iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Are you uncomfortable using any portion of your land?

Started by bigtrees, May 10, 2019, 07:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigtrees

Just curious here...

My neighbors built a huge house pretty close to the property line, situated that they overlook a portion of my land. I find it slightly uncomfortable walking around or otherwise using this portion of my land, as I feel I'm always under the watchful eye of the neighbors.

Curious if others feel this way, and if so, how do you handle this situation?

(For me, a portion of the reason for the tree planting project is for privacy...I hope the trees will someday provide a bit of privacy between them and me.)

WLC

Nope, It's mine, I do what I want.  Let 'em look.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

btulloh

Same here. I'm usually too busy to wonder what they're up to. I figure they are focused on their own activities and aren't paying much attention to things over here.

Best to have some kind of relationship with the neighbors although some don't want that. That's ok too.
HM126

GAB

I think you now have the perfect location to commence a spare parts repository.
It'll give them something to look at.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Chuck White

I used to have neighbors, one in each direction on the other side of the road, both within sight, now over the last few years I have I have 2 new neighbors on this side of the road, one on each side of me and back a little!

If you can visualize the #5 dice, I'm now the center dot!

I only own 1½ acres.

I planted a bunch of Spruce trees just off the North edge of my yard to close off one of them.

Mostly though, I don't pay to much attention to them, the 2 neighbors to the South are part of the new Amish clan that is settling in this area, and we do get along well!  ;)

I just don't really care for living in a "fish-bowl"!   
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Southside

I tend to take things right up to the line, so if I were uncomfortable with the idea they may be watching me I would be out there grilling burgers butt naked dancing to Phish, which would probably get them to never look in that direction again, but I do have an abrasive way of handling things sometimes.  Of course with my luck that would be just their "thing" and I would never be able to get rid of them after that.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

I figure you're about 50 miles from me Southside. That's starting to sound too close.
HM126

Southside

JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

bigtrees

I just want to say - I'm liking these answers.

My dad, bless his heart, gives people space, so he keeps certain portions of his property unused so others can have privacy. While considerate, that is different than my opinion. I certainty appreciate the opinions here.

Don P

My mind was going in another direction completely when I saw the thread title. Yeah, the mossy 60' cliff on a rainy day :D.

lxskllr

I'm in a subdivision on 1ac, and waaay to close to other people. During summer I have my green cloak that blocks most of the yard off, but it opens up in winter, and I feel exposed. I don't want to see other people, and I don't want them looking at me. I'd be better off in the center of 100ac.

Ianab

If you are in town here you are lucky to have 1/4 acre these days. That was the standard house plot back in the day, but in the cities that will have 2 or 3 houses on that now. 

I grew up on a farm that was 550 acres, with basically National park on 2 side. previous property was 320 acres of mostly hills.

While I miss the space, where I am now is OK. We know the neighbours, and the kids have a hole in the hedge to go and visit the neighbours. They are the sort that give Ms 12 their house key and ask her to feed their cat when they are away. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

snowstorm

Quote from: Southside on May 10, 2019, 08:38:28 PM
I tend to take things right up to the line, so if I were uncomfortable with the idea they may be watching me I would be out there grilling burgers butt naked dancing to Phish, which would probably get them to never look in that direction again, but I do have an abrasive way of handling things sometimes.  Of course with my luck that would be just their "thing" and I would never be able to get rid of them after that.  :D
phish fan? one of the band opened an old store. after well over a year of rebuilding and building on. they spent a boat load of money. at the grand opening they have the road closed for the big party. must have been over 200 there. now when i drive by the most i have seen is 2 cars in the parking lot

Southside

No, not at all, but I had to work at both of their concerts 20+ years ago at Loring and to this day I can still hear that music. So I figured it would be a great repellant.  ;D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

lxskllr

Never seen Phish, but I went on a spree downloading bootlegs from archive.org last year. I dig 'em. Like the Dead, but a bit more energy.

