The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Another build thread... JoshNZ  (Read 7246 times)

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
Re: Another build thread... JoshNZ
« Reply #220 on: October 28, 2019, 08:06:31 AM »
I definitely agree with magicman. The biggest trick is figuring out how to make them swing out of the way.

2 ways I can think of quickly. 

a clamp collar that will loosen drop the legs then tighten in place. of course this would basically defeat the purpose of adjustable.

pivot with a pin just like a trailer jack. 

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #221 on: October 28, 2019, 08:19:49 AM »
Mine don't swing up, etc.  Holes and a pin drops the inner portion down, and then the fine adjust takes over from there to do the final adjust.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline blderman

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #222 on: October 28, 2019, 04:42:03 PM »
I found a spare day today and did a bit of playing around trying to figure out these legs. Still...

Came up with this. The lengths of the tubes need to be cut to suit and it needs to be foldable I think. No use making a mill portable and then having it bottom out on anything but a tennis court.

I turned a length of acme thread, with a 16mm shaft and M16 thread at the top, then secured it in the larger tube free to rotate. I'll probably get rid of the second nut and roll pin the first one, which will be used to torque the leg up and down. The inside tube has the nut welded to the top and just rides up and down.

Don't know if I like it or not. Can't believe I'm still hung up here. 2 months to build a mill, 1 month to build the legs?..

I did weld some new pockets about 6" in and have since gone around and welded handles to the end of the adjustment bolts. Otherwise I've been stalled. Lacking inspiration and just generally busy.

I mounted my jacks on the outboard side and don't like it.  They are constantly in the way and getting hit by logs....and my knees.  At some point this winter I will be changing this, just thought I would offer this up as perspective for your design. 

Offline JoshNZ

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #223 on: October 28, 2019, 05:04:18 PM »
Mine will have to go below the saw band, the saw wheels extend out too far beyond the bed for them to sit up proud like yours so I wonder if 1, having them lower than the bed might mitigate this and 2, having no handle on top. Just a nice sharp nut to catch your shins on =/...

I will try and put them inside the rails if I can work out a space where they can hinge away.

I checked surplus center again, $20 a piece for bracketed stands :'(. I might phone them and see if I can work out a deal on shipping them.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #224 on: October 28, 2019, 08:55:39 PM »
I mounted mine on the inside.  My bunks move and sometimes I need to move/remove them to adjust as the handles swing in a pretty big arc.  I lucked out and got all 12 for free.  They are 2,000lb rated.

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #225 on: October 28, 2019, 09:39:32 PM »
I found a spare day today and did a bit of playing around trying to figure out these legs. Still...

Came up with this. The lengths of the tubes need to be cut to suit and it needs to be foldable I think. No use making a mill portable and then having it bottom out on anything but a tennis court.

I turned a length of acme thread, with a 16mm shaft and M16 thread at the top, then secured it in the larger tube free to rotate. I'll probably get rid of the second nut and roll pin the first one, which will be used to torque the leg up and down. The inside tube has the nut welded to the top and just rides up and down.

Don't know if I like it or not. Can't believe I'm still hung up here. 2 months to build a mill, 1 month to build the legs?..

I did weld some new pockets about 6" in and have since gone around and welded handles to the end of the adjustment bolts. Otherwise I've been stalled. Lacking inspiration and just generally busy.
Could add one more tube that the whole leg drops in with a spring loaded pin and some holes in your current outer tube (may need to add a thicker piece of metal for the holes) then you could lift the legs up out of the way for good ground clearance for transport.

Offline ManjiSann

• Doing more with less because I can't afford more;)
    • Share Post
« Reply #226 on: October 29, 2019, 09:13:50 AM »
Haven't had the time to read the entire thread but what I've seen I really like! 

Posting so I can find the thread to finish it when I have the time. Some day I hope to build one!

Brandon 
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Poulan Pro PR5020, Husky 390XP

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #227 on: October 29, 2019, 09:40:16 AM »
Could add one more tube that the whole leg drops in with a spring loaded pin and some holes in your current outer tube (may need to add a thicker piece of metal for the holes) then you could lift the legs up out of the way for good ground clearance for transport.
The Wood-Mizer FAO's have 3 sections.  The bottom (inside) section drops down and is pinned with holes through the second section.  The top of the second section contains threads and is then screwed down.  The threaded rod is of course attached to the top of the outside section.  Three telescoping sections makes the FAO short for transportation.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #228 on: October 29, 2019, 12:27:55 PM »
Yep, same thing, only different.  :)

Offline JoshNZ

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #229 on: October 30, 2019, 09:29:41 PM »
I heard back from surplus center, $120 worth of stands to my address, just a wee extra $460 for freight  :o don't know why I bothered asking.

So I'm back to fabricating something like what I've got here, and adding swivels.

I got distracted with repairing an old wood clamp I inherited maybe a decade ago, it was snapped at the end of the thread and had no foot. I built up a mass of steel on the end of the thread with the welder then ground a ball on the end with drill+bench grinder. Turned a foot, and a handle, and blued/punched on there. Jeez lathes are cool  8) they should be standard issue at birth.

