iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which size cant hooks are needed with a hydraulic mill? Hookaroons, too?

Started by KenMac, September 09, 2019, 05:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KenMac

Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

WV Sawmiller

What size logs are you rolling? I use a 60" Logrite. I sometimes also use my Magic Hook made from an old cant hook and a piece of 1/4" chain which I drive into the log and then hook to the movable clamp on my mill. This gives me about 2' of hydraulic assist to roll a log which is often enough to roll the log past the center of balance enough to roll it on to the loading arms. Remember - you can move a small log with an oversized cant hook a lot easier than you can move a big log with an undersized cant hook. And a pair of cant good Logrite cant hooks allows someone else to help you for those big logs. JM2ยข.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

I have a timberking b2000, hydraulic mill.  it came with a logrite cant, that I have never needed, and i just bought a pickaroon from logrite to use for my firewood logs, mostly to pull them down the staging table.  get started and see what you are missing.  i have a skid steer to assist as well, 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Dan_Shade

I like that 60" peavey.  I stick one in the ground at each end of the log pile. 

The 48" is a bit too short for my preference. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

KenMac

Quote from: WDH on September 09, 2019, 08:44:58 PM
60".  You will use it most.
That's kinda what I was thinking. I got a 60" one with my mill from Cook's, but it is very heavy. I think a 60" Logrite and a 30" Hookaroon will help a lot. I'll use the hookaroon to guide boards on the drag back when needed. I really don't have to manhandle logs much, but I do like to have good tools for the job at hand. Do y'all see any reason to get the heavy duty cant hooks or are the standard ones from Logrite strong enough?
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

WV Sawmiller

Get the heavy duty one. Then when you cut a heavy tree on it, it is harder to bend. Don't ask me how I found out. :D 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

btulloh

My vote is for the 60"

On the hookaroon, I like it to be just long enough that the business end is about 2" off the ground when I hold it by my side and let it just hang naturally. That makes it real easy to back hand firewood splits.  Sawmill uses seem to Workout fine at that length. 
HM126

DPatton

The 60" Logrite is what I have and use. I wouldn't want anything less.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Nebraska

This could go under the I did something dumb thread, but...... before.. I bought my mill I bought an off brand wooden handled 48" awkward clunky can't hook.. I admit  it....Don't try and save money,  buy good chainsaws, support equipment etc. 
That being said I've been fairly good this year and I'm hoping Mrs Claus will put a 60 inch logrite under the Christmas tree this winter,  then the clunker will be retired to guest use status. Have fun with the mill best wishes on the adventure..

Banjo picker

All of you bragging on those 60's make me want one, and I have made it fine for over 10 years with two mill specials.  I like the base ball bat handle.  Mine are longer than the one Magic man showed.  They will spin a good sized log.  

Might not have to lean on it so hard with a 60.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Chuck White

I have a 48" LogRite cant hook and a few of the old wooden handled cant hooks and a really old pickaroon!

I've seen a few times when it would have been nice to have a 60" hook.

I really like the LogRite hook, it's just that the handle is a little large for my liking, but it works and works well!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Old Greenhorn

I have two hookeroons, one is short like btulloh mentioned and is used exclusively for firewood wood as Doc said. The other is about 30" and i find it very handy for dragging smaller logs when I am bucking in the woods and also grabbing a log to roll toward me or dragging heavy filtches out of the way.. Useless on big stuff though. I rarely use either around the mill, but I have seen production operations where the tailgunner uses one to get hold of the board to pull it off. I don't like the idea of marking up the wood like that.
 On cant hooks, I think you already have enough opinions to reach a decision. Figure out what you need to do, then get what works best for you.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SawyerTed

I have two 48" cant hooks, one Woodmizer and one Logrite.  I prefer the Logrite because it is lighter.  I wish I'd bought 60" ones to start and I need to add a shorter one for use on the mill to turn ornery cants the hydraulics  don't turn well.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

I have a good (although handle has been customized slightly by a 1600 bf poplar tree as mentioned above) 60" Logrite and an old woodenhandled cant hook that stays at the front of the mill to turn small cants that are faster to turn by hand than with the hydraulics. One of these days I will hit the lottery or otherwise come into some spare cash and I will buy me a 78" Logrite megahook for those big sweepy logs I some times encounter. Then I will be set for life.
Howard Green

Larry

Anything a 60" hook can do, can be done with a 78" Megahook faster, and easier.  It will also roll logs a 60" only dreams about.

I keep a 48" right at my console for help with cranky logs on the mill.  The 60" has an easy life doing very little.  The Megahook gets most of the work.

A little trivia.....I think the Megahook began life as the ASS (Arky Super Stick) named after a past member.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

redbeard

Have needed the 60" Logrite several times adjusting the bigger logs especially when you don't get square arms up quick enough and log role back too loader arms.
The 78" would make life alot easier!
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

Remember that the 48", 60", & 78" all have different sized hooks.  The 48" is designed to handle 8"-32" logs, the 60" is designed to handle 10"-36" logs, and the 78" is designed to handle 15"-45" logs. 

I have tried to roll smaller logs with the 60" and the hook was too long, and I have tried to roll larger logs with the 48" and the hook simple would not open wide enough to bite.  I have no experience with the 78".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I have a mill special (Thanks Mr. Goat), a 60" canthook, and a 78" megahook.  I use the 60" the most, but there are times that I would be up the creek without a paddle (old saying) if I did not have the megahook.  It is essential for those big nasty misshapen logs.  

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dana Stanley

Quote from: Magicman on September 09, 2019, 09:39:35 PM

My vote goes to the 60" first, but don't let it end there.
Do you have any Peaveys or do you only use cant hooks? If so is there a reason you prefer cant hooks. I have a pevy I made, and like it a lot, but it is shorter so I use the 60" cant hook a lot. I wish I had bought the 60" pevy as I could stick it in the ground when not in use. I got the cant hook, because; when I first learned about peaveys and cant hooks, I was told "the cant hook is for around the mill, and a pevy is for in the woods." I do agree the 60" should be first. I know I needed more right away, but I have a manual mill.
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

WDH

The cant hook will not mar the cant as much as a pointed peavey.  On highly valuable wood like walnut, that is important. 

Magicman

I have one old metal handled (non-Logrite) peavey that I always carry and it is used occasionally when something needs prying apart.

Seen here on the bottom.  All of the other stuff is hanging on a nail somewhere.  For the record, that old crooked pipe handled cant hook in the center was one log rolling tool.  ;D

I had peaveys to stick in the ground too many time when I was rolling logs so it's only a cant hook for me for doing real work.  One stays on each end of the sawmill when I am sawing so each of us can readily grab it.    

I have never used a Logrite peavey.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bluejay27

I mostly use the 78" unless it is way too big. I also have a 60" and 30" always with me, as well as two farm jacks. Those have saved my back many times. A chock block also helps so you can roll as far as possible, block, and rehook down low again or reposition the farm jack.

The only problem with the farm jack is it needs a different foot plate that won't slide.

And I have all logrites except one 60" Wood-Mizer. The WM is steel so stronger but heavier. It stays at home because the first day it was on the job, the 60" logrite punched me in the face...
'98 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD42 Super, '08 LT40HDG28, '15 LT70HDD55-RW, '93 Clark GPX25 Forklift, '99 Ford F550

Thank You Sponsors!