The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Hickory Door  (Read 2096 times)

Offline Bindian

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Hickory Door
« on: May 28, 2019, 12:17:06 AM »
Within two years, I will be building  a log home.  I'll build the front door out of Hickory.  Two weeks ago, I had to cut down a beautiful Hickory tree.  Now, should I cut it into boards now and stack and sticker to store above my barn shop, or just keep the log off of the ground for up to two years?
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide Diesel.

Offline WLC

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Hickory Door
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 12:45:18 AM »
I'd saw it now, stack and sticker.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Offline Weekend_Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Jack of all trades, master of fun
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 07:05:57 AM »
I'd cut it now and cut it a little thick and stack and sticker it with a lot of weight.
You never know what hickory wants to do, I haven't cut a lot of it but what I have noticed is that the bigger the tree the straighter the wood when you mill it.
I recently cut a 12" and it cupped in 2 different directions on the same board!!!
I wound up using it for smoking wood.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe. ... and it looks like my dream will come true!

Offline Bindian

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 10:01:53 PM »
Thanks Guys!  I cut it ASAP.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide Diesel.

Offline Bindian

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 10:06:52 PM »
Will 7 degree blades saw it, or will I need a blade in another degree? 
hugs,  Brandi

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 10:13:02 PM »
PPB love hickory so be sure to spray boards with borate.  Another reason to saw.  A reason not too would be that Hickory stains badly in hot weather.  For this reason there is generally no commercial hickory log sale from May to September.  
Liking Walnut

Offline Bindian

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 01:55:15 AM »
PPB love hickory so be sure to spray boards with borate.  Another reason to saw.  A reason not too would be that Hickory stains badly in hot weather.  For this reason there is generally no commercial hickory log sale from May to September.  
What is PPB?  Never heard of it down here in Texas. 
 I had to cut it down ASAP, as it looked like it was gonna uproot onto my friend's trailer.  He has phobias of leaning trees, as Harvey uprooted one on his RV trailer.  We were out in Harvey's full force trying to get the tree off of his RV, while trying to keep my 4WD Mahindra from sinking up to the axles, then tarping the trailer.......................not fun at all.
hugs,  Brandi

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 02:10:23 AM »
Powder Post Beatles, and they do exist in Texas.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline Weekend_Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Jack of all trades, master of fun
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 07:37:35 AM »
hugs,  Brandi
I cut mine last year using a Woodmizer 7 Degree blade on my Norwood manual mill. I had no problems. It was a pretty big tree and straight I got 5 9' saw logs out of it.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe. ... and it looks like my dream will come true!

Offline Bindian

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 07:44:13 AM »
Powder Post Beatles, and they do exist in Texas.
But do they exist in Southeast Texas with all our humidity?  We have Pine Burrow (Bore?) Beetles here big time.
hugs,  Brandi

Offline Bindian

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 07:46:37 AM »
hugs,  Brandi
I cut mine last year using a Woodmizer 7 Degree blade on my Norwood manual mill. I had no problems. It was a pretty big tree and straight I got 5 9' saw logs out of it.
Jon
Thanks.  I found another thread on Turbo 7s and others cutting dry and green Hickory.
hugs,  Brandi

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 08:00:10 AM »
Powderpost beetles love the South.  Nativewolf's advice to spray with borate is spot on.  Like has been said, it if is hot with no air flow, hickory will blotch with an ugly gray stain.  Also saw it soon as the ambrosia beetles also love hickory and will riddle the log with little black lined holes.  Powderpost beetles only infest the dry lumber whereas ambrosia beetles infest the green log. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Raym

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2019, 04:15:44 AM »
Sorry to pop your balloon but I would not build your front door out of any wood much less hickory. As a builder I do not recommend even installing commercially made wooden doors but if a customer insists, they must sign a wavier. The problem is that the margins required for an entry door are very small and the slightest movement will result in unconditioned air making its way inside an otherwise "tight" house. If you install a wooden door, it WILL move, warp, twist, all the bad things......you cannot avoid this as you have one side conditioned and the other exposed to outside elements.

I would suggest use your hickory for a feature barn door inside and install a commercial fiberglass or steel exterior door.
Just my opinion.
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

Offline Bindian

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2019, 06:56:16 AM »
Sorry to pop your balloon but I would not build your front door out of any wood much less hickory. As a builder I do not recommend even installing commercially made wooden doors but if a customer insists, they must sign a wavier. The problem is that the margins required for an entry door are very small and the slightest movement will result in unconditioned air making its way inside an otherwise "tight" house. If you install a wooden door, it WILL move, warp, twist, all the bad things......you cannot avoid this as you have one side conditioned and the other exposed to outside elements.

I would suggest use your hickory for a feature barn door inside and install a commercial fiberglass or steel exterior door.
Just my opinion.
Thanks for you input.  But there are several ways to build a door that can minimize what you have waivers signed for.   Challenge accepted.
    hugs,  Brandi

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2019, 07:30:53 AM »
 :snowball: 
:D popcorn_smiley
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline Bindian

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2019, 12:35:33 PM »
PPB love hickory so be sure to spray boards with borate.  Another reason to saw.  A reason not too would be that Hickory stains badly in hot weather.  For this reason there is generally no commercial hickory log sale from May to September.  
Can I use a solution of water and Borax, the 20 Mule team variety?  I found how to use it here.... https://www.hunker.com/13425952/how-to-treat-wood-with-borax
hugs,  Brandi

Offline Bindian

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2019, 11:35:24 PM »
I have 2006 square feet of hickory flooring in my shop.  Should I spray it with borax also?
hugs,  Brandi

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2019, 12:06:05 AM »
That would stop any new infestation but won't help if they are already there. Not sure what the water will do to the boards as far as warp/cupping goes depending on how dry it already is. Some of the others will have to chime in on this. 

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2019, 06:34:38 AM »
hugs,  Brandi
Jon
That's a nice tree.
Liking Walnut

Offline tacks Y

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2019, 07:17:57 AM »
I put a fiberglass door on my house when I built it, lasted 10-15 years. Now I have an oak door I made, just as old and still good. I made my door with 3 layers of oak not single 2". Go for the hickory.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Door for 1984 or 85 Timberjack 240A (DOOR FOUND)

Started by Rob-IL on Wanted

0 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 05:56:07 PM
by Rob-IL
xx
3 sided husk on hickory nut - what type of hickory is it?

Started by Lanier_Lurker on Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

7 Replies
Last post August 25, 2007, 09:18:14 AM
by Lanier_Lurker
xx
Red Hickory (Pignut Hickory) value?

Started by jbburd on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post July 18, 2007, 08:37:00 PM
by jbburd
xx
new door

Started by Texas Ranger on General Woodworking