jimparamedic

Pretty lucky where I live people are close but good people. But if I had a choice I would prefer not seeing the smoke from my neighbors chimney

lxskllr

My left hand neighbors are alright. My backyard neighbors are... something. They /seem/ nice enough, have lots of money, but the woman is a psychopath. She's just plain weird. My right hand neighbors I named the McLouds for intuitive reasons. They're nice enough, but they're always making noise, and they subtly encroach on my property. Cut my bushes down cause "The realtor said we owned that". Tear out a concrete floor, literally all night long(If I were almost anyone else, I wouldn't have slept that night. Me? I could sleep on the flight deck of a carrier). Put little piles of dirt on my side of the property line. Picnic table partly on my property. ( I sometimes amuse myself by thinking of bringing my gear home, precisely laying out the property line across the table, then pull out my chainsaw to take my portion  :^D  ). and they're from the city... None of it is a huge deal(Though the bushes came close...), but all together, and because it's /them/, it's irritating.

Those are the only neighbors I deal with. I try to keep to myself and pretend the world doesn't exist. Most of the neighbors oblige, but my space to roam is very small.

Woodpecker52

That's what barbed wire is for if its an open area and painting boundry lines if its in trees.  I would post keep out signs with some official warning signs of the dangers of lyme disease and rattlesnake risk, that always limits visitors that do not know where the lines are.  As far as lookers just start piling up old junk on the line etc. a few junk autos and tires and they soon will put up a screen to limit the eyesore!!  I myself use rebel flags to ward off the yankees and politically correct!
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

lxskllr

Quote from: Woodpecker52 on May 11, 2019, 09:39:05 AM
  As far as lookers just start piling up old junk on the line etc. a few junk autos and tires and they soon will put up a screen to limit the eyesore!! 
You might have to reevaluate your strategy if I move in. There's nothing more intriguing than a pile of junk  :^D

Sixacresand

No. I just pay attention to which tree I water, make sure no one is in sight. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

dgdrls

Phish - Fee - YouTube

I was in High school with John Fishman the drummer.

And no, I use my land as I see fit,  
I am respectful on Sundays. No mowing or loud noise equipment before noon.

D

scgargoyle

After 30 years in the goldfish bowl (1/6th of an acre in FL), I'm used to neighbors being able to see what I'm up to. Now, were on 7-1/2 acres of woods, and no one can see anything unless they are using a drone. I try to be considerate, stashing my 'yard art' so it isn't in anyone's line-of-sight. This is mostly to keep things from growing legs, though. I like living in the woods; we don't have any window treatments except the bedroom and bathroom. In FL, the wife kept the shades drawn 24/7.

As far as using the land, I did have a little awkwardness. I bought 1/2 acre from my neighbor (to protect a distant mountain view), and had it cleared off. It needed it, as it was old pine stumps with thousands of sweet gum saplings. He was none to happy, as his wife had saved a few oaks out there. That's fine, except that there was no way to keep the rest of it tidy. I'm trying to turn it into pasture (the soil is very tired), and then I will plant a few select trees. Can't very well plow and disc it with trees all over the place, so it will be a few years until I can plant. I've tried explaining it to him, and I guess we're OK now. He still thinks I should just dig up oak saplings out in the woods and plant those, but I want diversity and specimen trees. I already have thousands of oaks.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Chuck White

I actually get along quite well with all of my neighbors, one (the new neighbor to the NW) is my sister and BIL, one to the NE is a widow lady 60ish and keeps to herself, the neighbors to the SE and the SW are the two Amish families (brothers) and they keep mostly to themselves.

I mow my yard about every 5 days, and once in a while that day comes on Sunday so I don't mow before noon-1:00.  If it's one of the Amish families days to hold church at their house, I wait and mow on Monday.  In Winter, it's different, if there is snow to be moved, it just gets moved!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bruno of NH

In my neighborhood 
I could be the guy bugging everyone with the sawmill traffic and noise
I try to help out so as to stay in good graces :)
All it takes is one to complain
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

barbender

We have 20 acres, and have about 1 1/2 acres that has an encroachment on it. The neighbors hay field comes into our property. It's probably been like that for 80 years. We've talked about it, I told him he could keep haying it. I still feel awkward crossing the fence and walking the edge of the field, even though we legally own it.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!