The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Log truck capacity and Log Pricing  (Read 1795 times)

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
Re: Log truck capacity and Log Pricing
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2019, 11:34:22 PM »
I'm still waiting for him to fit me into his schedule...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2019, 06:58:47 PM »
I updated in the wrong thread.  For those waiting for news...

My log truck came up Friday afternoon.  He mentioned that some of the logs that I numbered were only 26' so he swapped them out for some 33'ers.  The only problem is I wanted those fat shorter ones for my cross beams.  As he pulled in, I saw a number of pretty skinny logs and was pretty upset.  Then I noticed most were ones that I numbered.  I guess I shouldn't plan on being a timber selector for a living!!! ;)  What I thought was the small end turned out to be the big end. :(

He felt bad (but not bad enough to credit me anything).  He did mention that the wood was lighter from sitting so he said there was a good 4,500 bd-ft on this load.  He maxed out his on-board scales.  When he was done, he said he had a job about 5 miles up the road from me.  He said there would be about four 20' logs that would work for me and he could drop them off for free.  He also said he would like to drop useful logs at my place in the future (if working in the area) to save his customers disposal fees 8)

When he was done, he was swinging his grapple to grab a loop of cable at the base of the rear bunk.  The boom telescoped in and then had a double hinge that stayed attached but allowed the trailer to fold up onto the tractor.  I thought that was pretty neat.

Later, I tossed one on the mill and started working on it before dark.

The next day, I had two helpers and we processed the rest of this log and 3 others with a total of 772 (correction) 894 bd-ft of usable lumber.  I was having issues with the band attempting to come off the front at the end of the cuts and a bit of diving.  Sunday morning I adjusted the guide rollers and still would dive on occasion.  The band jumped and destroyed itself near the end of second cut in the log.  That is when I noticed the bearing on the drive side had failed again - I'm sure it was the root of all the problems. :-\  Off to Pick-n-pull for a new hub.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2019, 08:12:40 PM »
I updated in the wrong thread.  For those waiting for news...

My log truck came up Friday afternoon.  He mentioned that some of the logs that I numbered were only 26' so he swapped them out for some 33'ers.  The only problem is I wanted those fat shorter ones for my cross beams.  As he pulled in, I saw a number of pretty skinny logs and was pretty upset.  Then I noticed most were ones that I numbered.  I guess I shouldn't plan on being a timber selector for a living!!! ;)  What I thought was the small end turned out to be the big end. :(

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

He felt bad (but not bad enough to credit me anything).  He did mention that the wood was lighter from sitting so he said there was a good 4,500 bd-ft on this load.  He maxed out his on-board scales.  When he was done, he said he had a job about 5 miles up the road from me.  He said there would be about four 20' logs that would work for me and he could drop them off for free.  He also said he would like to drop useful logs at my place in the future (if working in the area) to save his customers disposal fees 8)

When he was done, he was swinging his grapple to grab a loop of cable at the base of the rear bunk.  The boom telescoped in and then had a double hinge that stayed attached but allowed the trailer to fold up onto the tractor.  I thought that was pretty neat.

Later, I tossed one on the mill and started working on it before dark.

The next day, I had two helpers and we processed the rest of this log and 3 others with a total of 772 bd-ft of usable lumber.  I was having issues with the band attempting to come off the front at the end of the cuts and a bit of diving.  Sunday morning I adjusted the guide rollers and still would dive on occasion.  The band jumped and destroyed itself near the end of second cut in the log.  That is when I noticed the bearing on the drive side had failed again - I'm sure it was the root of all the problems. :-\  Off to Pick-n-pull for a new hub.

The cable loop is what we call a load strap, the extensions in the trailer that slide in and out are a two stage reach, the part that folded into the truck frame is a stinger. Depending on how a truck is setup with axles frame length or in this case a self loader the stinger replaces the “frame” length helping the trailer track better.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2019, 08:24:38 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'm pretty familiar with how log truck are able to track on the logging roads with their stinger.  I had a lot of toy trucks as a kid ;) :D  I see the "normal" log trucks with the trailer loaded up with the separate "tongue" resting above the cab.  I didn't look close at his trailer expecting him to lift it up like a normal trailer and wondered where it was going to fit the tongue with the grapple being in the way.  This folding up took just seconds to do.  Pretty slick.
John Sawicky

Offline Southside

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2019, 10:58:23 PM »
Well from the sounds of the way things went you are "In the chips" and that's a good place to be.   8)
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline RPF2509

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2019, 12:00:05 PM »
You were lucky to have a self loader in your area.  They are uncommon in N Ca.  Not sure why, as they are perfect for smaller jobs and cleanup. I guess few loggers want the hassle of dealing with the frequent moves,  limited wood and people issues.  We are having a hard time finding enough regular log trucks to ship our logs.  The fire salvage is keeping everyone busy.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
BF Capacity of a log truck & BF for an addition

Started by Gilman on General Board

11 Replies
Last post December 17, 2005, 07:54:20 AM
by SwampDonkey
xx
Lt40 log capacity

Started by Crossroads on Sawmills and Milling

62 Replies
Last post December 23, 2017, 03:11:25 PM
by Crossroads