The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: My attempt at free hand milling  (Read 1945 times)

Offline PC-Urban-Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Been wasting time for sixty-eight years...
    • Share Post
Re: My attempt at free hand milling
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2019, 10:28:15 AM »
oh great, he sucked you into his world.  OMG.  Brandon I told you not to stare at the thread.  i tried to be a "beak"on of hope, but you just had to "wing" it,  he always tries to egg people on, feather you like it or not!  @Southside
Doc, at least he didn't chicken out...

Offline ManjiSann

• Doing more with less because I can't afford more;)
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2019, 09:35:08 AM »
So much fowl language in this thread...  :) :)

Brandon 
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

Offline Nebraska

• I'm new! Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2019, 03:10:26 PM »
See there you justified your hobby, you are now going to have to build a chicken coop for this chicken project. . Your kids can join 4H and show chickens, but you need to obtain mill and process this wood so this can all happen. It can be part of a she shed out back. Everybody in the house wins, you get your stuff, plus chickens, yep win win deal there.  8)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2019, 09:39:30 PM »
Not every chicken is a "chicken".

Here is our town mascot.

This guess that this Guinea Fowl is a real "city slicker" because it roams around pecking at whatever and has earned a spot in the newspaper and on T shirts. ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2019, 01:26:32 AM »
I suggested moving because your city neighbors will not like the combustion engine of the mill.  If you have to stay there, then maybe get an electric mill, much quieter.  I'm switching to electric soon.  I mill inside, so exhaust fumes aren't very desirable.  Less noise is an added bonus.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline ManjiSann

• Share Post
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2019, 08:55:32 AM »
I suggested moving because your city neighbors will not like the combustion engine of the mill.  If you have to stay there, then maybe get an electric mill, much quieter.  I'm switching to electric soon.  I mill inside, so exhaust fumes aren't very desirable.  Less noise is an added bonus.
I've wondered about doing an electric motor. Do you happen to know of a single phase 220 motor that will put out enough horse power to run a bandsaw? For that matter, what is the needed HP?  I don't expect to be doing logs over 24" dia so I'll build the mill to handle 30" as a safety margin. I'll have to look up some of the FF build threads and read up.
@magicman I think I've either read or watched something about that little "chicken!"  Does it really peck at tires and deflate them?

Brandon 

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2019, 09:30:53 AM »
I did a lot of projects on the patios and sidewalks of my apartments going through school.  I always had a skill saw and a router ect.  If you are renting, you may have to adapt to a dryer plug or something, and if you want to mill that wide, will pull a lot of amps, and maybe need 3 phase.  I have read a conversion from gas to electric but do not claim to be an expert so will leave that to others.  I applaud and can remember/relate to your plight.  your situation will most likely require some patience.  I was young once too! 8).  I watched my sawmill for 15 years before I got one.  Good luck with all you do, Just showing up and enthusiasm is a big part of success in life.  you can learn a lot by "making do"  and will appreciate what you attain later even MORE.  I have apologized to my son a few times for his sad situation of being a doctors kid.  he did not have the privilege of doing without as much as most of his friend, and therefore they are better able to do for themselves.  IMHO.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Dakota

• Swing'en in South Dakota
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2019, 10:01:15 AM »
Hello Brandon, we're neighbors.  I live in West Valley City in the winter time.  I'm enjoying your thread.
Dave Rinker

