The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Hoot Owl Convention  (Read 385 times)

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Hoot Owl Convention
« on: June 25, 2019, 06:09:17 PM »
   Last night a couple hours after dusk I heard a strange gurgling call outside and my wife asked me what it was. I told her it was a hoot (Barred) owl. We have lots of them around here and often at dark or just before sunrise they will start calling back and forth to each other. It seems like there is one up every side holler and sometimes the conversations go on for several minutes. They have a very diverse vocabulary if you have never listened to them and they don't just hoot. I had trimmed the spring run-off and ditch in my back yard yesterday before dark and I removed a lot of cover and exposed a lot of frogs and snakes and such in the process. I know I accidentally killed at least one ring neck snake with my line trimmer and chased another one or two into the water. This morning about 2:30 am we were awakened by the most gosh-awful racket outside our window. It seems several owls had come to visit and they hooted, they gurgled, they chortled, and they made other unimaginable sounds. My wife had no idea what it was but said she heard a squealing so evidently one caught a baby rabbit (I saw one about 40-50 yards from there by my woodshed - the first in about 5 years since I got rid of the multi-flora roses on my property) or a field mouse. Becky went to the window and could see one big owl by the night light perched on a fence post about 20 yards from our window. It flew and she said it was huge and later worried if it might have been after 13 lb Sampson, my catfish treeing Rat Terrier. I think he is likely too big for them and he was safe in his dog house.

I did not get a picture but what I really wish I could have gotten was an audio recording of them. If you have never heard a bunch of owls (I saw on Jeopardy the other night a group of owls is called a Wisdom or Parliament.) you just don't know what you are missing.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Steve Crook

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Hoot Owl Convention
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 06:57:42 PM »
We used to get the owls going from time to time when we lived out on the west coast. It reminded me of the supposed jungle noises in the old Tarzan shows of the 60's. My better 1/2 with a memory informs me that Johny Weismuller was Tarzan in the old shows. Though you couldn't prove it by me.

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 07:07:31 PM »
Good report, WV.  I never heard them that close where you could hear the details of their conversation.  I hear them back in the woods with the usual "Who cooks, who cooks, who cooks for yooouuuuuuuuuuu" but that's about it.  Sometimes I hear a screech owl and wish I hadn't.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 03:43:33 AM »
I have some friends that lived in GA for a time. They said one Sunday in church, the pastor kept mentioning a "who da" in his sermon. They asked some GA friends after the service what a "who da" is. They really got to laughing as they explained it was "hoot owl"!😂
Too many irons in the fire

Offline millwright

• Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 06:18:06 PM »
It seems like the last year or so we have a big bunch of them here  they are really vocal right before dark, and right at daybreak. It really upsets the crows in the area

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 07:15:12 AM »
   The last couple nights they had a big powwow around midnight but fortunately it was further back in the woods and not right in the back yard.

Crows hate owls and hawks and such and I have seen hundreds of them circling one raptor.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline ppine

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 11:43:02 AM »
In Nevada we great Great Horned Owls in the yard all the time. (GHOs).  I like to hear them late at night.  I sleep in the backyard sometimes, and there can be GHOs in the top of the tipi poles.  My dog runs up and down the fence chasing coyotes.  Sometimes the neighborhood donkeys are braying.  I use ear plugs. 
Forester

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
What a hoot!

Started by Tom on General Board

0 Replies
Last post November 03, 2002, 06:57:27 PM
by Tom
xx
Only in the South.....this is a Hoot.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD on General Board

2 Replies
Last post March 04, 2013, 10:20:37 PM
by Warbird