The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Looking for new commercial splitter  (Read 556 times)

Offline dashiell1981

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Looking for new commercial splitter
« on: May 15, 2019, 01:24:09 AM »
I知 looking to replace our old homemade splitter with a high capacity commercial splitter with all the bells and whistles.  Been looking at Timberwolf, Allwood, Eastonmade, etc. I知 in California and mostly split black oak. My budget is $12-13,000. We don稚 have a firewood business, just a large family that burns about 30 cord per year. Also, will use it to split cedar and fir slash from off the mill. Looking forward to hearing your opinions.
Thank you

Offline stavebuyer

• Share Post
Re: Looking for new commercial splitter
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 04:39:06 AM »
I owned an Eastonmade 22-28. Might be more than you need. The next size down has a slightly faster cycle time. Unless your strictly outside stoves and large blocks I'd go with a box wedge and the 4-way for wedges. Andrew Easton responds to his cell phone if you have a question or a problem.

Offline gasman1075

• I'm lucky
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 08:22:15 AM »
Where are you located?
JD 2520/Stihl MS461/Stihl MS261/ MS 461 / Timberwolf TW-P5/ Norwood Skid-Winch

Offline hedgerow

• Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 09:58:47 AM »
Welcome dasheiell1981
I don't own any of the brands you mention. I will throw out my 2 cents. I don't sell wood either but burn around 15 cord a year I have a Garn I run year around for domestic water. I have always ran homebuilt splitters as I could never find the one that fit the bill and cost to. Couple years ago I had a old college buddy that lives 400 miles east of me was having some health issues. He and his wife burns around 20 cord a year in a OWB heating a big old farm house. He was completely out of wood. So after spring planting I hired a buddy that helps me do my farming and wood and we went east to get his 20 cord for the next year ready. I took saws and that type of equipment but left the splitter home as he had a almost new TW-6 splitter loaded. We were there several days and got the wood done but that wood splitter almost finished both of us. Both of us are around six foot tall and 200 pounds. Both of us can't bent over for hours on end. Nice splitter but built too low to the ground. I sure would give Eastonmade a good look I like his box wedge that can be removed and go single or four way. Which ever you buy get it made for your height and always have a log lift. 

Online Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 08:09:48 PM »
Check out Woody's Eguipment 
They make a great splitter 
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools

Offline 47sawdust

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 05:38:35 AM »
Take a look at Timberdevil splitters you are not bent over and for the money your talking you could get one with a built in conveyor
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Offline luap

• Full Member x2
  • Not as good as I once was
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 10:19:51 AM »
Welcome dasheiell1981
I don't own any of the brands you mention. I will throw out my 2 cents. I don't sell wood either but burn around 15 cord a year I have a Garn I run year around for domestic water. I have always ran homebuilt splitters as I could never find the one that fit the bill and cost to. Couple years ago I had a old college buddy that lives 400 miles east of me was having some health issues. He and his wife burns around 20 cord a year in a OWB heating a big old farm house. He was completely out of wood. So after spring planting I hired a buddy that helps me do my farming and wood and we went east to get his 20 cord for the next year ready. I took saws and that type of equipment but left the splitter home as he had a almost new TW-6 splitter loaded. We were there several days and got the wood done but that wood splitter almost finished both of us. Both of us are around six foot tall and 200 pounds. Both of us can't bent over for hours on end. Nice splitter but built too low to the ground. I sure would give Eastonmade a good look I like his box wedge that can be removed and go single or four way. Which ever you buy get it made for your height and always have a log lift.
I think the operating height of  a splitter is the most overlooked design feature.  I built a splitter for a fellow that also was over six feet tall and the height was his first requirement also with cycle speed being second on his list. I added a lift table, drilled out the hydraulic cylinder holes and welded on larger fittings. He wanted detent control valve for both directions, but myself would only want it on return stroke. An adjustable 4 way wedge and a large off bearing table that with a trailer or truck, no wood had to be picked up off the ground. He splits wood for three families and said it was the first time they all had the wood done before fall with very limited bending over. A comparable commercial splitter was at least $12000.

Online John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 10:47:22 AM »
I have an American CIS splitter - I bought a used model , which had the optional hydraulic log lift, honda engine, 4-way and 6-way wedges. It's very well built.

I prefer to work standing up, rather than bent over, and am not a fan of vertical splitters (more bending over or getting up and down). I also like using a horizontal splitter to push the splits right into the back of my trailer when I'm splitting in the woods. The 6-way wedge is a bit much for my splitter, unless I'm working in easy-to split wood, like Ash or straight-grained Oak.

I've been happy with it, but I do have to say I like my friend's Timberwolf TW-2 just a little better (There is no hydraulic lift available for the TW-2, though they do have a manual, lever operated log lift option.) It's hard to describe what I like better about it: the two are very similar in design and capability. I guess it just "fit" me slightly better. I almost bought a new TW-2HD (which was a bit heavier duty than the TW-2 and had a hydraulic lift as an option), but when the American CIS splitter came on the used market, I jumped on it.

NOTE: Timberwolf was sold to a few years ago to Automated Biomass Systems, which moved all production from Rutland, VT (not far from me) to Marathon NY. They appear to have discontinued some models (including the TW-2HD I was looking at). They also just introduced some new ones at the high end of their scale. I have no idea if the "new" Timberwolf is as good as the old one, but they sure look that way. The new Timberwolf Alpha is aimed at the commercial market and looks top-notch, though I have no experience with it. (Bonus feature: you can swap a box wedge in for the normal 4 or 6 way wedges). They also sell conveyors and firewood processors.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline dashiell1981

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 04:41:46 PM »
Thanks for all the great info. I知 most impressed by the Eastonmade 12/22 with box wedge. The box wedge design is well thought out. Now, time to look for a conveyor.
Thanks again.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Rugged Split 37 ton splitter/splitter suggestions?

Started by jbos333 on Firewood and Wood Heating

14 Replies
Last post November 14, 2014, 08:57:15 AM
by ckhenshaw4
xx
Hand powered log splitter, the Smar-Splitter??

Started by Chuckolicious on Firewood and Wood Heating

14 Replies
Last post March 23, 2010, 01:50:09 PM
by Ernie
xx
Commercial on TV

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD on Sawmills and Milling

11 Replies
Last post October 19, 2013, 01:20:31 PM
by beenthere
xx
The Best Commercial Ever