The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: What is "Swamp Ash" tone wood?  (Read 10055 times)

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
Re: What is "Swamp Ash" tone wood?
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2019, 07:16:13 PM »
I never confused it with chestnut, just wasn't sure if it was white or black. It was black, as confirmed by Hoadley himself. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"Logrite!

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2019, 09:07:52 PM »
What is the problem with black ash for firewood? It's probably our second most popular species, behind red oak.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2019, 05:58:50 AM »
People won't use the lighter hardwoods around here. I burn it if it's my own, but I'd never be able to sell a stick to others. That includes elm, aspen, and to a lesser degree red maple and white birch. The 4 go to firewood species that you can sell locally is sugar maple, beech, and yellow birch and there are a few that won't even buy white ash. People don't want the rest of the species line up. I have been burning pine, spruce, larch, box elder, sugar maple, white birch, yellow birch, Norway maple, apple, walnut, butternut, cedar, basswood. It has all made good heat in my house. :D 6-1/2 cords in my stash all came from the yard and I got 1-1/2 cord of sugar maple I bought.  :)
Move'n on.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2019, 06:15:33 AM »
I never confused it with chestnut, just wasn't sure if it was white or black. It was black, as confirmed by Hoadley himself. :)
I had to go find the thread, and yes it was others guessing chestnut. But not I. :)

Chunk of wood ID in Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.
Move'n on.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2019, 07:00:06 AM »
One of the things I do outside of this area is volunteer my time helping to run a few select music events and one of those is The Woodstock Invitational Luthier's Showcase. It is an exclusive event, one of the premiere shows and brings in custom builders and buyers from all over the world, exhibitors are by invitation only and some wait 3-5 years to get a table. The event draws several hundreds of the general public (mostly east coast, but some west) and has music and workshops all weekend (I run the workshops). Part of this is the 'Tonewood Festival' which is pretty much strictly for builders both the exhibitors and the attendees. It is set up in a big tent adjacent to one of the 5 buildings in use for the show. Now this tent is not piled high with lumber. The vendors come with small stacks of very select woods, many exotics, but some are just good examples of North American wood products. Some is planed, most is not. Pieces down to 1/4 inch thickness and 10x 14 inches. I see builders go in there and spend a lot of time looking, smelling, and tapping wood (listening for resonance and sound quality). When they finally buy, they lay down some real cash. Swamp ash can bring $25. a board foot or more. A luthier will take an 1-1/4 board and split it several times to make tops or backs. I seldom see then walk out with boards longer than 18". Little stacks of several woods and they pay a few hundred dollars. Good wood, to a luthier is like gold and they will hide, hoard, and save it for just the right build. I have a luthier friend who drove up to Maine to collect some thin spruce that had been cut and dried since the 50's which was milled for making airplanes and doing restorations. He loves the stuff and is so proud of his find. Tone woods are a very real thing.
Can You help out the Coleman Veterans Memorial by chipping in a few bucks? Go here for the full story: Can you help this year? in General Board

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter