The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: My mill is sick  (Read 4891 times)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: My mill is sick
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2019, 05:43:23 PM »
   Well, if it was sick before its on life support now. :( :'( :'( I replaced the lower cam follower bearing and by all indications that was the problem as the old bearing will not turn and all the others (upper ones and rollers) will.

However to access the top of the bearing shaft to hold it with an allen wrench while I took the hex nut off I had to loosen and move the plate down that it was connected to which happens to be the one connected to the lower rail . I got the old bearing off and the new one on but when I went to reconnect the plate I needed to lower the head just a fudge to line the bolts back up. When it moved it did not stop and the entire head assembly jumped completely off the mill. My little FEL on my JD 750 is not big enough to lift it so I have a neighbor hopefully coming in the morning with a bigger tractor and FEL and hopefully we can get it set back into place then I can see how much damage is really done. It is not a pretty sight right now. The last thing you ever want to see is your mill in 2 separate pieces. I will say this has forced me to learn way more about my mill than I ever wanted to do.

If I ever have to replace the lower cam follower again I will have it under a big limb with a chainfall or a piece of equipment big enough to lift it. I still see no way to get the cam follower off without removing that plate.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2019, 06:00:42 PM »
Must be different than the LT40.  ?? 

I lowered the head down onto a timber (seen behind the wipes) supporting the outside edge of the saw head which took all of the pressure off of the cam followers. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline millwright

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2019, 06:11:32 PM »
Hope you didnt get hurt, keep us posted. I may have to do mine sometime

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2019, 07:37:57 PM »
Lynn,

I can't see from your photo where the cam follower is. Look at it and see if you can get an allen wrench into the top of the bearing shaft without taking something loose. That was my downfall. I could turn the hex nut on the bottom with a 15/16" end wrench but without the hex wrench holding the shaft it would all just spin. It came off easily once I locked the top with the hex wrench. I had a timber (6x6) under the front like you show but I was using one that was 4' long so the head was much higher. When I got the new bearing on the holes in the plate did not line up and I needed to lower the head just a bit to get them straight. When I raised the head to take tension off the 6X6 the head rolled back then fell. There was nothing connected at the bottom to stop it.

MW,

I got a bruised left shoulder vacating the area when it started to fall. Could have been much worse.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Online Southside

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2019, 07:54:06 PM »
From what you can tell does it look like it survived the fall?  Glad you did.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2019, 08:04:11 PM »
Glad it's only a bruise. If it came apart it will go back together. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2019, 08:11:50 PM »
Howard since yours is a single mast that I have never actually seen, I am sure that it is much different from the LT40.  I just figured that you would remove the saw head weight and have easy access to the cam followers.  Obviously I was wrong.   :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2019, 08:57:36 PM »
Lynn,

That is not to say I removed it the correct way either but it was/is the only way I saw/see to do it. The scary part now is finally realizing that one bracket is all that holding the entire head on the rails. I guess during transport would be the most dangerous time for it to come loose and at that point it would be on its travel pin with the safety chain holding it down. A simple hole in the bracket above the bearing shaft would allow you to insert the hex wrench from above to lock the shaft so you could unscrew the nut below but I am not an engineer smart enough to figure something like that out (unless I drill one next time).

I did have the head resting on the post as WM suggested and it did keep the weight off the bearing so it was free to move. I guess they assumed I would use a shorter post and I will next time.

We talked way more about how to get the upper bearings off as you can't access the nut with a wrench. Turns out you don't need to - you just unscrew with a hex wrench and the nut locks against the side of the metal tube it is in.

BTW - Stephen1, are you talking about the mill or my arm? :D

Southside - I think it will. Can't tell what parts may be damaged till I can get it off the ground. I should have got the chicken!
Howard Green

Offline gdaddy01

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2019, 10:32:22 PM »
I hope you are all right , and get your mill back together without any other problems .

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2019, 11:16:03 PM »
   Thanks. I hope so too. I know I need a new air filter cover on my Kholer 25 engine as the corner of the one I have is broken. The handle on the lube tank broke. I may be able to superglue it back and if not replacing the whole valve will not be a big issue. I don't know what laying on it's side is doing to the oil in the engine but I bet it is not good for it. I know the aluminum guard that runs in front of the blade and rollers snapped out and is likely bent but that should be an easy fix.

I had the power feed assembly and the chain off as part of my troubleshooting and that may have saved me some damage to it. I got the fuel and lube tanks off so the fuel would not run out and the connection to the tank looked okay. I am sure I will have to realign the blade guide rollers and blade tilt and such. Time will tell. If I can't fix it here I may get to finally visit the famous town of Shade Gap PA as the NC shop, while closer and where I bought it, is moving locations and out of pocket for such work for a while.

I will let you know what I find and what I learn.
Howard Green

Online YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2019, 11:26:14 PM »
Im glad you survived the crash.  That could have been bad.  I never replaced my cam followers, I had the WM guy do it on his service loop.  Im glad I didnt try, although he did it pretty fast with a piece of wood and a crowbar.  

