iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bike trip 2019

Started by Raider Bill, May 14, 2019, 03:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Looks like it's going to be Badlands/Black Hills/Yellowstone/Grand Tetons/Bear Tooth pass and where ever else we have time for.

I will get the bike to Rapid City and pick up Sue Ann at the airport the Saturday of Labor Day weekend. She'll be riding with me for 14 days then drop her back off at the airport.

We'll be staging out of Deadwood/Hill City then Cody, Red Lodge, [maybe West Yellowstone] and of course Jackson Hole. Grab a place in those towns and ride the area a few days then move on.

We were going to do this trip last year but she got sick and had to use some PTO so we rode the Blue Ridge Parkway and surrounding areas instead.

Getting a GoPro Hero 7 for my birthday so I hope to record the trip.

Any suggestions?

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Peter Drouin

Sounds like a good time. I'm not going but the guy next door is.
I'm just going to close the mill down and take NH bike week off.  ;) 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Don P

That sounds like fun. Wow, 20+ years since I've seen the Honda meltdown :D
Devils Tower, Thermopolis, trying to remember other fun stops. Pasties at the little store across the road from the mine in Lead.

ellmoe

My wife and I were fortunate to be in the Badlands at twilight on a full moon. Many photographers were out there as it was quite a show. If timing works out for you , I sure do recommend seeing that, Good riding!
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Raider Bill

Aside from all the great riding and scenery, I'm looking forward to the Cody firearms museum https://centerofthewest.org/explore/firearms/
Supposed to be the biggest and best in the land with over 7000 on display.

There's also a firearms experience where you can shoot everything from a Colt .45 to a Gatling gun. Sue Ann's looking forward to that.
Cody Firearms Experience ? From Flintlock to Full Auto

They have a rodeo every day and since I've never been to one that's on my list.

I've been to Sturgis a few times during the rally and am looking forward to seeing the area without half a million other bikes getting in my way.

Ellmoe, That would sure be a beautiful sight! Hopefully everything lines up for us that way.

Don, I haven't seen a Honda meltdown for about the same time. There used to be one locally but they quit doing it as the last time they had a pile of them and set the fire with a jet drag car which in turn started a pretty big brush fire. :D

Magicman

Quote from: Raider Bill on May 15, 2019, 08:07:43 AMI'm looking forward to the Cody firearms museum
We were there several years ago.  I was a donor when the museum was built and have a belt buckle that allows me free admission.

This 1990 engraving was adapted from a gold pocket watch which was presented to Buffalo Bill Cody by the Prince of Wales in 1880.  We saw  the actual watch when we visited the museum.

One day is not enough time and you still will not see it all.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on May 15, 2019, 08:50:34 AM
Quote from: Raider Bill on May 15, 2019, 08:07:43 AMI'm looking forward to the Cody firearms museum
We were there several years ago.  I was a donor when the museum was built and have a belt buckle that allows me free admission.

This 1990 engraving was adapted from a gold pocket watch which was presented to Buffalo Bill Cody by the Prince of Wales in 1880.  We saw  the actual watch when we visited the museum.

One day is not enough time and you still will not see it all.   :o
I'm thinking we will be in Cody at least 4 days. Couple days seeing the Cody sights and a couple going into east Yellowstone.
Have you ever been on the Bear Tooth Highway?
Beartooth Highway - YouTube

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm envious!

While in Jackson Hole I recommend having dinner at the Gun Barrel restaurant.
I had an elk steak and buffalo ribs, wow! Was that good.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on May 15, 2019, 10:27:46 AM
I'm envious!

While in Jackson Hole I recommend having dinner at the Gun Barrel restaurant.
I had an elk steak and buffalo ribs, wow! Was that good.

Jon
Thanks Jon, Added to my list!

Magicman

Quote from: Raider Bill on May 15, 2019, 09:17:49 AMHave you ever been on the Bear Tooth Highway?
Yes, across the Bear Tooth and down to Red Lodge is an awesome drive.  I enjoyed watching your video.

Our planned trip for this year will be a bit further North.....to Hyder, AK.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DFILER2

Bear Tooth Pass is a must see as mentioned, also don't miss the Needles Highway in South Dakota, I think it's Highway 87.

Huge link fixed by admin

Raider Bill

Quote from: DFILER2 on May 16, 2019, 01:41:21 PM
Bear Tooth Pass is a must see as mentioned, also don't miss the Needles Highway in South Dakota, I think it's Highway 87.

I've been on Needles HWY before and you are right it's a Bikers must do. We plan on spending a few days in that area before heading west to Yellowstone.

Raider Bill

Quote from: ellmoe on May 15, 2019, 06:16:11 AM
My wife and I were fortunate to be in the Badlands at twilight on a full moon. Many photographers were out there as it was quite a show. If timing works out for you , I sure do recommend seeing that, Good riding!
We looked at the moon phases. Looks like it will be full the last 2 days of our trip so here's hoping it's a clear night!
Speaking of moons. Last Saturdays full moon was beautiful. We took the bike down to the beach and watched it over the gulf water.

RPF2509

Plus one on the Cody Firearms museum.  There is more to see than firearms so plan on spending a day there.

fishpharmer

Bill, I am looking forward to your photos and videos.  Be safe!
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Raider Bill

Weekend_Sawyer

Woot!
It feels strange to be watching from this side of the screen.
Jon

Raider Bill

Someday we'll meet up on the road and ride my friend!!

Now is the hard part. Keeping Sue Ann to one saddle bag worth of clothes. She went to pack over the weekend. When I looked at her stuff laid out on the bed and I mean the whole bed I knew it was on. :D

Listen, a spare pair of jeans, couple shirts, spare skivvies, flip flops, socks, hair and tooth brush.

I'm packed.

Not 4 jeans, 4 dresses, 5 pr shoes, 6 tops, blow dryer, cuddle clothes, 5 gallons of make up, sweaters, 2 jackets, her favorite whoopee and a lighted mirror. And let's not forget the ol, well we will have to get dressed up a couple nights for a nice dinner so we have to pack for that too..

No we don't.

This is a motorcycle trip.

None of that stuff. >:(

One, Saddle, bag.

She's :'( :'( :'(

clww

Gotta get yourself a small trailer, RB.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Raider Bill

I've got a bike trailer I used to use when bike trip camping. We will be staying in motels on this one so as I told SA we won't be needing it.

Another thing is she's a travel agent, very methodical and organized so every nights stop is planned and reserved. Me I'm a seat of the pants road tripper. I stop n go when and where ever the road takes me.

8 days and a wake up!

blackfoot griz

Bill, hit the Beartooth highway if you can. You won't regret it. If you stay in Red Lodge, hit the Carbon County Steakhouse and the Bear Creek Saloon for a beverage and the pig races...

Raider Bill

Beartooth is number 1 on my list of places to ride. Been dreaming about it for years.
I'm trying to get her to change out 1 night in Cody for a night in Red Lodge or West Yellowstone.
:) :) :) :) :)

Weekend_Sawyer

I am a great proponent of seat of the pants bike trips.
Figure out a destination or at least a direction and run till ya need to stop.

The bear tooth is on my list too!

Thank You Sponsors!