The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Old willys vs tractor for logging?  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Old willys vs tractor for logging?
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2019, 07:47:40 AM »
Not sure what part of Ontario you are in but there are lots of cheap tractors on kijiji, something a little bigger than a 8n or 9n with hi/lo range would be better. 

Offline Puffergas

• Share Post
    • Puffergas
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2019, 10:38:38 PM »
What ever machine you end up with; make sure it has a ROP and a belly pan under you. Sticks like to go up the cab floor and stab people. Machines can be repaired but people not so easy. Jeeps are valuable, maybe sell it and buy another machine. We used a Jeep for firewood. It was nice with a tow bar. Could come home with a load of fire wood in the back of the pickup, Jeep in tow and the trailer behind the Jeep.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Offline krusty

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2019, 09:40:12 PM »
I have a 52 Willys PU and for cutting firewood an old Willys could be fine with a small trailer on the back. Fall a tree, buck it up, drive right up to it and load the cut wood into the trailer. Plus as said elsewhere, good to carry lunch an a beer in for the end of day drive out of the woods. Anything more than that would be hard on it.

Offline AnvilRW

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2019, 01:12:15 AM »
I'd rather use the Willys than the 8n,  Keep it in low range and don't try to do more than 40-hp worth of work and you'll be fine.  If the Willys is going to take a month of work to get usable, I'd probably pass.  I use mine all the time for working in the woods but if I'm going to do serious work, I use machines more suited to the task. 

"A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us."

Offline square1

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2019, 06:06:17 AM »
Those old Willys have a very weak reverse gear. So weak that reverse is going to fail the first time you try to back up with almost any weight in addition to the Willys itself.

Offline Blackcanyon

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2019, 05:32:59 AM »
I'm new to this forum and unfortunately haven't figured out how to add photos yet but you mentioned you have a mill. One of the first things I sawed on my mill was a wood shod sled. You make runners around 3" wide, 8" high and 8' long works good. I used a cherry log with a pronounced sweep that already had a curve for the front. You make cross bunks that are around 4" wide, 5" high and 5' long. I then lay the bunks on top of the runners 6' on center and drill 1 1/8" holes through the bunks and about 3/4 of the way into the runners. I then cut 1" pipe to about 12" to slide down into the holes. The last thing you need is two 3/16" cables in a cross that have the ends in a loop held with cable clamps that you put over the top of the pipes. ( this is so when turning the sled only has so much give side to side. I load the sled with a peavy and ramps and pull it with a chain hitched to the middle of the front bunk. You can take it apart and move it in the back of the Willis or a pickup and when empty you can turn it around by hand etc. wish I had pictures but if you talk to any old timer that logged with bulls or horses they will tell you all you need to know about a wood shod sled.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Logging with a Tractor

Started by Rob30 on Forestry and Logging

12 Replies
Last post February 12, 2018, 06:59:11 PM
by 47sawdust
xx
Tractor logging

Started by mainiac on Forestry and Logging

24 Replies
Last post November 25, 2010, 10:09:16 AM
by Dougofthenorth