Hope you get it back together with no more issues. 
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline MartyParsons

• Senior Member x2
  • Wood-Mizer Service and sales PA, VA, MD, WV others
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2019, 08:13:17 AM »
WOW!
Glad you are ok!!
M
A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty. -Winston Churchill

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2019, 11:20:31 AM »
MP,

Thanks. My son's best friend came up with his big Kubota tractor and FEL and we got my one flea market choker around the mast and got it picked up and walked it back into place and bolted back together. The up and down functions seem to work fine, the breakers did not trip which surprised me after that kind of jolt. The hydraulics don't work but I think that is just a matter of adjusting the contact on the power strip so that should not be a major issue.

This afternoon I will be putting the chain and power fed units on and checking all the adjustments. I have not tried to crank it and want to let the motor sit upright a while first. I don't see any obvious, major damage yet.

It rolls liked on greased ice so it was apparently just the bottom cam follower causing the binding issues that started this whole goatrope. The one I took off is clear binding when you try to turn it. Does WM want it back to check or anything? It failed at 567 hours.

When you talk to the WM engineers you might suggest they include a lifting eye on the mast or wherever appropriate to lift and/or hold the head unit in place if needed. That would have real handy this morning.

If I run into major obstacles I may be heading your way. Take care.
Howard Green

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2019, 05:08:36 PM »
    Latest update is Mildred is breathing on her own. Not sure if she will need physical therapy yet. After several starts and stops I finally got everything back together and she runs. The power feed was the most awkward piece to reassemble hook to the chain (It helps if you run the chain over the top before connecting it to the unit but if you don't you get more practice in how to take everything apart and reassemble it.) Once assembled it is heavy and hard to hold in place while you put the bolts back through the frame and unit. A handy plastic 5 gallon bucket helped immensely. 

The power feed unit on the bottom was out of place so I had to loosen the bolts to depress the springs to get the piece into place on the bottom of the rail. I may have to adjust these but right now the hydraulics work.

Once I had it all connected I put the key in and turned the switch and she took off on her own - the forward feed knob was down but at least she moves and she moves freely now so I am sure it was the one cam follower on the bottom.

As mentioned the plastic cover over the air fiter is cracked and I will replace it.

This was the culprit. Sorry for the sun but look above the nut and you see the black bearing. I misspoke when I talked about a bracket above, it is the rail. You have to stick a 5/16" hex key in to end of the shaft to turn that nut and no way to access it as it sits.

You can see the nut here and the bracket you have to rotate to make room for the top. Unfortunately this is the bracket that holds the entire head to the bottom rail. Once removed only gravity is holding it in place.

Aluminum guard rail at the front of the head popped loose from the white pastic fitting. Easy fix - loosen the bolt, slide it back in and replace the bolt and it is fixed.

The safety pin for the debarker was in place but now moved to upper left. See where fall bent the brackets where the holes allign. Again an easy fix with a heavy set of pliers.

When done I checked the oil then nervously tried to crank the mill. She fired right up! I did not run it long and only the fuel left in the system but all looks good so far. I will check alignment and maybe saw a log tomorrow if I don't find anything else.

I did not take a picture of the mill with the dead on the ground. I also don't take pictures at funerals. Some things you just don't want to remember.
Howard Green

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2019, 05:27:08 PM »
So the next step after everything is good to go is to research and find out the recommended/correct way to replace the top cam followers.  ;D

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2019, 05:31:41 PM »
Howard, I am glad that you have it back together and that you did not get hurt any worse than you did.  That is frustrating when one tries to take impeccable care of something and ends up damaging it while doing maintenance and/or repairs.  You will have it cutting accurately again soon.  

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2019, 06:25:50 PM »
So the next step after everything is good to go is to research and find out the recommended/correct way to replace the top cam followers.  ;D
Lynn,

I may be overconfident but it looks like the top rollers are very easy to replace. Just lower the head on to a support enough to take the weight/tension off them, take a 5/16" hex wrench in a socket and loosen then replace and tighten. The nut is locked inside a metal tube and can't turn so turning the shaft with the hex key loosens the fitting. With two of them there is no way for the head to come loose unless you removed both at the same time and no need to do that. I will not replace them at this time. I don't think they get near the wear because there are two and the head rolls on the 2" wheels anyway. Same fitting upper and lower and the one beside the sprocket keeping the chain from slipping out so good to have spares for future needs.
Howard Green

Offline richhiway

• Rich
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2019, 07:19:56 PM »
Glad it all worked out. If I lived nearby I would have came and gave you a hand. 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2019, 08:16:51 PM »
 smiley_thumbsup  OK, just thinking about the future.  Good thing is that we all can share and learn from each other's woes.  :P

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2019, 09:07:17 PM »
   Yeah, if you have an LT35 or any similar single mast system and loosen the bottom bracket to replace any parts or make adjustments or such be dang sure the head is supported 6 ways to Sunday first.

I am impressed the head unit held up as well as it did under these circumstances but I would not want to bet it would do so again. Nor would I want to be at risk or have anyone else involved in such a dangerous situation. Those head units are very heavy and they hurt when they bounce off of you.

I was afraid my lumber sawing days were over and I was going to have to look for a new career like selling lady's shoes or such. :(
Howard Green

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Wife is sick of talking about my mill.

Started by woodjunky on Sawmills and Milling

40 Replies
Last post March 31, 2015, 11:07:57 AM
by Warped
xx
When your sick?

Started by Maineloggerkid on Forestry and Logging

23 Replies
Last post August 07, 2008, 05:09:42 AM
by Maineloggerkid