The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Are you uncomfortable using any portion of your land?  (Read 2839 times)

Offline rubberfish

• Share Post
Re: Are you uncomfortable using any portion of your land?
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2019, 07:51:31 AM »
Are you uncomfortable using any portion of your land?

Absolutely not. It's ours, and my family will do with it as we wish.
If the neighbours don't like it and we're not doing anything unlawful, they can screw off.
Once they understand this, they'll find that for the most part we're good people and easy to get along with.
This applies to both my 1/4 acre here in the city and my 11 acres over there in paradise.
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

Offline TW

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2019, 05:48:04 PM »
I try to avoid disturbing the foundations of some 19th century cottages as well as the potato patches those poor sods cleared on a rocky hillside where they had to remove huge amounts of boulders just to grow enough potatoes to survive. I just cannot destroy their backbreaking work though it is all overgrown with trees by now. After all I am only one in a long line of caretakers of this land.

I also try to be considerate and keep the edge on our wood which is just a few metres from a neighbour's house as tidy as I can with a reasonable effort. To make his life as half disabled on minimum retirement a wee bit more enjoyable. He deserves a nice surrounding to enjoy when he sits in his tiny garden.

There are also some footparths used by people from the village which I avoid disturbing. Anyone has a legal right to tresspass anywhere they want in the woods as long as they travel by foot and don't damage growing trees nor crops. That is law in Finland. It is a fact of everyday life that legal trespassers are excellent guards against crooks and vandals and poachers of all sorts so I try to not hinder their passage in any way. They look after our property just as I look after other villager's properties when I trespass across them.

Then there is about half a hectare (an acre) which I am very uncomfortable using...... because getting there is a very uncomfortable undertaking and getting the logs out is even more uncomfortable. Huge boulders are piled upon one another since the end of the ice age so you don't walk there you crawl and climb. Last winter I fell into a two metre deep hole and ended up unable to walk for a week when I salvaged a windfall up there.

Offline rubberfish

• Share Post
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2019, 07:19:55 PM »
That is law in Finland. It is a fact of everyday life that legal trespassers are excellent guards against crooks and vandals and poachers of all sorts so I try to not hinder their passage in any way. They look after our property just as I look after other villager's properties when I trespass across them.

Isn't it nice living in a rural environment? My area in the Gulf Islands is like that.
We all have 10 acres or better. Lots of deer trails to follow which don't always
follow property lines. We all get along well enough. So it's ok to end up out of bounds.  ;D
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cutting for a portion of the wood

Started by KjBarnwood on Sawmills and Milling

18 Replies
Last post April 27, 2008, 08:49:22 PM
by Warren
xx
Does anyone here operate a large portion of the mill as a shingle mill?

Started by just_sawing on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post December 10, 2014, 06:10:48 PM
by just_sawing
xx
How do I buy raw land?

Started by Leigh Family Farm on General Board

27 Replies
Last post November 24, 2012, 09:30:40 AM
by maple flats
xx
new land!