iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone ever used or own a hudson band mill?? opinions??

Started by NESL_Supply, February 28, 2005, 10:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NESL_Supply

:P   I am considering buying a band mill to saw some of my smaller logs, I am looking for opinions on the hudson brand of sawmills, they are a lower end bandsaw, but look like they work well, i am only going to use this to saw a few logs here and there, just specialty stuff like exotics and figured logs, or stuff for my buddies, any opinions??  ???  Thanks 

Jeff

I know we have some owners on the forum so I better keep my opinions gained from looking at them at shows to myself.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

Scroll down to the for sale section, as one of our members has one for sale.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

D._Frederick

N_S,

I have seen the Hudson mills at the Oregon Logging Conference the past 3 years and see nothing out of line with a manual mill of this type.  If I were buying a Hudson, I would look at the models that use ( were made of )heavier guage tubing.  They would hold up better to heavier logs, also these models have larger hp engines.

music_boy

I had a Hudson Oscar 18 that I just sold cause I got sawdust in my veins and went Orange ;D
That model was too small for my growing hobby. I agree with DF on the larger size and HP engines.
They use the Woodmizer blades but that is a choice I guess. The band wheels are on greaseabl pillowblocks that appear to be good quality.My mill was all manual from the blade tensioning, up and down, log dogs ect. I found mine to cut very accurate lumber. One of the reasons I choose the Hudson was because of the price. It is a no frills mill that did a good job for me. One concern I had and would have with a used mill would be the blade roller bearings. They are not a s has an Oscar 28 ealed bearing, mine weren't anyway, and you might want to rig up a lube system which means the bearings are going to get lots of waterr on and in them. Hudson has some different blade guides now but I can't offer an opinion on those.
     I know Dan Shade has an Oscar 28,, I understand the log dog set up is different than on my 18. Hopefully he'll weigh in and fill in the gaps.
Good luck
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

Dan_Shade

I have an Oscar 28, as Music Boy noted.

Some general observations:

It has an 8HP engine, which is underpowered, i'm trying to figure out an easy way to get some more HP out of it.

The track has lots of room for improvement, but it's a cheap saw, so those are the drawbacks.  I've finally got mine level with a box of cedar shingles to level it up on boards, I was too cheap to go buy 12' 4x4's or something solid to set it on.  I'm planning on making a tubing frame this weekend.

The Options are stupid expensive for the Hud-son, as far as I'm concerned, the drip tank was an $85 option, and it consisted of a gallon gas can, a hose, and a valve.  I made my own from junk laying around.  another extension track is $300, for probably $550 I can make the heavier tubing one, more details on that later...

It is what it is, I sorta wish I had the Oscar 30 model, as you can option it for a larger engine, but it was about $800 more or so.

Bottom line, for me, thus far, I'm happy with it, partly because I already have it.  My only real complaint is it's so slow, it pretty much takes an hour to saw up a 22" poplar, but that includes peeling the bark off of the log with a hatchet.  It's definately a low production/hobby setup, but faster than a chainsaw.  There's no way you could be close to profitable with this setup.

I can send you guys some higher resolution pictures if you want, just let me know.

I also have a video of cutting a slab off that we took, shows how slow it actually cuts, the video's are large (25megs or so), I can send those too, but that requires a high speed connection, and preferably a direct connection through an instant message system (like AIM)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

If you are looking for a low end Hobby type saw why not take a look at one of our Sponsors, Baker Proucts Buddy Saw? Its only $2500.  My beef with those hudson saws may just be the way they were demoed at the shows I was at, but I was not impressed. Even with what I would call small logs, it seemed like the tracks flexed and moved around. Maybe because of a show setting without optimum conditions? Dunno, but as I said, I was not impressed

Here is a link to the Baker saw

http://www.baker-online.com/DOCUMENTS/wood%20buddy.html
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dan_Shade

another problem with the hud-son is the band wheels are too small, which will result in shorter blade life.  but then again, for as slow as it cuts, for a low end user, you may never notice...

from my research, I found all of the lower end mills to be about the same, for the most part, the nicer optioned ones are twice as much as my oscar28 was.

I basically found the closest distributer to me, and went from there, he worked it where my saw was shipped to a show he was going to, and he brought it back.  I avoided the shipping charges that way.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Norwiscutter

I think that your expectations have to be in line with your pocket book.   If there was a mill out there that was the least expensive but cut lots of wood, with good quality, we would all own that mill.  I own an oscar 36 and am very happy with the saw head itself- plenty of power (23horse), and it seams to be well thought out in accordance to the KISS principle.  Jeff is right though, the track systems are less then impressive.  I couldn't see spending 1900 on a 20ft. trailer that looked suspect as far as durability is concerned.  I instead went out and had a welder build me a 30 ft trailer out of 5/16 2x6 tubeular steel.  Added screw jacks and drop posts all the way around.  Cost just over 2500 to have done, plus some scavanged parts from around  the area, but was worth every penny.  I can cut 26 ft logs if I have to and have on a number of ocassions.  I have compared the option prices for a lot of Hudson's stuff to other companies and they seam to be in line. I bought my mill before I found the forrestry forum, so I don't feal bad about owning one.  Now that I am in the market for bigger mill, I made a point of first looking at all the mills offered by the sponsors of this site before I looked at anything else.  The fact that a company does or does not sponsor this site will play a role in my decision.  However, it won't be the only factor that goes into my decision.
The whole part time sawing thing has snowballed on me to the point where it is time to make the jump into full time operations, but up until now, the hudson mill has met my needs and would be high on my list if I was to ever again be in the market for that sized mill.  Of course I would make a point to hit them up for a forum sponsorship before I wrote them a check. :)
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Rancher

