The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: How much am I worth?  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Brad_S.

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: How much am I worth?
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2019, 09:08:20 PM »
 Thank you all for your input. I am going to sit down this weekend and really dissect this thread to come up with a list to take into my meeting. Right now I am running myself and my equipment into the ground.  If I have to, I will fire up the sawmill and get back into the milling business  although I am not too excited about that option. However,  I do feel like I am being taken advantage of right now so we shall see what transpires. 
 Thank you all again! I really REALLY appreciate the input! 
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Offline ScottCC

• New ideas welcome
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2019, 07:32:08 PM »
An independent contractor can also lose.  I give my guy prices that I do 90% of my work through.  I made $800 a day laying stone floors this winter for three solid weeks.  Im getting crushed right now bc my ideas for manufacturing big screens to go in gazebos for 10 buildings was really wrong.  For three weeks!  I might not survive this one.  If its not nailed down Ill sell it.  I play life like I play monopoly, all in and hope I get to go and roll the dice well.  When someone is really an independent contractor there is significant risk.  Are you trying to max your reward but minimize your risk by staying with one guy.  Do yourself a favor and try to pick up 3 jobs with unknown clients doing exactly what you want where you want at the price you want.  6 weeks of work, your current guy will not mind nor is he legally allowed to direct you otherwise.  Live off only that money for that time.  If it works and you like it you will have a what to do answer.  
Necessity is the mother of invention.  Poverty is its big brother.  WM mp100, WM eg100, WM sp4000 chip extractor,  WM 260 molder on order ,WM electric  lt15 wide with extra track, 71 Oliver allterrain forklift, 26' flat bed trailer, road legal log arch, homemade kiln, AutoCAD lt15

Offline low_48

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2019, 10:25:33 PM »
It's the old saying about selling something or yourself, you're worth what you can get. The trouble with this current arrangement is that he knows how low you will go. You're going to have to leave that arrangement to get what it takes to make a living. Chalk it up to experience and start looking. Of course, don't quit until you find a new job.

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2019, 09:27:42 AM »
No serious response on this, but it depends who ask that of, boss, wife, or dog.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Another what's it worth?

Started by Beattiebros on Sawmills and Milling

4 Replies
Last post March 30, 2017, 10:25:50 AM
by Remle
xx
What it worth?

Started by logman81 on Forestry and Logging

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 10:57:36 AM
by logman81