The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: 3010 Mule, front diff locking up, HELP?  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
Re: 3010 Mule, front diff locking up, HELP?
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2019, 10:21:31 AM »
I bought mine for the drivetrain. I was planning on building a fast side by side out of it. When I bought it the only thing holding it together was the mud. 

After I saw how cheap parts are and needing the parts either way I decided to put it back together and its been my plow ever since. Amazing how much snow they can and will push.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2019, 10:37:21 AM »
 Amazing how much snow they can and will push.
Oh yeah for sure. I have run chains on all 4 tires for a bit when we had ice and it worked great. I routinely drag 1,000# and up logs with it and the little arch.
 The cost stings a bit, but I am taking advantage of the time and access to fix, clean, paint some other stuff while I am in there, re-grease the winch and put a new line on that too. I had changed out one of the axles last fall when I mis-diagnosed a problem. The old one is still fine, so I might change the other side for new as long as it is out anyway. I am sure I will find some other stuff to fix too. I didn't even think about looking around in there last night. Tonight I'll hit it with a more positive attitude.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) I mill for fun and my mental health. NYLT Certified.

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2019, 10:41:44 AM »
I have been scared to put chains on mine. Since I only have 1 set of brand new very aggressive v bar chains they would go on the front. I am concerned the axle will not hold up to the extra load being applied.

I do need to replace the front springs to. When I lift the plow the front stops sinking when the plow frame hits the ground.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2019, 10:48:05 AM »
I have been scared to put chains on mine. Since I only have 1 set of brand new very aggressive v bar chains they would go on the front. I am concerned the axle will not hold up to the extra load being applied.

I do need to replace the front springs to. When I lift the plow the front stops sinking when the plow frame hits the ground.
Yeah, that is something I need to do also. The cab weight really loads the front, then the plow too. They make a 'heavy duty' set for mine, but not sure if that will help enough. They ain't cheap either.
 I had no problem with the chains, alothough I did wrap one once and it tore out the brake cable. You gotta watch 'em and don't use them on blacktop unless there is ice.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) I mill for fun and my mental health. NYLT Certified.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2019, 10:59:58 AM »
may be worthwhile to try then. its not often I need them but may make it so I can plow uphill more often/.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2019, 11:22:48 AM »
may be worthwhile to try then. its not often I need them but may make it so I can plow uphill more often/.
I don't plan on chaining the fronts again. Too much hassle with steering etc. But then you never know. If we get an ice storm..... but that is very rare here, bad ones anyway.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2019, 11:25:44 AM »
I have 2 spots on my driveway that are the steepest spots that get just enough sun to cause ice. But 4wd usually works fine. Just have to pay attnetion to my tires and make sure I don't lose a bead. Not that I have ever done that before....

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2019, 09:41:16 PM »
Well, the hits just keep on comin'! I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I couldn't get the front yoke off the differential and left the driveshaft hanging. I had that task for tonight. I dis-assembled the carrier bearing in situ, it came apart like it was just made last week. Clean as a whistle, nothing stuck, took 3 minutes. Then the whole shaft came right out. Now I just had to get the yoke to slide off. HAH! I beat, cursed, hammered...nada. So I took the u-joint out, it too is clean as a whistle on the inside. Now I had a straight shot to drive the spline out of the yoke. It's tough to hold, but I got in some good whacks with a 2 pound lump hammer and not a budge of movement. Any more force, and I am going to be damaging stuff.
 SO, given my timeline and not wanting to have to wait for parts beyond Monday, I ordered a yoke and U-joint. It's only money, right? >:(
 Oh, and the lawn tractor got some attention. I had to pull out the battery and shelf to get at the solenoid. It tested bad. SO I need a new one. Will pick it up tomorrow if I can make time. Then at least I will have something to fill my evening tomorrow. And if I get it fixed and get the lawn finished, I can start working on the winch to get those nuts welded in so I don't have to go through that nightmare again.  :D
Geez.

