back to bite you on the backside.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM

Online Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #130 on: Yesterday at 12:41:20 PM »
Deese
Please take care of yourself first.
Take it from me the long hours and no down time take a toll on your health.
I enjoy working it was the only thing I was ever good at.
It very painful when that's taken from you.
You best insurance in life is your health more so when you are self-employed. 
Bruno
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #131 on: Yesterday at 01:34:56 PM »
You could offer to split it in half or quarters with your chainsaw and then mill it on the band mill.  I would start such an offer by asking if they are sure they want it that wide, the widest containing the pith, how would they machine it for example, thick wood takes a while to dry,  wide slabs like that will be heavy and the slabs might not have a pleasing shape if the log is tapered etc etc-keep in mind you are presenting all this in a very positive light, Especially since cutting it in half and putting it on the bandsaw can avoid all these problems.😁 As well as giving stable quartersawn wood with one natural edge which they can book match into a 4 foot wide table with riftsawn legs, none of this sounding heavy or slow anymore. 😆😆Your goal being to score a nice job for a day that you can take in stride with your other jobs, and make it home before dark not feeling like youve been stepped on. And giving the customer excellent results at a great price for both of you.Just another way to think about it.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT  2001 WM LT40SHDD (42HP Kubota, Accuset2, FAO's, Lubemizer, debarker),  Logrite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #132 on: Yesterday at 01:49:01 PM »

Cypress butt too big to saw so let's split it.

Making the cut.

Successfully split.

One half loaded onto the sawmill.

A few of the boards.

Bookmatched and stickered.

Another view of the whack.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #133 on: Yesterday at 05:56:52 PM »
I was going to echo what others have said, the most important piece of your equipment is yourself.  I used to push real hard, and then while I was laying in the hospital with my new titanium total hip replacement I calculated that in that one year alone I had lifted, toted, carried or otherwise hefted a little over 1.14 million pounds of wood.  I had burned out pretty much every piece of equipment I had, including myself.  Theres a topic I started in the Business section about it called Change of Business Plan.

Anyway, dont worry, you will get all the work you can possibly do, but you cant do it stuck on your back.  

So keep up the good work, but also realize as I did, that you, as a piece of business equipment, are a consumable, will depreciate and wear out.  So, as I learned the hard way, managing and rationing my physical work was one of the most important parts of managing the business.  Work hard, work smart, and Take steps to save steps.  

Congratulations on your business, its taking off.
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Online Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #134 on: Yesterday at 06:20:16 PM »
Well said YH
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools

Online Southside

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #135 on: Yesterday at 09:59:45 PM »
Agree completely with YH there, and I can add that it only takes a moment and one wrong step to put you at a complete stop for a long, long time.  We break fast, but heal slowly, even at your age.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline Lawg Dawg

• True South Sawmill Lumber
    • Share Post
« Reply #136 on: Yesterday at 11:19:59 PM »
I've been working 5 or 6 10 to 12 hr days for 8 years now sawmilling and woodworking...my grandpa is 87 yrs old and still farms about 50 acres (500 in his hay days)...he told me to make sure I EAT GOOD everyday the way I work...best advice EVER   :D 

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc
John Deere 5020, John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Online Southside

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #137 on: Yesterday at 11:48:57 PM »
Dawg - I did't realize you were partially retired now. Good going.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline Deese

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #138 on: Today at 12:05:17 AM »
Thanks my friends. Excellent advice. Worn out but felt like I needed to at least type a quick response before bed. I will discuss other options with the customer. If he insists on slabbing it, then I will put him in contact with a forum friend who can handle it better than I. Dangit guys! I was kinda excited about sawing it! I see it as a challenge but I do have plenty of work at this present time...Anyways, Just now finished setting teeth on a bunch of my resharpened 7 1 1/2" .055's in preparation for tomorrow's bald cypress portable job. Setting up at 6AM. It's only a 20 minute drive so I'm good. I've never sawed b cypress on the LT40 so we're going to see just how fast the 51hp diesel and .055's can blow through them. I AM Excited. Put your seatbelts on. 
'04 LT40HDD51

Offline Deese

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #139 on: Today at 12:34:56 AM »
Oh yeah forgot to mention that I got this on Sunday. Only 200 hours on machine. Man oh man...

'04 LT40HDD51

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
A part time portable sawmill business goes full time

Started by pnyberg on Sawmills and Milling

25 Replies
Last post November 17, 2010, 09:04:24 AM
by ahlkey
xx
Going Full Time

Started by McCormack on Sawmills and Milling

38 Replies
Last post January 03, 2008, 10:28:29 AM
by cantcutter