The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: The Butcher  (Read 515 times)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
The Butcher
« on: June 05, 2019, 08:58:44 PM »
   Anybody watching the new show "The Butcher" on the History Channel? Comes on tonight at 10:00 pm EST if I remember correctly. We watched it last week and really enjoyed it - even my 7 & 11 y/o granddaughters. The show started with 4 contestants who were experienced butchers. First round they had to break down half a side of beef and got points for each cut of meat they properly prepared. The judges rejected cuts with too little or too much fat or sinew etc. The young lady washed out there I think just because the meat was too big for her to work as fast as the bigger men. Next they had to properly guess the weight at one lb and cut 2 packs by hand and one with an old circular hand crank slicer on 3 packs of bacon. One guy had 46 years of experience and hit the mark every time which amazed me. Then the final 2 had to skin and butcher a 10' python, a nutria and an iguana and butcher who produced the greatest value won. The old timer made some nutria sausage which put him over top.

I've cut up a lot of different kinds of wild game and really enjoyed watching these experts do it properly and quickly. I am anxious to see what the contests are tonight. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
Re: The Butcher
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 08:19:20 AM »
Sounds interesting, will have to look for it.
The First 60 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 09:21:53 AM »
   I enjoyed last night's show. Same thing with the lady contestant - washed out in first round after failing to break down a bison with a tomahawk fast enough. Too big for her work as fast as the men. Second round they had to make 6- 6" sausages by sight then the two finalists had to break down an ostrich. I learned it is better to cut strips for grinding than cubes so I will remember that this fall when I go to make deer sausage or burger. I love educational shows with practical applications. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 06:16:41 PM »
Haven't seen it yet, but if I can catch it, I'll be watching it!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 08:46:13 PM »
   Just mark your calendar for 10:00 pm on Wednesdays on the History Channel to catch it.
Howard Green

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

smiley
What did I get myself into! (TO THE BUTCHER SHOP!)

Started by Mrs._Stump_Jumper on General Board

40 Replies
Last post August 31, 2005, 11:02:59 PM
by Don_Papenburg
xx
Butcher Block

Started by Norwiscutter on General Board

15 Replies
Last post December 28, 2005, 10:33:56 AM
by woodmills1
xx
butcher blocks