I have owned my Oscar 36 for almost a year and to date haven't had any problems. At the time I thought it was a little bit overkill for part-time sawing. The cost helped in my decision but more important was the proximity of the dealer. 100 miles is like just around the corner. Maybe just begineers luck but I did get mine on a trailer and haven't had any track problems at all. I have had some fair sized logs on but I don't slam them around so that probably helps. As a good tool for the ranch and a little side work it was a good tool to justify.
If you're honest you don't have to trust your memory.

NESL_Supply

Thanks for the info, i am reading it and considering the different points of view, I really only need a mill to saw some small apple logs and saw up some large burls and chunks of figured logs, i am not looking for a commercial set up, I let the big mills saw the lumber, then i sell it for them, I think an oscar 18 would do me just fine, I know one of the threads below refered to the 18 as a good mill, but he is probably sawing a lot more then i ever would, so I think it is quite sufficient, I considered going with a chainsaw mill, but i would lose too much wood. Especially when i am sawing 11 and 12 inch spalted apple or burls. I would lose a quarter of the log. Oscar 18's are going for $2300 right now, and i can pick one up fairly locally in NY or NH, but am keep8ing my eyes open for something better for a decent price, Thanks

music_boy

NESL.....
      Now that I understand what you want to cut with the Oscar 18, let me share my experience with small stuff and burls.
       I found the log holding system that came with my mill (bought it bout year and a half or less ago) left ALOT to be desired. The larger pieces were not bad because of the inherent weight and gravity. A 5 hp motor will cut, and you learn how to pace the engine and cutting.  Cutting a burl or anything small will in my opinion, require some special rigging to SAFELY hold it in place. If what ever you are cutting comes loose, ,,,,,,,,,,,you are standing behind the opening cause you are pudhing the saw through. I had this happen to me. Luckily, it only slammed the piece against the inside post and no damage to me or the saw. Scared the bajeezus outa me. That's when I rigged up a better hold down system.
       I don't mean to be presumptious with anything, but I made the statement that it was a good low-end saw. .......for lumber. I couldn't in good conscience not further qualify that once you stated you were planning to cut small stuff and burls. 
        For what the 18 lists for, you might beable to get better saw used.  I'll bet you could get a Woodmizer Lt 15 for just a bit more money and be more satisfied in the long run. (I've seen the Lt 15 and it has a much nicer clamping setup.
Anyway,,,,,,,,my thoughts and good luck in whatever you decide.
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

Norwiscutter

I think that for small burl's amd such, you will have to devise you rown clamping mechinism regardless of the mill you choose.  What ever mill you get you will probably have to come up with something on your own, or maybe order an extra set of clamps swith your mill so you could put to right next to each other,allowing the clamping of small pieces. 
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Kirk_Allen

If you not going to be cutting that much anyway it may be more feasable to hire a bandmiller or swingmill to come to your site and cut for a day. 

If your anything like most of us once you get the milling bug you will wish you had something bigger.

I think Jeff hit the nail on the head.  Visit the sponsors on the left of the page!

NESL_Supply

We do not have any small millers around here, i have checked, the few there are are booked for a long time with jobs, for $2000 I can make my money back on the first job i have booked already, the only catch is the logs need to be sawn live edge, pretty simple, Thanks

Ironwood

NESL

Funny how people keep turning up in the darnedest places!

REID CROSBY
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

NESL_Supply

Reid, it is probably just me, but where do i know you from?? Thanks, Joe

Russ

When I'm cutting hardwood on my Oscar 36 there seems to be alot of movement in the wood. I end up rolling the log alot to relieve the tension evenly. Imagine the log springing up 1/8 inch after you cut a board. But the boards are more stable than off a circle mill after they come off. Hudson is the only small mill with a power feed option. If you have your own hardwood lot it can pay for itself.

Ironwood

NESL, Joe

I have contacted you about some lumber, and my friend Don Phillips had a dealing with you a while back? I feel that you treated him OK although I disagree with you keeping the shipping cost. Don is the most honest and straight forward guy I have met in ages and have much respect for him. Point is that it's a small world and people for your past have a way of showing up in the future. Just a little business advice.

