The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: Which size cant hooks are needed with a hydraulic mill? Hookaroons, too?  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Dana Stanley

• Full Member x2
  • For fun and profit!
    • Share Post
    • Yankee Wood Signs
Re: Which size cant hooks are needed with a hydraulic mill? Hookaroons, too?
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2019, 08:43:59 PM »

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

My vote goes to the 60" first, but don't let it end there.
Do you have any Peaveys or do you only use cant hooks? If so is there a reason you prefer cant hooks. I have a pevy I made, and like it a lot, but it is shorter so I use the 60" cant hook a lot. I wish I had bought the 60" pevy as I could stick it in the ground when not in use. I got the cant hook, because; when I first learned about peaveys and cant hooks, I was told "the cant hook is for around the mill, and a pevy is for in the woods." I do agree the 60" should be first. I know I needed more right away, but I have a manual mill.
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14"
Matthew 3:10

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2019, 08:46:19 PM »
The cant hook will not mar the cant as much as a pointed peavey.  On highly valuable wood like walnut, that is important. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2019, 08:58:36 PM »
I have one old metal handled (non-Logrite) peavey that I always carry and it is used occasionally when something needs prying apart.

Seen here on the bottom.  All of the other stuff is hanging on a nail somewhere.  For the record, that old crooked pipe handled cant hook in the center was one log rolling tool.  ;D

I had peaveys to stick in the ground too many time when I was rolling logs so it's only a cant hook for me for doing real work.  One stays on each end of the sawmill when I am sawing so each of us can readily grab it.    

I have never used a Logrite peavey.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2019, 02:31:52 PM »
wrong thread.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Bluejay27

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2019, 04:04:44 PM »
I mostly use the 78" unless it is way too big. I also have a 60" and 30" always with me, as well as two farm jacks. Those have saved my back many times. A chock block also helps so you can roll as far as possible, block, and rehook down low again or reposition the farm jack.

The only problem with the farm jack is it needs a different foot plate that won't slide.

And I have all logrites except one 60" Wood-Mizer. The WM is steel so stronger but heavier. It stays at home because the first day it was on the job, the 60" Logrite punched me in the face...
'98 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD42 Super, '08 LT40HDG28, '15 LT70HDD55-RW, '93 Clark GPX25 Forklift, '99 Ford F550

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2019, 08:15:47 PM »
I have the Logrite 60" peavey, stick it in the ground so I can always find and don't have to bend over to pick it up. I have the small mill size canthook which i just bought and really like to flip cants. I have 3 other wooden cant hooks I take with me. I always give the blue 60" peavey to big guys so they do not break my old wooden handle cant hooks
I take a farm jack with me on all portable jobs. It has saved me numurous times.
Next tool to make is the hook and chain so i can pull those logs over with the clamp.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2019, 10:07:43 PM »
I have the Logrite 60" peavey, stick it in the ground so I can always find and don't have to bend over to pick it up.
I made a little something to hold cant hooks.  Takes about 3 strokes of the sledge to set it in the perfect position on a job.  If it saves two steps every time I want a hook, than it saves a lot of steps in a week.

I also have a thing on the mill to hold a cant hook.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Offline Stuart Caruk

• Woodmizer LX450 DieselStationary timber processing
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2019, 12:24:33 AM »
My favorite cant hook now is the spare hook that I bought for a 60" Logrite cant hook. I added 8' of chainwith a grab hook on the end. When a log is to big or awkward to roll even with the double chain turners on my mill, I slam the hook into the log, extend my Skytrak forks and hook the chain to the carriage. Retract the boom, and the log rolls easily. Much less effort. I rarely use a cant hook by hand any more.

Work smarter not harder...
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Size Of Mill Needed

Started by car on Sawmills and Milling

19 Replies
Last post April 23, 2006, 11:57:29 AM
by twoodward15
xx
How many horse power is needed for X size mill?

Started by Modat22 on Sawmills and Milling

2 Replies
Last post November 09, 2005, 07:46:10 PM
by wiam
xx
Hydraulic De-barker motor size?

Started by Cutting Edge on Sawmills and Milling

1 Replies
Last post July 22, 2012, 10:32:03 PM
by Cutting Edge
xx
Milling For Future. Not Sure of Needed Size