The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: An Alaskan style problem  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Arcticmiller

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
An Alaskan style problem
« on: September 11, 2019, 10:15:03 PM »
Hey folks, I am pretty new to the forums here and not 100 % sure I am in the right forum, but here we go.

I am not a logger, my dad and uncles all logged, but the industry died out before I came of age. I grew up handling lots of firewood, in the backwoods areas keeping out home warm in northeastern Washington so handling decently large timber isnít foreign to me, but all manually is...

I am now living in Alaska, off the road system in a bush village, and bought a sawmill. We have a river to float logs down, a boat(21í Scott Hudsonís bay freighter canoe) to tug/direct them with, and my saw and back to get them dropped and moved into the water. If you are in AK you have to build a cabin right?

I need advice on how to move 16í white spruce logs-no more than 20-24Ē but green and heavy. Funny thing is thatís a huge tree for here above the Arctic circle, I grew up knocking down 36-60Ē standing dead timber...but with that we would block it and split before it went in the truck....Everything has to be handled by hand. Til I get to the gravel bar closest to a local village road. I am thinking a capstan winch to get them to the water, and am building up a log arch to handle them from the docking spot to the mill. 

On the home end I have a truck etc and can move things around with that.

Any ideas on how to do this and not hurt myself? Books, methods, etc. I should mention I am not a top notch feller, but have had quite a bit of practice putting up 7-10 cord a year. Itís not foreign to me.

I appreciate any input folks may have.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
Re: An Alaskan style problem
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 10:38:01 PM »
One method is "walking the dog". Lash 2 poles together and drop a line from that. With a leg of that on each side of the log tip it off plumb several inches and tie it to the log just forward of center. Push the poles forward and they will lift the log up a couple of inches and slide it forward. Splay the legs and replant them forward and push forward again.
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Offline luap

• Full Member x2
  • Not as good as I once was
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 10:40:21 AM »
One method is "walking the dog". Lash 2 poles together and drop a line from that. With a leg of that on each side of the log tip it off plumb several inches and tie it to the log just forward of center. Push the poles forward and they will lift the log up a couple of inches and slide it forward. Splay the legs and replant them forward and push forward again.
If you watch youtuber "Out sider cabin build", He demonstrates this method. His looks like an "A" frame ladder  with crossmembers to keep the legs spread and used  as described.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 07:51:15 PM »
The same way one man moves a shed.  On rollers.  

Pvc pipe stubs will do it and theyre light weight for handling or hiking out to the bush.  Use a cant hook to roll/steer and a good spade or shovel with a pipe handle for levering off the ground to propel the log.   Few light dunnage blocks with a slash cut to ramp the log up onto the rollers or to lever it up, crib it up, whatever.  

A draft animal wouldnt hurt. If you cant get that, rig up a block and tackle for a rope pulling system lashed off neighboring trees.  
Revelation 3:20

Offline Arcticmiller

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 12:04:12 PM »
Thanks for the info folks. Its giving me some ideas to think on. I am also considering building with 8' logs that I three side on the mill so I can actually handle them solo...which is an option too I guess. I much prefer full length logs tho.

Offline firefighter ontheside

• I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 09:58:17 PM »
The capstan alone might struggle, but add a roller or two like mike suggested and you might get somewhere.  It could just be some pieces from the top of the tree used as rollers.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 10:51:11 PM »
A good book, "The craft of modular post and beam" James Mitchell. He builds with shorter logs between vertical posts, pretty neat system and easier for one or two people.

But simple machines do work :)

A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 10:59:45 PM »
I think you have the right idea, but I would combine the two.  I would build or buy a simple hand pulled log arch and if I could not walk them out, Iíd use the 1500 lb capstan to pull them out on the arch.

HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
I have a problem problem starting Stihl ms290 chainsaw

Started by bardos on Chainsaws

3 Replies
Last post May 07, 2015, 08:42:26 AM
by GAB
xx
Those of you with Alaskan Mills

Started by twoodward15 on Sawmills and Milling

34 Replies
Last post August 16, 2005, 12:52:21 AM
by DanG