The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Figuring BF on Live Edge Slabs  (Read 1197 times)

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
Re: Figuring BF on Live Edge Slabs
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2019, 04:36:18 PM »
Maybe not. I like that it works  for any shape and I only have to write down two widths.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide, 2001 WM LT40SHDD (42HP Kubota, Accuset2, FAO's, Lubemizer, debarker),  Logrite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2019, 07:29:37 PM »
Why make life so complicated? 

I will not compete with the low ballers. 

BF dont matter when you are selling to a "feature" finishing client. I find out what the cutomer wants/ DESIRES and I sell to that requirement, even if I have to make it. 

I have sold all manner of pieces to some of the top finishing people in the region for prices that most would choke on, BUT when those pieces are headed into a house that has a fireplace that cost well OVER 750K NOT including the house and the house has about 4000 sq ft of exterior deck that cost more than the fireplace, you have to deliver a piece(s) that are made to that standard and you don't give them away. 

I have had customers want cancel orders because they thought the product was too low quality because the price was very near to normal BF price for most lumber. I told them to come see what other pieces I had. When they got to the shop I showed them the piece (4"x12"ish x10' live edge Birch) that I had in mind and had quoted them a price for and they really wanted it. When they asked me what the price would be I jacked it to 2500.00 (from the $400 I had quoted) and then she said she liked 2 other 2"x 8" ish x8' pieces and wanted a price for the 3 pieces (all birch same tree). I said $4500 for the 3 pieces. Her husband said hows $4000 cash sound?

I said sold! He counted out the cash and they left with 3 very high quality pieces of lumber that went into a house that is valued at just over $5 million. 

$4000 for feature pieces in a house like that is like $50 paint brush to paint an $10,000 out house comparatively. 

If you ain't livin on the edge you are takin up way to much room. Of course at my age if I get too close to that edge any more theres a good chance I may fall off.
2001 Dodge 1500 4x4. 2018 F150
2007 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 almost Super
2 Logrite 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2019, 08:45:41 PM »
Bandmill,

My dad must have read the same business books you did. He had a family monument business with a display of stones starting at maybe $300 for a small double marker (Husband and wife) which was fully functional, next one would maybe be $750 and the Cadillac model was $2000. Sometimes people would come in and want to know if that was the biggest they could get and he would tell them they could also get any of them in African Black granite but that was 3X the price of blue Georgia granite and that would be what they wanted. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Converting your logs to lumber at my home or yours
    • Share Post
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2019, 08:53:40 PM »
Because so much of the process is done by the board foot (buying logs, milling fees, etc.), I keep the board foot costs in mind when setting prices.  For individual boards, I figure the board footage and multiply by my price per board foot.  For specialty pieces, like thick live-edge, tabletops, bookmatched sets, I start with my board foot price, and go up for uniqueness, beauty, or desirability.  

If individual 8/4, live-edge, walnut planks were selling for $7 per board foot, a 40 bf matched pair would not be $280, probably $350-$500.  It is not unusual for a log to yield 3 consecutive planks, which means two potential bookmatches - when the buyer chooses it is one bookmatch and an orphan.  I may have another set of 3 below the pith.  Once in awhile I'll get 4 above and 4 below, but that is very rare.
07 Timberking B-20, Custom-made log arch, 20' trailer w/ log loading arch, F350 SD flatbed dump.  Princeton piggy-back forklift.  Bobcat S250, Stihl 025C 16" and a Husqvarna 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says "He's sawin logs", I ain't snorin'.

Offline Lawg Dawg

• True South Sawmill Lumber
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2019, 10:05:46 PM »
I just kinda guesstimate the board footage on slabs...mostly it's looking at the wood and saying to yourself, how much would someone come here and pay for this piece of wood...figure out your MARKET, then go from there.

Old Successful Business Man in the lumber buisiness told me one time..."I'll take a FAST nickel over a SLOW dime any day"...and that's how I stay VERY BUSY all the time!  ;D
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
 John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2019, 10:38:01 PM »
Lawg Dawg,

I hope I don't offend you but that analogy reminds me of a guy we had were supposed to have had in our community who used to buy a pack of gum (5 pieces) for a quarter and sold them for a nickle each. He did not make a lot of money but he had a pretty fast turnover. ???
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
MC on live edge slabs

Started by xlogger on Drying and Processing

9 Replies
Last post July 26, 2017, 09:16:19 PM
by GeneWengert-WoodDoc
xx
Live Edge Slabs

Started by Weekend_Sawyer on Sawmills and Milling

17 Replies
Last post June 26, 2019, 03:09:12 PM
by florida