The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Tic repellant question  (Read 1722 times)

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Tic repellant question
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2019, 08:10:55 PM »
I've used DEET on my skin. The reading I've done indicates that higher concentrations tend to last longer, but concentrations over about 50% really do not increase it's effectiveness by much. I've had good results with 25-30% concentration.

I've also used Picardin on my skin with good results - with the added benefit that it does not damage synthetic fibers in clothing, the way that DEET can in higher concentrations

I've treated my own clothing with permethrin spray (the synthetic version of pyrethrum, which is derived from some type of flower - I can't remember which one), also with good results. The effectiveness lasts over 3 or 4 washings.

I've also had very good results with clothing which has been pre-treated by the manufacturer with permethrin. This is sold under the "Insect Shield" or "ElimiTick" treatment names (and there are probably other names as well). The big advantage of this is that the effectiveness is supposed to last through something like 70 washes. I started out with a couple of t-shirts that were on sale for something like $18. That was several years ago. My oldest ones have been through 2 or 3 dozen washes and still are working well. 

I was impressed enough with the T-shirts that I bought some Insect Shield and ElimiTick treated socks. They have also worked well - a couple of pairs the material wore out way too quickly, but the tick protection kept working. (Not sure if the material giving out was poor quality or the fact that the socks were a bit on the small side - I did not realize that the size listing was sock size, not shoe size.)  I've heard good things about the Farm to Feet No Fly Zone Socks: They are treated with Permethrin, and supposedly good through 70 washes. Quality of construction is reputed to be very good. I'm going to give these a try to see how they hold up. They are mostly Merino wool, a fabric I've found comfortable in a wide range of temperatures.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Jim_Rogers

• Senior Member x2
  • Keep your chisels sharp.
    • Share Post
    • jrsawmill.com
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2019, 04:10:25 PM »
Today, while sitting at my desk, this bugger (tic) walked across the back of my hand.
He isn't walking any more:

Sliced in half by my pocket leather-man tool.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Offline luap

• Full Member x2
  • Not as good as I once was
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2019, 05:43:02 PM »
I never liked the idea of slicing a tic to kill them. I can just visualize the bacteria contamination on my pocket knife  My preferred method is to wrap them in a short piece of scotch tape. Doesn't kill them but they aren't going anywhere and no mess.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2019, 06:55:28 PM »
Cutting is better than nipping their heads off with your front teeth.  ;D  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2019, 08:07:56 PM »
I cut an engorged tick off my back last year. I couldn't reach it, or even really see it, so I reached around with my knife, and scraped/cut it off. Pretty disgusting walking around with parasites attached  :^S

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2019, 10:10:22 PM »
Michelle had another run in with a tick last week and started to feel the symptoms again. She apparently can't tolerate doxy anymore, tried twice and blowing cookies in minutes. She went in today and they put her on amoxy till they know more from the blood work. I hate them little buggers  >:(
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Offline SawyerTed

• Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2019, 04:14:34 PM »
Some folks get a headache and nausea from using DEET.  I'm one but I didn't used to.  Apparently DEET over time can cause a reaction in some people.  I have a boat captain friend at the coast who has the same problem. He's the one that told about it.  I quit using DEET and quit having the reaction. 

Picaridin lotion is what I use now.  It comes in a quart with dispenser pump.  It repels ticks and all sorts of biting insects.  I've tried the spray but it doesn't stay effective as long as the lotion.

I spent a month at Portsmouth Village on the Outer Banks last summer.  Picaridin on my skin and Permetherin on my clothes kept the insects from being an issue.  
Woodmizer LT35HD25, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2019, 09:08:40 PM »
Never heard of Picaridin lotion. Just looked it.walmart has Sawyer Picaridin lotion. ;D Gotta be good with a name like that. I will have to check there to see if they have it. Dick's Sporting Goods has it too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2019, 10:03:53 PM »
JohnMc, Chrysanthemums, if I recollect, produce pyrethrum.
Caveman

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2019, 04:43:00 AM »
I found one on me last night. :(
Usually I only find less than 10 on me,and most times that is early in the season,as in now. I hope that stays true this year too. I am outside every day and live in the woods,but so far we do not get many ticks on us. Lucky!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2019, 07:39:13 AM »
Yes. I asked my wife about just putting mums in your pocket. She didn't think there would be enough to do anything and mentioned that she understood pyrethrum is a contact poison rather than a repellant.
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2019, 08:29:54 AM »
Yes. I asked my wife about just putting mums in your pocket. She didn't think there would be enough to do anything and mentioned that she understood pyrethrum is a contact poison rather than a repellant.
Yes. If I recall correctly, it's basically a neurotoxin that only effects insects. You treat your clothing, rather than put it on your skin, since it starts breaking down in contact with your skin and becomes ineffective.
I now have t-shirts (long and short sleeve), 2 pairs of pants, and several pairs of socks (of varying brands) all of which have the factory treatment. They have been working well for me so far. I went out the other day bushwhacking while marking for a new trail. I was wearing treated socks and pants, but an untreated shirt. When I got back home, I found 2 ticks crawling and a third attached all on my upper body, but none from my belt-line down.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline SawyerTed

• Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2019, 06:01:53 PM »
@thecfarm try Amazon for the Picaridin lotion.  The lotion is better than the spray IMHO.  A little bit goes a long way.  My wife uses it as well.  Yes it is a Sawyer product
Woodmizer LT35HD25, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
Snake repellant yard plants?

Started by sandhills on The Outdoor Board

36 Replies
Last post March 24, 2017, 01:31:37 PM
by WV Sawmiller
xx
Band selection question (boring question but includes bonus pics!)

Started by Piston on Sawmills and Milling

18 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 05:39:58 PM
by barbender
angry
Question for you surveyors (sorry but it's a touchy question)

Started by SwampDonkey on General Board

32 Replies
Last post September 25, 2008, 10:55:40 PM
by cheyenne
xx
Skidder question and a question about Clark skidder

Started by ohiowoodchuck on Forestry and Logging

14 Replies
Last post March 12, 2016, 09:34:50 AM
by oldseabee