Offline ManjiSann

• Share Post
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2019, 04:31:45 PM »
I did a lot of projects on the patios and sidewalks of my apartments going through school.  I always had a skill saw and a router ect.  If you are renting, you may have to adapt to a dryer plug or something, and if you want to mill that wide, will pull a lot of amps, and maybe need 3 phase.  I have read a conversion from gas to electric but do not claim to be an expert so will leave that to others.  I applaud and can remember/relate to your plight.  your situation will most likely require some patience.  I was young once too! 8).  I watched my sawmill for 15 years before I got one.  Good luck with all you do, Just showing up and enthusiasm is a big part of success in like.  you can learn a lot by "making do"  and will appreciate what you attain later even.  I have apologized to my son a few times for his sad situation of being a doctors kid.  he did not have the privilege of doing without as much as most of his friend, and therefore they are better able to do for themselves.  IMHO.
We own our house so the renting part isn't an issue. The 3 phase part is, unless I buy/build a converter. I'll have to look into all that building a mill will require. I'm handy with electrical (wired my basement including pulling the sub panel and have passed code inspection so I guess I know what I'm doing  ;)) and while I wouldn't classify myself as a welder I can get two pieces of metal to stick and stay together.
My biggest plight is a lack of patience  :D
I agree with learning to make do. Growing up we always had food to eat but not much more so I learned to work for what I want or do without. I think that's also where the "If I make it myself it'll be cheaper" mentality came from. While it's frustrating to have to wait for what I want or do without, I really don't have any complaints about my life. I'm very fortunate to have the skills and abilities I do. 
Brandon 

Offline ManjiSann

• Share Post
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2019, 04:44:55 PM »
Hello Brandon, we're neighbors.  I live in West Valley City in the winter time.  I'm enjoying your thread.
Hey Dakota, glad you're enjoying the thread!
I'm glad to find there's other Utah FF members, was starting to wonder if I was the only one!
Brandon

Offline donbj

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2019, 11:13:47 PM »
 "I have apologized to my son a few times for his sad situation of being a doctors kid.  he did not have the privilege of doing without as much as most of his friend, and therefore they are better able to do for themselves.  IMHO."

I've read a lot of your contributions here on this forum and you stand out as a good man! Your son will take what you are and do with it as he chooses. It all builds a base 
Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2019, 09:32:34 AM »
I am working today, day 3 of 4.  we have the state fair going on past 8 days, always another 10% of patients and we are very busy.  We normally have 2 PAs and one just called in sick.  It is only a 12 hours shift so will power through.  My strength and spirit is increased by the support and kind words!  thanks gents.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline ManjiSann

• Share Post
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2019, 10:07:49 PM »
I am working today, day 3 of 4.  we have the state fair going on past 8 days, always another 10% of patients and we are very busy.  We normally have 2 PAs and one just called in sick.  It is only a 12 hours shift so will power through.  My strength and spirit is increased by the support and kind words!  thanks gents.
Only a 12 hour shift? I've worked 5-12's before, it's not pleasant and I just had to sit in front of a computer and think. Doc you are a superhero!

Offline ManjiSann

• Share Post
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2019, 10:11:46 PM »
Today was a bit of a bummer, several things fell through. I decided I needed some Sawdust Therapy:

Not my best free hand milling job but I felt better after being covered in sawdust  8) 8)

Brandon 

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2019, 10:11:02 AM »
@ManjiSann , All I know is Woodmizer LT15 is available in electric.  It's a 220V 10ph, single phase.  I've heard it works well, plenty of power.  I have an LT15 with a 19HP gas Kohler engine now.  The HP ratings between electric and gas aren't comparable apples to apples apparently. The 10hp electric should have as much cutting ability as my gas engine from what I've heard.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Russian guy free hand milling technique

Started by Brad_bb on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post November 26, 2019, 02:26:06 PM
by Brad_bb
xx
Free hand sharpening.... What do you think?

Started by Dieseltwitch on Chainsaws

16 Replies
Last post June 28, 2016, 10:21:34 AM
by old guy
xx
25ft Span Post Free: Milling My Own Beam Need Help!

Started by jemmy on Timber Framing/Log construction

6 Replies
Last post October 06, 2017, 07:22:09 PM
by Mad Professor
xx
Hand forged hand tools - chisels and slicks, looking for advice.

Started by nebruks on Timber Framing/Log construction

8 Replies
Last post July 07, 2011, 10:03:41 AM
by nebruks