The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Are you uncomfortable using any portion of your land?  (Read 2808 times)

Offline dgdrls

• Senior Member x2
  • Learning the Art of Milling Logs, Lucas 8/27
    • Share Post
Re: Are you uncomfortable using any portion of your land?
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2019, 06:31:25 PM »

I was in High school with John Fishman the drummer.

And no, I use my land as I see fit,  
I am respectful on Sundays. No mowing or loud noise equipment before noon.

D

Online scgargoyle

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2019, 05:51:10 AM »
After 30 years in the goldfish bowl (1/6th of an acre in FL), I'm used to neighbors being able to see what I'm up to. Now, were on 7-1/2 acres of woods, and no one can see anything unless they are using a drone. I try to be considerate, stashing my 'yard art' so it isn't in anyone's line-of-sight. This is mostly to keep things from growing legs, though. I like living in the woods; we don't have any window treatments except the bedroom and bathroom. In FL, the wife kept the shades drawn 24/7.

As far as using the land, I did have a little awkwardness. I bought 1/2 acre from my neighbor (to protect a distant mountain view), and had it cleared off. It needed it, as it was old pine stumps with thousands of sweet gum saplings. He was none to happy, as his wife had saved a few oaks out there. That's fine, except that there was no way to keep the rest of it tidy. I'm trying to turn it into pasture (the soil is very tired), and then I will plant a few select trees. Can't very well plow and disc it with trees all over the place, so it will be a few years until I can plant. I've tried explaining it to him, and I guess we're OK now. He still thinks I should just dig up oak saplings out in the woods and plant those, but I want diversity and specimen trees. I already have thousands of oaks.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2019, 07:38:57 AM »
I actually get along quite well with all of my neighbors, one (the new neighbor to the NW) is my sister and BIL, one to the NE is a widow lady 60ish and keeps to herself, the neighbors to the SE and the SW are the two Amish families (brothers) and they keep mostly to themselves.

I mow my yard about every 5 days, and once in a while that day comes on Sunday so I don't mow before noon-1:00.  If it's one of the Amish families days to hold church at their house, I wait and mow on Monday.  In Winter, it's different, if there is snow to be moved, it just gets moved!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2019, 08:09:30 AM »
In my neighborhood 
I could be the guy bugging everyone with the sawmill traffic and noise
I try to help out so as to stay in good graces :)
All it takes is one to complain
thomas 8013 mill, Riehl Steel edger,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2019, 09:16:10 AM »
We have 20 acres, and have about 1 1/2 acres that has an encroachment on it. The neighbors hay field comes into our property. It's probably been like that for 80 years. We've talked about it, I told him he could keep haying it. I still feel awkward crossing the fence and walking the edge of the field, even though we legally own it.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2019, 12:40:07 PM »
There's no love lost between us and our closest neighbor >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(.  I burn the nastiest stuff I can in the OWB when the wind is blowing toward their place.  I've considered buying a 6-71 for no other reason than to just run it wide open for their enjoyment.  We seriously considered hogs just for them as well.  The prevailing winds would work very well.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2019, 02:34:15 PM »
   If you can't sight in your deer rifle off the back porch and pee off the front porch you are too close to your nearest neighbor anyway IMHO.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2019, 03:01:31 PM »
If you can do both of those at the same time you either have a very narrow house or......
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline Resonator

• Board Footage and Cord Woodage
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2019, 04:47:02 PM »
If you can't sight in your deer rifle off the back porch and pee off the front porch you are too close to your nearest neighbor anyway IMHO.
You might be a redneck if...

The neighbors started a petition about your Christmas lights.
Your house is mobile, but the cars parked out front are not.
If your porch were to collapse, 5 dogs would be killed.
:D :D :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2019, 04:48:45 PM »
I've shot quite a few deer from my back porch, and one from my front porch, but now I've got neighbors within the 500 feet legal limits, so I can't do it anymore without some of them possibly calling the law!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2019, 05:18:35 PM »
Chuck,

Try inviting them over for a wild game cookout. Might change their attitude. :D

Either that or get a crossbow.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Woodpecker52

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2019, 05:50:53 PM »
barbender, if you have to cross a fence then you have lost that 1 1/2 acres.  I would have yesterday put up a new one where your boundry line is and torn down the old one!
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2019, 06:46:47 PM »
   This thread reminds me of my old buddy Jack who bought a place on Lake Blackshear near Cordele GA. He got tired of people coming by fishing under his dock and catching his crappie and bass and such so Jack put a big old roll of old rusty field fence under his dock at the end of the dock. He showed me where it was and warned me about it. I asked him if he put it there as a fish attractor. He said "No, its my lure catcher. These people come by in their big expensive bass boats with their fancy equipment and pitch all these expensive bass lures under there and get them hung then in the Spring when they lower the level of the lake to work on the dam (There was a power dam about 1/4 mile away) I go out and collect all the free lures."

Jack was my old buddy I hooked in the jaw with a beetle spin and told him to be careful taking it out because it was my favorite bait.
Howard Green

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2019, 10:21:26 PM »
Woodpecker, the fence has been there since well before my time but at least in MN, I don't think it matters. Our properties run along each other, and then theirs continues West where ours ends, bordering state land. The hayfield ends at the back of our property. The neighbors had their land logged, and the MN DNR came out and assessed them for timber trespass for the whole piece, probably 60-80'x 660'. So at least in the eyes of the state, they don't own where they are over the line and the old fence doesn't mean squat.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Southside

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2019, 10:29:57 PM »
We have 20 acres, and have about 1 1/2 acres that has an encroachment on it. The neighbors hay field comes into our property. It's probably been like that for 80 years. We've talked about it, I told him he could keep haying it. I still feel awkward crossing the fence and walking the edge of the field, even though we legally own it.
I had a situation like that at our old place.  Basically the neighbors back yard was mine.  It was off in a corner of almost 300 acres and she was a nice neighbor.  I told her to enjoy her yard, never made an issue out of it.  That sure helped on the occasion when a cow or draft horse would get loose and wander around her home.  She would call to let me know and that was the end of it.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2019, 06:33:27 AM »
I do get along with all the neighbors. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2019, 07:39:43 AM »
Even the 4-legged ones. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2019, 08:52:32 AM »
barbender, if you have to cross a fence then you have lost that 1 1/2 acres

This is technically possible, but not likely.  Adverse possession laws vary from state to state, but usually it's very high bar to clear.

Sometimes it just works out to let a piece get used by a neighbor.  If the property next door changes hands, it'll be time for a conversation or maybe a written agreement.  

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2019, 08:56:16 AM »
Fences don't mean much in the east. They're usually put up where it was convenient, and may or may not reflect any property line.

Offline Woodpecker52

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2019, 09:42:09 AM »
So my point is, if they (fence) do not mean much, then tear down the old and put up the new and it should not matter to the neighbor.  It sure is less of a hassle when the land changes hands and it will save in the long run on the cost of a resurvey and heir headaches.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cutting for a portion of the wood

Started by KjBarnwood on Sawmills and Milling

18 Replies
Last post April 27, 2008, 08:49:22 PM
by Warren
xx
Does anyone here operate a large portion of the mill as a shingle mill?

Started by just_sawing on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post December 10, 2014, 06:10:48 PM
by just_sawing
xx
new land!

Started by lude791 on General Board

12 Replies
Last post September 06, 2011, 06:59:23 PM
by SPIKER
xx
Land use