The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: Took my mill to the flea market  (Read 1697 times)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: Took my mill to the flea market
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2019, 09:10:17 AM »
   I figured they were in every state in some form or fashion.They can be very profitable and fun. You can find good deals at them (and you can find real junk) but you need to know what you are looking at. A common trend showing around here is a sort of indoor flea market where the owner takes a big old empty building and divides it into booths and rents them. The seller sets up their own display and marks their wares and the owner of the market sells them and takes a commission (I think) for selling and sends the balance to the seller. Sometimes these places will accept items for sale on consignment. I know there is a TV program called Flea Market flip where they have a contest and contestants buy items and repurpose them into something else then sell them with the one with the most profit winning. 

The outdoor Flea Markets here often have people selling bringing in big items like mowers and farm equipment and such. Gun and knives are big sellers around here with people often trading them for others. Some people make various crafts, some pretty tacky IMHO, but people buy them. Our flea markets are the place to go find tool handles and such as there are vendors with every handle imaginable. The large numbers of varied sellers attracts customers and sight-seers. BTW - dickering is almost mandatory and prices are always negotiable with trades entertained. :D It is real common for many of us to go to sell at a Flea market and come home with more than we left with.

The atmosphere around our flea markets here encourages the kind of people who are often interested in buying rough wood and wood products or having their logs sawed into lumber. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2019, 05:03:02 PM »
TT,

Don't know how they run flea markets in your area and I assume we are not talking about yard sales which are usually single or multiple families setting up at their home. Our flea markets are open air affairs in a big lot with plenty of parking. Many vendors have canopies they set up mostly for shade. If it rains most folks leave or just don't bother to come set up. Many more permanent vendors have box type trailer or trucks and often rent the same spot all summer. Others just assemble their crafts or clean out their garages and bring them to the flea market for better visibility. The flea market owners charge a fee -around here it is typically $10-$15 for a spot big enough for truck and/or a truck and trailer. Some flea markets charge a fee for shoppers to come visit, others just charge the sellers.

Two weeks ago I went with my son to the town of Hillsville VA to a huge semi-annual flea market they have there on Memorial Day and Labor Day weekend. The town charges a permit fee of $35 or more based on the lot size to every vendor and there are thousands of vendors set up in multiple lots. The town makes a fortune on vendors coming from 4-5 states (Maybe more - I talked with one vendor I had seen there before who comes up from Ala) and from parking, etc. My son goes down and buys and sells guns and gun parts, military memorabilia, etc. My granddaughter goes down for a caramel apple, funnel cakes, donuts and chicken on a stick. :D I look at tools and look for ideas on wood products. I bought a factory Remington rifle case from a lady for $1 and five minutes later a gun dealer offered me $20 for it but I kept it as it fits my deer rifle. I found one guy selling Adirondack style chairs made from contractor wheelbarrow tubs. Not my thing but he had about sold out when I met him (I found his sister is from our town and had made my door signs for me recently - small world.)

Anyway, most of our flea markets have no problem allowing someone to bring a sawmill or similar piece of equipment to show off and the local crowd is a very good target audience for my kind of mobile sawing services.
Thanks for the explanation. In my travels Ive seen these. Probably some in my state but not that I remember. Probably more common some places than others.
I am so smart with Google as my brain! https://www.connecticutmag.com/style-design/best-flea-markets-in-connecticut-for-rare-finds-great-bargains/article_cdb6b553-0cad-55ba-9850-61177b344928.html
Thanks for that. All are 1-2 hr away but one.  Looks like something to go to for entertainment sometime and to find out more.  
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide,  Logrite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2019, 08:49:31 PM »
TT,

This may be a sign your area is open for a new high class Flea market and this is your opportunity to size the moment. I see a career change in to works here. Good luck and if you get rich send 5% to Jeff and half the rest to me. :D :D :D 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2019, 11:25:02 PM »
Youre scaring my cat. 🙀
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide,  Logrite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2019, 11:09:49 AM »
   What does that mean? He won't listen to you? I've got news - he didn't listen to you before. My vet had a sign in her office "Dogs come when called. Cats say Leave a Message."

I can see it now "Grand opening of the Mystic Connecticut Scardy Cat Flea Market. Come one - come all. Shop, sell and sightsee. Bring money."
Howard Green

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
You never know what you will see at a flea market!

Started by redbeard on General Board

2 Replies
Last post February 25, 2012, 05:30:49 PM
by POSTON WIDEHEAD
xx
Flea Market Find

Started by lowpolyjoe on General Woodworking

30 Replies
Last post January 07, 2016, 02:32:21 PM
by lowpolyjoe
xx
Flea-Market Find

Started by FayettesFinest on Chainsaws

13 Replies
Last post September 14, 2015, 11:47:44 PM
by FayettesFinest
xx
Flea Market Treats

Started by Magicman on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

3 Replies
Last post October 12, 2012, 08:02:57 AM
by Magicman