The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Neighbors....you don't get to pick em  (Read 4428 times)

Offline Pine Ridge

• Part-time logger, Full time loafer
    • Share Post
Re: Neighbors....you don't get to pick em
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2019, 08:30:15 PM »
Mrcaptainbob it sounds like you have good neighbors, helping each other on projects. It sure isn't like that here. If I start a chainsaw or any machine that could be used to work with around here this neighborhood is a ghost town ! I loaded, hauled, and stacked 14 big pickup loads of wood here awhile back over about a weeks time that I had stacked in the woods across from the house. This place was deserted until I got it all hauled.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Offline Downstream

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2019, 11:12:41 PM »
We have had mostly good neighbors over the years where we have lived but a few bad ones from time to time.  Currently, we have 5 families around us all with 2+ Acres and surrounded by 1000's of acres of forest and a 12,000 acre lake behind so nice privacy if you want or as social as you want.  We all garden, fish, hunt so we are always bartering back n forth.  Socially we are similar, politically we are similar so it is the best overall group we have lived around.  You could ask any of them for anything and the answer would be yes and do you need help with it.  We have been here 13 years as the newest people and a couple grew up on this land before there was a lake here.  We think about getting out of Illinois from time to time even though we both have lived in the state our whole lives but one of the reasons we stay is our neighbors.  We are very blessed to have them all.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Online Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2019, 06:19:20 AM »
After I lost Ann of 35 years together. I thought of selling and downsizing to a smaller house, smaller land, But with the good people on here told me to slow down and think for a while like a year or so.
I did, The best thing I ever did, Thanks, guys. Part of it all was the neighbors I have, there the best. 
Putting all that I have into a trust now, The Drouins will have this land for a long time. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2019, 10:43:21 PM »
It's good to be reminded that others are blessed with great neighbors. I have several of those who outshine the one that drives me a little crazy. I should have known something was up when he spent last Sunday driving all around his 1 acre lot pulling a 4x6 trailer behind his ATV picking up sticks and the little logs he bucked for 3 hours. It looked pretty good but he left one stalk that he had limbed. Maybe it was too big for him, it was 8" at the butt and about 25' long.
Sure enough, he had a party today, didn't invite any of the neighbors (which was good, we would have had to make an excuse) but it did irk me a bit considering how many tools and time he has borrowed from me with a hard luck story. No, I really just wanted a day of peace for the wife and I, we have lots of stuff we needed to get done and were working all day since around 5:30.
So tonight he starts setting off fireworks, which are legal here. Common sense is also legal here. He has an acre, we are all surrounded by woods, his fireworks and mis-fires are bouncing off the trees. I saw one bounce off my shed. So I stood out in the dark supervising their antics because I thought there should be at least one adult present to call the fire department when the woods went up. They never saw me in the dark. Everything seemed to fizzle out. The Haines index is up at 4 right now. Not the best time to be doing this with bad aim. There was a break in 'the program' and I noticed a lot of flashlight beams swinging around. The women asked the men if they 'were done' and I heard some mumbled replies, then men talking. A few minutes later the program resumed with less speed. Pretty sure something happened but may never find out. Some of those shots were going off at alarmingly low angles and shooting through the trees into the brush piles above the swamp. I'll go out in another 1/2 hour and check on things. Tomorrow in the daylight I'll see what the damage is, if any. I hate finding fireworks carcasses on my roof, That really pithes me off.
I just needed to vent here to some sympathetic ears. I am not going to talk to other neighbors about this, it would be bad-mouthing the guy. I won't do that. I can't talk to my wife about it because it just gets her worked up. My place is not something out of Better Homes and Gardens, but his place is a dump and the pile just gets bigger. It just seems like he is ignorant that there is anyone around him. If he had 5 acres or more, that would be one thing, but on a single acre, it's a bit much since he makes no effort to keep his collection neat, it's just piles and it stays where he drops it. I may have to put up a fence, which is a major expense and it will not conceal the mess, it will just be a band aid.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) I mill for fun and my mental health. NYLT Certified.

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here.