Regards Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

NESL_Supply

Reid, that is slightelly misconstrued, I appreciate the advice though, we did not keep the shipping cost, it was a re-stocking charge after the order was cancelled, a very normal thing, We have much respect for all our customers, but we incur bills as well when setting these sales up, we sent him his money back immediatelly after his request, as we would any customer, but I think we would all agree this is not the time or place. Thanks, Joe

arj

I have an Oscar ll same as Osacr 36 with a 20hp Briggs  &  mudsaw. I`ve cut over 50000 bd.ft. with it  (just my hobby) and I like very much. Shure I`d like to have a hyd. mill with all the bells & whistles but that is out of the question. The first thing I did in choosing a mill was to figure out what I wanted it to do. Thought  I`d  be cutting 2000 or 3000 ft a year for myself and maybe custom saw once and awhile,  also have some 34>36" tulip trees I want to cut  someday.  Went to some shows, and visited  some band mills.  I listened alot to what sawers had to say about there mills and what they thought of other brands. The hud-son  would to everthing I needed to do and in the lower price range was the only one I liked that would cut a 36" log. As I said No major problems I did brake the shaft on the idler wheel after 28000ft.  It was  covered under warranty. What ever kind you choose  More HP is better.
                                                                arj

redpowerd

auh contrauh ;D

QuoteHudson is the only small mill with a power feed option.

my mill is prudy cute with a power feed, they call it a kasco
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

twostroke_blood

I just purchased a Hudson mill. Don't hate me ;D. I'm no expert on sawmills but I know quality when i see it. I avoided all that under power stuff by getting the Farm Boss 36H. It has a 23hp v-twin vangaurd motor running the head (no experience with this motor :-\),and an 8hp motor that runs the power pack. The 3x6 box beam trailer seems substantial enough to me considering I'll be loading it myself and not abusing the heck out of it. As for the fact that they don't sponsor here, I will address that with them when I pick the saw up for it's not done yet (had many mods made to it). I can't speak for Hudson but I don't think running them down will encourage their support. I would love to see them support this site. There is no question that you'all are a tremendous resource of info and I will make that point to them when I ask  ;D the general manager at Hudson to log on to the forum with me. Probably the number one factor in deciding on Hudson is the proximity to me, and the number two reason price ,and third quality,and the rest of diminished importance. I'll keep ya'all updated on my new mill.

rvrdivr

I have the Oscar 36/23Hp Vangard that I bought about a year ago. Like others, I chose it because the dealer was close, (5miles) and I only needed it as a hobbist saw, or so I thought.
I will say I have had a lot of trouble with mine but for the most part it works well.  After ten hours I had to replace the guide bearings. I'm sure they may have been covered under warrentee but I paid thirteen dollars a piece for them and just fixed it myself. I think the guides are a little week on my unit having only one small bearing on each side. Really mickey mouse if you ask me  :D I have heard they are improved on the newer units. After twenty hours I replaced them again.
The carriage shaft broke after seventeen hours and ruined a new blade. I was almost at the end of a job cutting beams and really needed to finish.
Thursday, I ordered a new shaft to be shipped over night.
Friday, waited all day for it to come which it never did.
Monday I called to get a tracking number and was told repeatedly the guy I needed to talk to was busy. Needless to say I never got the part or the tracking number that day.
Tuesday, I finally got a tracking number only to find out the part was never sent overnight but UPS ground and wasn't due until Wednesday. I was refunded  for the shipping but now I was without my mill for almost a week.
Wednesday, Waited all day and finally recieved the part at 6:20PM. Another day lost.
My lesson here is, you get what you pay for. I think the Hudson is a great beginner or hobbiest saw.

Brian Stocking
Branford, FL

Russ

I made my own trailer for the oscar 36' with 20ft track. This way
#1.   I don't have to register commercial
# 2.  It is lower to the ground
#3.   I put platform that I can stand on for rolling the log.
       (36"X16' log is heavy to roll at chest height)
My idler shaft broke in half too!
If you weld a second dog on the hold down clamp it will hold the cant staighter when squaring up a cant.  I like the carter guides, they make it so you can make  a wider cut off the same size mill.  I wonder why so many mills have guides that put down presure on the saw blade ?  I had a few things on my mill I thought could be better, They sent me triple registered letter from the president  (loaded for bear!) telling me the things I did to the mill voided the warrenty, and any problems I had with the straight lumber could be corrected by  proper operations.  Hudson services  big logging operations, even though there is alot of profit in these mills most of these customers make guys like us look very small time. I think this mill is a good value, I would order one again, at $50 a foot I'd build my own track and I wouldn't waste any time talking to Hudson. The biggest problem being that every cross member seemed to be from a different lot of steel making them a different height. On a 8 ft log it is no problem , A 1/16 difference made a 1/4 sway in a 16ft board. For $600 the machine shop in my area corrected this. If they just made sure all the steel for a track was the same size or lot there would be no problem. Or just stick to the 8ft model.
The motor, guides , lift and power feed carry there own OEM warrenties.
The lift switch gave me problems, fix being a warren winch switch with a remote solinoid, works good.
Upgraded  broken shafts,  bearings and band wheel tires with american parts .
20hp Vanguard has plenty of power, !
I was ready to buy a debarker at last years logging show but  they wouldn't demo it for me.

I love this mill , really !!!! honest !
the money I saved made it a good value 

Thank You Sponsors!