iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Free Firewood logs id - potentially black walnut?

Started by cadyfatcat, May 29, 2019, 11:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadyfatcat

Found a listing for free firewood in my area and I am having a hard time identifying it. I have hopes maybe it is some black walnut and I can use the wood for small projects - but I am really not sure. The owner of the ad does not know what type of wood it is. The bark looks more like black locust to me but the heartwood looks too dark, the locust I have encountered is more of a lighter yellow / brown. Also I am thinking potentially elm? Anyway wondering if anyone can help me ID it 

WDH

Could be elm.  If so, the latewood pores will be arranged in wavy bands.  My first thought was catalpa. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

I love the people who have had a tree in their yard for years and they "think" it is walnut.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

Take a razor knife and make a clean slice on the end grain.  If elm, you will be able to see the wavy bands of pores very easily.  Here are some pics of what it will look like.

American elm
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

I first saw it and wondered if it might be Chinese Chestnut. A neighbor cut a row of them a little while back and they look a lot like that.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

cadyfatcat

@WDH  I believe I do see the wavy late pores of Elm on the bottom half of the cut out section, included pic. I ended going and getting a load of whatever it is. It is also very wet, when I try to split it (rather unsuccessfully) water will literally splash from the axe indentation. Also smells pretty bad, smells like band-aids, similar to Tulip Poplar imo. 

WDH

Yes Sir.  Nice clean slice.  You have elm. 

low_48

WDH

I did it then wondered, "Why did you do this?".  Load of elm logs.  Spiral grain city.  Now to figure out how to saw them to minimize warp.  Two are big enough to quartersaw, but the other 5 are not :)

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Don't have to worry about the cookies cracking on the bottom two logs.  They are already cracked :).

caveman

Some folks have a sweet tooth and like cookies, other like crackers.
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!