Offline Pine Ridge

• Share Post
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2019, 04:43:10 PM »
I met a man and his wife a couple weeks ago that bought a place a quarter of a mile from us. Ice storm last winter had knocked over 2 white oaks at the edge of one of their fields, both were big trees, they said i could have them both if i wanted them. I finished them up yesterday, got 2 and a half cords of firewood out of them, took down another one close that the top had broke out of it, and then took out a big hazard tree leaning over his gate that was dead and ready to come down in the next storm. Very nice honest down to earth hard working folks, tickled to death they are neighbors and new friends.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2019, 05:23:54 PM »
My neighbor shoots meth and screams at me to get out of his house.  One of these days one of us is gonna wind up injured over it.  

Revelation 3:20

Offline Pine Ridge

• Share Post
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2019, 06:08:49 PM »
Mike we have some of them here too. It really did me some good to see good folks move in here.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2019, 07:26:48 PM »
Sometimes you get lucky...............Sometimes, you don't. A tale of two neighbors.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) I mill for fun and my mental health. NYLT Certified.

Offline K-Guy

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
    • http://www.nyle.com/
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2019, 03:54:21 PM »
The last of my bad neighbors moved away 5 or more years ago now........ Does that make me the bad neighbor??? :D :D
Nyle Kiln Sales & Service

Online Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2019, 05:43:12 PM »
I have one house across from me a 100 yards or so down the street on the third new neighbor. The rest,  we all been together 30+ years. So I went and told the guy right across from me about the house going up for sale.  Well, I guess, [he said] I'll go mark the line so the new guy will know where it is.   :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2019, 01:33:09 PM »
Checking back, the saga continues. He did clean up all the branches and chunks the weekend before the 4th so they could have a party (wherein they shot off their fireworks horizontally through the woods and onto my shop roof, I also believe I heard someone got hurt because the show stopped for about 10 minutes and there were a lot of hushed voices telling kids to go sit down.) We did not get invited, thankfully. He still has that 1 25' by 5" diameter stem laying across his front lawn. It can't weigh 50#.
 As I type this, he is out there mowing the rocks (lawn) on a husky lawn tractor, wearing a tank top, basketball shorts, safety goggles, and a hard hat on backwards (I have no idea). It's quite the picture. He has the deck so low that he is throwing rocks everywhere and I have lost count of how many times he hit something solid and stopped the engine dead, at least 10 now. This explains how I got the rock through my shop window 2 months ago, I think.
 I gotta leave the house. Not watching is hard enough to do, but the only way I can't hear it is to leave. :D

Online Nebraska

• I'm new! Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2019, 10:05:38 PM »
Made my senior in high school son laugh out loud when I read this to him,  he can handle a mower...  He and his brother go in and mow greens and tee boxes as their summer jobs. Going in at 5:30 or 6:00 in the morning keeps them out of trouble. So glad to have great neighbors, and they are all 1/2 mile away..

Online lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2019, 06:07:54 AM »
"tank top, basketball shorts, safety goggles, and a hard hat on backwards" This makes a hilarious picture  :^D

My left hand neighbor sets his mower to "scalp" also, but we don't have rocks for the most part. For some reason, he mows a good bit of my side yard. It bothers me a bit seeing the grass that low, but less for me to do, and I hate grass. You'd think that people who like grass would understand that longer grass is healthier, and holds up better to drought, therefore looks better :shrugs:

Offline rubberfish

• Share Post
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2019, 11:15:09 AM »
For some of us folks, the shorter grass makes for easier dog doo clean up.  ;D
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

Offline BluenoseLogger

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2019, 12:31:58 PM »
You've really got a mix of people like that everywhere - apartment dwellers, urban home owners, rural home owners. In relation to the latter two categories in particular, the first time someone requires a suburban home plot, or a rural acre or two with a house and shed, the suppressed urge to do projects can unleash itself. You also now have increased ability to store stuff. You start going to home supply and hardware stores and buying thousands of dollars worth of stuff, whether needed or not. In short order, even if you have a fifth of an acre and a house and shed and two trees and 250 square yards of lawn, you acquire a chainsaw, a lawn tractor, an ATV or two, a snow blower for your 30' long flat paved driveway, a rototiller for your postage stamp garden plot, a trailer, and every power tool known to man.