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2019, 10:10:54 PM »
I thought I had a lot of stuff breaking lately, but you’ve got me beat by a mile.  :D
HM126

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2019, 10:23:29 PM »
So why don't I feel like a winner?  :D ;D
 I have been through much worse. Like busted plows and snowblowers as I watch the second foot of snow hit the ground. One winter I broke and fixed 3 tractors and 2 snowblowers repeatedly through the winter until by spring they were all hopelessly broken. It didn't matter because we had so much snow that I needed a loader to come in and move it to make room. My john Deere had a piece of the block casting broken off that held the coil on. Half of the stuff got fixed through the summer, the other half got sold or junked. I still find a bolt now and then from one of those machines.
 It could always be worse, and sometimes it has. This isn't bad, just expensive, and my time is more valuable to me now that I am older.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2019, 08:43:19 PM »
Just so it doesn't sound Like I am all doom and gloom and broken gear, today was better. I picked up a solenoid today and when I got home found that one of my son's men had mowed my front lawn because he heard my mower was broke. :) I put the solenoid in and everything worked fine. I ran around the back yard to break up all the clumps from Sunday's heavy mowing. It worked good and I put it back in the shed. 
 Then I got a few minutes in on getting things cleaned and ready for re-assembly. That winch was a pain to get out because the nuts inside kept slipping, so I cleaned the side plates and put bolts in to hold the nuts in place. My buddy down the road has a MIG and he just picked them up to tack the nuts on so I never have that problem again. I should get them back in a few days. The winch gets annual service and a new line, so I am looking forward to this going easier in the future. tomorrow I will get the rest of the winch ready with a new line wound on it. After that, just some cleaning and maybe some paint here and there to cover the rust spots. I have to wait until parts show up, and nothing is due until Friday at the earliest. The differential is due on Monday, but I have no tracking number. If I know my luck I won't have what I need until next Thursday. ;D I am just hoping it all shows up, fits, and actually works. I suck at waiting and am looking for things to fill the time. I guess more cleaning, greasing, and painting.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2019, 07:56:07 AM »
You need something to pass time I have a big pile of logs needing milling :)

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2019, 08:21:05 AM »
You need something to pass time I have a big pile of logs needing milling :)
Thanks, I appreciate the offer. Truth is, if I could get down to the mill for work, I would be doing my own logs (see another thread), but with the mule down, that becomes very problematic.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2019, 08:26:59 AM »
I have a UTV :) 

I usually use the kubota though.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2019, 08:28:06 AM »
Its nice to have options, right now, mine are short.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2019, 08:52:17 PM »
FFoTS Pm'd me a Mule question tonight and I just realized I never closed this thread out properly. I probably did it on another thread. I got the second differential eventually. It took me a solid day of worked to get everything back together and it works well. The new tires, even though they are the same label size, are in fact over 2 inches bigger and I get a tiny bit of rubbing on the fronts when I steer or hit a bump. It's not bad, just happens sometimes.
 All in all doing good. I only use 4WD when I need it now. :D

Offline firefighter ontheside

• I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2019, 08:01:56 PM »
I’ve just been reading this thread.  Some good info.  I’m watching the cardinals whoop up on the braves.  When I get off work tomorrow morning I’ll go pick up my mule.  I can’t help but think of the movie “Romancing the stone” and the guy with his “little mule....Pepe”.  I may have to name mine Pepe’.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2019, 08:12:14 PM »
Ah, the adventure begins! Good luck!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: 3010 Mule, front diff locking up, HELP?

Started by chet on General Board

0 Replies
Last post September 09, 2019, 09:58:49 PM
by chet
xx
540B front diff. Hoses.

Started by Skiddersally on Forestry and Logging

4 Replies
Last post February 24, 2014, 07:53:57 PM
by Nemologger
xx
John Deere 440 skidder front and back diff full of hydraulic oil