The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Drum Switch Wiring on an older Wood Mizer Mill- Please help  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Ricker

• Share Post
Re: Drum Switch Wiring on an older Wood Mizer Mill- Please help
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2019, 04:38:50 PM »
I don't know where in Maine you located but you might want to google Ross Claire at Wood-Maine and give them a call. He's a busy man but I think he does field calls, don't know the cost of such a visit

Offline Maine Gal

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2019, 06:52:47 PM »
Update for anyone coming to the forum with similar issues-
 I spoke with @sparks at WM Indy earlier who explained that the drum switch we had purchased through the Maine WM just will not work with our current set up unless we upgrade the power feed and speed control from the ancient original style we have on this ol' dinosaur. Very nice, knowledgeable man. That made me feel a bit better knowing that no matter what diagram I had or wires I switched it wasn't an issue I could solve no matter how much I tried. Wish I had called prior to spending 2 frustrated weeks on this.   
I don't feel better about the $818 it will cost to upgrade unless we can get the original drum switch hooked back up for the time being. 
 whiteflag_smiley 
Thank you to Rick (Sparks) for your help today and everyone who offered suggestions on the forum. Hopefully after I get a couple other wires figured out that were rigged we'll be up and running again soon!

Offline Woodpecker52

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2019, 09:42:28 PM »
I think I would rather go back to the old drum switch and save 818 dollars.  If the only issue is a backwards throw then just duck tape and sharpie and label what is forward and what is reverse. Ebay has a lot of drum switches for sale.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Offline Maine Gal

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2019, 11:22:09 AM »
Woohoo! Got the old, original drum switch hooked back up after speaking with another knowledgeable man over to WM Indy, (Tim, maybe?) who provided me with the old wiring diagram and helped me walk through figuring out some other horrendous wiring issues so I could rewire. The old girl is again milling! Yay! Wanted to share the drum switch diagram in case it will help someone else, as I couldn't find one anywhere online when I looked for it. The bottom one is for the earliest models like mine. Happy girl here!
8)

Offline Ben Cut-wright

• I'm new here! I'm old everywhere else
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2019, 09:47:52 AM »

Happy to hear it's working. Thanks for posting that wiring diagram. WoodMizer technical and parts support has pulled my fat out of the fire a few times.

Would you be so good as to report your assessment of forward speed control with the rheostat unit?  Since these have steps in speed, not infinite control, it is often the case you have to select a speed a bit slower than the mill could accommodate.

Did you determine what caused the starter feedback issue?

Cleaning the drum switch regularly and lubing with the proper product will prolong its life.  Might be wise to be thinking about what the best route will be when it fails in the future.  Inspect and replace the motor brushes is also another electrical maintenance item.

Offline Maine Gal

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2019, 09:42:08 PM »
The starter feedback was wiring hooked up incorrectly. One of the drum switches was wired in with the starter in the box. Lots of wires in the wrong spots. A mess, but I have it under control finally. 

As far as the rheostat question, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. We milled all day today, never going above 3 when cutting. The old 14 hoss Kohler motor has all she can do to keep up with that. Any faster & it has a hard time. Cutting thicker boards we kept it at 2. 

This has all been a big learning curve and I'm sure we'll be learning a lot more. The power feed upgrade is right around the corner I'm sure. I have all the manuals printed so going to try to keep up with whatever we can as far as maintenance to keep the old gal going. It was a great feeling to end the day with a big pile of lumber ready for building tomorrow instead of heading the the lumber yard to buy some  ;)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
Need help wiring 1hp motor to a drum switch

Started by GF on General Board

1 Replies
Last post January 22, 2014, 09:08:06 AM
by GF
question
Drum switch wiring help needed

Started by Larry on Sawmills and Milling

16 Replies
Last post December 15, 2009, 10:56:47 PM
by Chico