I'm not exaggerating here. Not so far from me in various directions are little patches of exurb, where you might have 50 or a hundred houses each on a quarter to half an acre, most all with sheds/garages, and depending on the weather the shed or garage doors are open often enough, and in the course of driving around you observe folks going about their activities. So you can see what people have got.

In keeping with all that there is also often an initial urge to do projects, just because you can. This is the phase where some unfortunate shade trees can get cut down, because once you buy that chainsaw, and since you buy your firewood cut and split, you need something to demonstrate your sawing process on. There is usually little consultation with the neighbours. The first few years, especially with folks who move for the first time onto a rural plot (not the boonies but simply out in the country), you may also see the chicken coop experiment, possibly a donkey and a horse, a giant garden, the urge to dig a pond, drainage projects, paving experiments, the need to build a new shed, and often enough all-hours small engine and automotive engine and bodywork repair activity.

Most of the time people settle down to a normal routine and way less projects after a first flush of enthusiasm. Once it sinks in how much essential work you have got in order to maintain your existing property and buildings you tend to be less keen on adding to it. Sounds like this young fellow isn't quite at that stage yet.

There is certainly no shortage of ATV owners in Nova Scotia. Some of them live pretty close to me. With few exceptions they tend not to possess any land where they can actually drive the things, which also means that they are purely recreational. Despite the protestations of the local ATV lobby that the bad apples are only a very small minority and everyone else is responsible, my frequent observations of ATVs driving on public roads (where they are not allowed to), on posted private roads, down streambeds, across farmers' fields, tearing up trails etc doesn't make me agree with them. So no, I am not fond of recreational ATVs. It doesn't help that some of the local kids like driving on fields not their own after dark, when most folks presumably would like a little bit of peace and quiet.

With respect to the young fellow and his chainsaw intentions, we were all inexperienced sawyers once. Hopefully most of us were somewhat cognizant of our lack of knowledge, and willing to accept advice. I remember that I was sufficiently in awe of the tool - and I maintain that respect to this day - that I drank up information as to how to do things properly. It takes a fair bit of confidence, however, to admit that you're not a power tool handyman and that you don't know how to shoot a firearm and that you don't have the first (EDITED BY ADMIN) clue how to fell a tree. I myself perpetrated some pretty awful first carpentry and bricklaying projects before I admitted that I should get some education. Were it not for the fact that this guy may be dropping trees off his property I'd leave him to his devices.

I am pretty lucky right now. The closest neighbours are a hundred yards away in any direction, and I get along with all of them. Mind you most of my perimeter is farm fields and the owners live a kilometre or more away, so that makes for good neighbours too.

Offline beav

• Full Member x2
  • got any logs?
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2019, 01:37:54 PM »
Bluenose:
You show a welcome amount of compassion and wisdom in your reply. I see you are Canadian.

beav-

Your post has been modified.  Comments regarding dealing with neighbors and the use of guns are inappropriate and have no place on the Forum, no matter how intended.  doctorb

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2019, 01:49:50 PM »
Bluenose:
You show a welcome amount of compassion and wisdom in your reply. I see you are Canadian.

EDIT:  My reply is no longer relevant.
HM126

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Team Physician
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2019, 02:11:08 PM »
btulloh-

Thank you for your reply.  

The post which you quoted has been modified to reflect the values of the Forum.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2019, 02:28:32 PM »
Excellent. I guess I should modify mine now. Thanks doctorb
HM126

Offline beav

• Full Member x2
  • got any logs?
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2019, 02:31:54 PM »
Doctorb: thank you for your quick action on my post. It was not in good spirit and was just stupid. I apologize to all that may have seen it.
The remaining part i still believe however

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Neighbors

Started by Peter Drouin on The Outdoor Board

161 Replies
Last post June 29, 2019, 10:40:58 PM
by Peter Drouin
xx
Neighbors Dog

Started by Mooseherder on General Board

25 Replies
Last post May 02, 2010, 01:28:20 PM
by pigman