iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmills In the Tri-State (New York, Connecticut, New Jersey) and Minnesota

Started by The MN Loon, June 21, 2019, 03:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The MN Loon

Hello everyone!

My name is Chase - I am a hopeful logger and woodworker and I'm looking to build out my workshop with a sawmill. Keeping in mind that I'm likely going to be utilizing my sawmill solely to cut wood for my own personal use on projects (and likely cutting it for friends in the off chance that someone wants me to), does anyone know of or have a sawmill in the tri-state (preferably within an hour or two of New York) that I could come out and see how you run it? I'm happy to help out if you could use some cheap labor ;)

Anyways, hope all is well, I look forward to hearing from you.

Chase
Never fart while riding up an escalator - you're likely to smack someone's day right in the face.

Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.

Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Experience is knowing why.

btulloh

You may get more responses if this was in the sawmill topic. One of the administrators will probably move it over.

It takes a while to get your bearings here on the FF but it'll all work out.
HM126

BargeMonkey

We have a Timber Harvester bandmill, survey stake operation, Bells processor, saw a fair amount of hardwood, softwood for rough cut, have a large single side and 4 sided planer / moulder, kiln, sawdust system, edger. We had 3 mills at one time.

Like Southside said, you get into a decent hydraulic mill you will notice the diff. If your planning on being out this way "Gilboa NY" I would gladly show you whatever you want, we sharpen and set our own blades, knives, theres alot more to it than just "sawing".
Eric Dahlberg, 607-435-3416

Old Greenhorn

Well Chase, I offered on your other thread and it still stands. You have a great offer from Barge and I can tell you he has some operation going at his place. I did not see his mill setup when we visited a few weeks ago, we were both in a logger rescue class and he had logs to get out, but he took the time to help me out with something and gave me a tour of his second cutting operation. He is a top notch guy. Barge is a busy guy with a LOT of irons in the fire. He didn't even mention his sand and gravel operation or the store he has.
 I am about 10 minutes off the Thruway, just west of Kingston and I know you go by on your way to Cairo and I can't be but 30 minutes away from there. I am in West Hurley. You say you are a 'hopeful logger' and I am not sure what that means. If you are just getting into that you should get some training. Either Barge or I can point you in the right direction for good classes. I have a manual mill down in the woods. I saw for myself and family or friends. I cut and skid trees for my own mill and firewood but I don't have any heavy equipment, so I keep my back in pretty good shape for an old guy. There is another fella in Orange county, but I forget his username at the moment.
 I am curious to hear how many logging opportunities you have in Queens? (I was raised in Elmont, couldn't wait to get out. That's a secret, if you tell anyone I shouldn't have to tell you what I will do. I left over 30 years ago.)
 Send me a PM if you have an interest and we will hook up. I just finished a job for my daughter, will be working on tables and teaching a neighbor to cut, split and stack his firewood tomorrow after I make the lumber delivery. always doing something here, but can throw a log up at any time and make something. Manual mills are not the end all, but as some have said, it is a great way to learn how a mill works and cuts.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

The MN Loon

Bargemonkey - I just saw this, so I apologize for the delay. I sent you a personal message and would love to take you up on your offer! Looks like you have a lot of things I will need to learn about!

Old Greenhorn - I also just sent you a message, if you are close to Bargemonkey I'm going to come and visit you too if you'll have me! I will definitely need training, I'm just starting out and have more questions than I have answers, so any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated! As for logging operations in Queens, I'm assuming you are saying that tounge-in-cheek; suffice to say there are not (m)any. I'm not looking to do anything in Queens necessarily. I know how you feel - I grew up in Minnesota (my wife made me move out here because she was born and raised) and I also cannot wait to get out. Your secret is safe with me ;)
Never fart while riding up an escalator - you're likely to smack someone's day right in the face.

Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.

Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Experience is knowing why.

Crusarius

I am quite a bit further away than the other guys but your welcome. I have very little experience but did build the mill myself so I can at least help you on the mechanical end of owning a mill.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: The MN Loon on June 27, 2019, 10:35:53 AM
......As for logging operations in Queens, I'm assuming you are saying that tounge-in-cheek; suffice to say there are not (m)any. I'm not looking to do anything in Queens necessarily. ........
Actually folks who know that area may laugh, but it was where I first learned to run a a saw and take down trees one limb at a time dropping each in a safe place. I also learned how to hand split firewood there when I was 12 and at the same time grow blisters.  ;D It's not easy, but you learn a lot about physics, rigging, and safe operations. Except for weekends I spent on a family farm in VT as a 12-16 year old clearing sapling thickets from hay fields for $0.25/tree, I never dropped a full length tree until I was in my 30's. Everything came down in pieces. It gives you a different appreciation of the job when you have to plan rope stretch, swing, landing zone, etc. I much prefer just felling them now. ;D ;D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

twobears

shoot in the town that I live in there,s dozens of guys that leave home every sunday night and spend the week down by the citys cutting trees..two buddys of mine that are regular loggers even went down to long island for some weekends of tree cutting..they got wicked money to do it too..maybe you guys by the city are missing out.
 I live in ny and have a sawmill but i'am so far north i'am part Canadian..hahaha!!

Chuck White

That's right TB, back when I was still in the Air Force I would try to explain to people, just where I'm located and then I'd finally say "I'm from Lower Canada"!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Sixacresand

You should not have problem finding somebody with a mill.  We saw plenty of sawmills after we left Cooperstown headed for Northern Project at Bruno's place.  Of course we travelled the two lanes when possible .  When you pass log piles and see a sawdust pile, it is a mill.  Otherwise it is firewood processing. And to my amazement The rural New Englanders are serious about their firewood use.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!