The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Jumper Cables - Good, heavy, reasonably priced?  (Read 1443 times)

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
Jumper Cables - Good, heavy, reasonably priced?
« on: July 05, 2019, 12:53:46 PM »
I know that those three things don't go together, but let's see if there's a way to get some good ones that aren't $250.

My good pair (??) is letting me down and needs to be replaced.  The copper jaws turned out to be copper plated, which are now rust plated.  My bad pair is just, well . . . bad.  They were dedicated to a vehicle for very occasional use, but they're not adequate for tractors and such.

Of course I have a jump box, which is great for it's intended purpose, so we can skip that conversation.  

Looking around today for replacements, I don't see anything that grabs me.  I'm thinking 2 ga. 20 ft is what I can get by with.  I see these ranging from $25 to $250.  Some look too cheesy.  $250 doesn't sound good to me.

Anybody happy with their jumper cables?
HM126

Online lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
Re: Jumper Cables - Good, heavy, reasonably priced?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 01:23:15 PM »
I used to have some made from old welding cable. Not sure what happened to them, but they were the best I had. I think I might have found them in the trash. Don't know how one would get some without working for a welding shop.

Offline goose63

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 01:59:19 PM »
I have 2 sets made out of welding lead you can buy all the welding lead you want at a welding supply store
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Online lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 02:03:26 PM »
LoL! A welding shop! Who'd have thought of that?! Not sure what was going on in my head. I guess I was thinking of getting some as cheap as mine were($0), but that's a tall order regardless of what cables you get.

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 02:17:37 PM »
Interesting turn.  I actually have a bunch of extra welding cable.  I also can put new clamps on my "good" cables.  Or both.

So now this comes down to a discussion about clamps.

I am also suffering from too much broke stuff, too many chores, and too many projects.  So there's that.  Recently I've had a number of one to two hour jobs turn into multi-hour jobs.  Like sorting out the cable problems on this tractor, that has become a building new jumper cable project.  ( I could start a whole thread on broke stuff that requires another broke thing to fix, that requires yet another broke thing . . .  But that would empty the room in a hurry.   :D )

Now I'm down to sourcing good clamps that will fit #00 wire AND connect to not only battery posts and cable ends, but a variety of things like solenoid posts, etc.  In many cases, at least at one end, there's no easy access or limited access to the battery itself.  Not to mention that normal alligator clamps don't like to connect to the new fangled terminations they're putting in vehicles now.

So anyway, I've looked at a variety of clamps online and nothing is jumping out as a good choice for #00 cable.  This can't be that difficult.
HM126

Online lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 02:50:53 PM »
How about something like this...

Amazon.com: Heavy Duty 1000A Battery Jumper Cable Clamp Clip Booster Lead Electrical 2pcs Red&Black: Automotive

Add your own terminal ends for attachment.

edit:
As far as that goes, scavenge clamps from dead cables, and bolt them on using your terminal ends.

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 03:34:19 PM »
Saw those, and a thousand others.  Connecting them to #00 can be challenging, especially without seeing them in person.

FWIW, I've terminated #00 (and even #2) without proper tools and it takes longer than you would think.  It's a project.  

Ring terminals for #00 cost 5$ apiece, give or take.  So that's $40 for the clamps, $20 for the ring terminals (Which are probably too big to fit).  Time, aggravation, marginal results.  Hmmmm.  Scrounge clamps fromm my clamps that don't work?   Hmmmm . . .

I think there are some $60 cables out there that can be ok for a while, no assembly required. I'll quote a noted philosopher named  . . . . . . . . . "lxskllr" . . . . who recently said in another thread: "Tonight, I could throw out every dollar I have, and I'll have more tomorrow. It's virtually infinite. Time OTOH, is gone forever once it's gone. Every second I spend doing something I don't want to do comes off the ledger, never to be replaced. I'll take time over money every time."

So anyway, I appreciate the link and the thought, but I'm trying to live up to your credo!  :D :D

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 03:46:43 PM »
Y'all almost got me to go down the welding cable rabbit hole!!!   :o :o I must be getting weak in the brain!!   :( :(

When I posted this, I was thinking maybe someone would chime in with "I bought some XYZ cables recently at Unknown Auto Parts and they work pretty well".   :D :D

It's early yet, and hope springs eternal.  After dinner tonight, I'm expecting some good traffic on this topic!
HM126

Online lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 04:10:18 PM »
You definitely wouldn't have liked my alternate plan... Pulling parts off the old clamps, and building new ones out of wood  :^D

I take particular pleasure in making something out of nothing, and will spend more time than it's worth playing with trash just for the fun in doing it. I don't have the skills a lot of you have. I can't weld, I don't have metal working supplies, no fancy woodworking tools... What I can do is work miracles with a leatherman, Swiss Army knife, some tiewire, and assorted junk to pick through. It usually isn't pretty, but it generally works. Mostly...  :^D