My dad and I have been doing a bit of work on his boat, he's upgraded his anchor winch to an auto capstan, I've been keeping a close eye on the old one sitting there not gaining any attention  :)
It'd make a much better motor to drive the lead screws but I guess it's a shame to dissemble a functioning winch. Not that I really need a winch

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #230 on: October 31, 2019, 07:43:18 AM »
Wouldn't be a shame at all. The shame is something sitting collecting dust and not getting used when you have a use for it.

Offline JoshNZ

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #231 on: October 31, 2019, 11:28:03 PM »
Is there any useful function for a winch on the mill? Not if I take a tractor everywhere I go probably...

I finally knuckled down and smashed out the jack threads. It actually wasn't so bad at all I did the shafts in maybe 3 hours and the nuts in 1. I was doing the first shaft with hss slowly under coolant, then had a light bulb moment while texting a friend about it and thought to myself why aren't I doing this fast, with carbide. I couldn't do the lead screws like that cause the shaft hanging out the headstock got out of kilter but I didn't have that prob here.
Long story short they're all turned at about 900RPM, gave myself a big relief to stop at the end with the foot brake. Fast carbide is Def the way I'll thread from now on!

My only concern is I only have a 2mm shoulder holding the weight. A thrust bearing would be better but they're about $20ea. I might weld a collar on but probably not now.

Will be one nut on each thread on top of a washer and the nut will be secured with a roll pin flush with edges. I might raise the stop that the shaft snugs up against too, to get some more weld on it. The weight will be hanging off a weld but I think 8" of bead around it should do ok.

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #232 on: November 01, 2019, 08:40:36 AM »
Very nice.   smiley_thumbsup  Slather them thoroughly with white grease.   ;D

Offline JoshNZ

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #233 on: November 07, 2019, 06:29:06 PM »
What's your guys gut feeling on using 3mm wall tube for swivel mounts for these legs? It's the only tube around I can find that telescopes and even then it needed a quick skim with the lathe.

The outside is say 50x3mm, inside obviously 44x3mm now. Would only be a stub, just long enough to fit two locating pin holes at 90 to eachother.

Otherwise it's back to the steel shop for another couple hundred bucks =/

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #234 on: November 07, 2019, 08:45:25 PM »
That will be fine. you have plenty of surface area to spread the load.

Offline JoshNZ

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #235 on: November 10, 2019, 06:39:51 AM »
I finally got around to cutting and drilling the tubes. All the holes line up perfectly, surprisingly  8).

Ive left bugger all tolerance between the tubes, I didn't want there to be any slop in the legs, so I'll spend the next couple of days adding several spots of welds to each tube whenever I think of it. I managed to keep them all inboard, and they're pretty low profile, quite a good addition I think. I was also thinking I'll put threaded rod just above the suspension leaves, to wind down and lock them from bouncing. This must be common practice? Either lift the axle off the ground, or lock the leaves and use it as extra support?

I'll put feet on them, also want to add wooden blocks somewhere for the log clamps to press against during travel. Then paint it. Then I'll call it finished I think. Am I forgetting anything? Mud guards... They're folded and ready to go I think I'm just going to put shafts at each end of the guards that slide sideways into the frame and nut, or linch pin in.

I spent more time fixing my lathe than I did using it this week. One of the gears decided it no longer fit on the gearshaft, and wouldn't shift  >:( >:(. I had to drift the shaft out and the bearings off, and it didn't go back nicely I had to file some burrs away. Might be the beginning of a drawn out end I don't know. Chinese crap  ::)

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #236 on: November 10, 2019, 08:55:55 AM »
I wish I had put my jacks inboard like that. I think you will be happy. I am still willing to bet money your going to hate that tongue and it will get changed within the first year of cutting :)

Mill is looking great.

Offline JoshNZ

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #237 on: November 10, 2019, 02:06:30 PM »
Which tongue is that?

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #238 on: November 10, 2019, 05:33:38 PM »
the trailer tongue / knee buster / I am sick of walking around this thing tongue. :)

Offline JoshNZ

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #239 on: November 10, 2019, 07:26:30 PM »
Well I can't weld it to the back of my Ute XD. What do you propose I change it to haha

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
And another sawmill build thread...

Started by ljohnsaw on Sawmills and Milling

112 Replies
Last post October 12, 2019, 08:49:15 PM
by ljohnsaw
xx
bugpeople's Butt and pass build thread

Started by bugpeople on Timber Framing/Log construction

37 Replies
Last post March 28, 2018, 03:14:41 PM
by Jeff
xx
2011 Pig Roast Thread (now the RSVP Thread Please let us know if you might come)

Started by Jeff on General Board

242 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 10:47:47 AM
by Jeff
grin
Well this is a 'What are they up to?' thread

Started by SwampDonkey on General Board

20 Replies
Last post October 11, 2006, 04:50:45 AM
by asy