Offline snobdds

• I'm new!
    • Share Post

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 04:30:47 PM »
I have some for the kids, (rarely used) that were  2 g 20 feet for 29 bucks at a black Friday deal at a farm store.  for my truck I had fleet wireing installed so 25 feet with a connection on the front and back of the truck, wired via breaker to the electric system.  the cables have the mated connector so I can jump from 25 feet, front or back of the truck.  worth it since I usually so the jump starting at my house.  although My son is getting asked to do more for the experience.  the cheap ones have and insulation that looks a little cheesy, but the new ones do too.  I tried to buy welding cable but both leads were black and separate wires.  they said there was no such thing available like you see with cables.  would have gotten tangled ect.  If all that is wrong with the old set, is the clamps, I would buy new clamps.  I still have my first pair, but a few melted areas of insulation and clamps also rusted and a little abused.  with the fleet wire, I can jump my truck as well without raising the hood.  I will post pics later.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 04:36:18 PM »
I see an Energizer brand called a permanent installation kit, 1 g, 30 feet.  the connections look like mine.  I had mine professionally installed and paid hundreds.  on amazon for 80 bucks
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.

Offline snobdds

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2019, 04:38:58 PM »
I have some for the kids, (rarely used) that were  2 g 20 feet for 29 bucks at a black Friday deal at a farm store.  for my truck I had fleet wireing installed so 25 feet with a connection on the front and back of the truck, wired via breaker to the electric system.  the cables have the mated connector so I can jump from 25 feet, front or back of the truck.  worth it since I usually so the jump starting at my house.  although My son is getting asked to do more for the experience.  the cheap ones have and insulation that looks a little cheesy, but the new ones do too.  I tried to buy welding cable but both leads were black and separate wires.  they said there was no such thing available like you see with cables.  would have gotten tangled ect.  If all that is wrong with the old set, is the clamps, I would buy new clamps.  I still have my first pair, but a few melted areas of insulation and clamps also rusted and a little abused.  with the fleet wire, I can jump my truck as well without raising the hood.  I will post pics later.
Mine are welding cables and they came separate as well.  I just took some gorilla tape and taped them togheter ever 12 inches to keep them together.  
The ones I linked to are the ones I have and they are heavy, which to me means they are solid copper wire.  

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2019, 04:42:52 PM »
the outer cable (that unplugs and stores behind my back seat) was made from a set of cables, but the permanent truck wire front and back was done with welding cable.  if you wire the batteries to connections at either end of your vehicle, you sure do not want a short!

Offline rubberfish

• Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2019, 06:44:55 PM »
The ones that snobdds linked are in Canuck Bucks so even cheaper with the current exchange rate.
Just buy some quality ones and be done with it. And don't ever loan them out. Tada done. smiley_beertoast
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

Offline sprucebunny

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2019, 06:55:55 PM »
I have some real nice ones that were reasonable priced but I don't remember where I got them and have never seen a brand name on any of them. They are blue. Does that help ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2019, 07:07:40 PM »
They look good. In my Amazon app it shows $181.xx American US Actual Dollars. I keep waiting for the lower price to show up!!

Im trying to warm up to spending that much. I get it, you get what you pay for. I just paid real estate taxes, auto insurance, three new tractor batteries, an unscheduled $800 lawnmower repair, and couple things I cant even remember. Give me a few minutes to get my spending shoes on.  Oh yeah, I need a new set of 18 tires on the truck.

Maybe someones going to weigh in with almost good enough $60 cables.
HM126

Offline luvmexfood

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2019, 07:14:02 PM »
I got a set at O'Reileys auto parts a few years back. #2 cable, long enough to go from truck battery to tongue of my trailer to supply power to the winch mounted on it. If I need the winch I just hook it up to power with them. One of these days I might get around to running wire permanently. They have the kind of insulation that doesn't get stiff in cold weather. Metal ends. I have used them a bunch and would buy again if needed. Can't remember what I paid but think in the forty dollar range.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2019, 07:25:15 PM »
OK, here are the $65.99 cables:  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline rubberfish

• Share Post
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2019, 08:00:44 PM »
The thread will be quiet for an hour or so while everyone jumps on that.
Very good price. Thanks for the link.  8)
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
What size jumper cables to carry?

Started by terrifictimbersllc on Sawmills and Milling

20 Replies
Last post May 29, 2011, 08:47:00 PM
by ljmathias
xx
Is there a good reasonably priced small diesel engine?

Started by OneWithWood on Alternative methods and solutions

24 Replies
Last post May 03, 2007, 01:10:54 PM
by treebucker
xx
066 magnum... time jumper???

Started by knuckledragger on Chainsaws

14 Replies
Last post May 21, 2019, 10:34:40 PM
by knuckledragger
smiley
Stump Jumper lost his typist!