The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: What to charge for 1/2” pine  (Read 647 times)

Offline Madtrapper01

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
What to charge for 1/2” pine
« on: September 16, 2019, 02:21:29 PM »
So I normally sell pine by the board foot at .80 cents a bf. Today I received an order for 12” or wider pine but only 1/2” thick. Selling this by the bf is just more work for the same money so I’m curious how others charge for something like this?
Thanks

Offline Southside

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
Re: What to charge for 1/2” pine
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 02:59:26 PM »
I would be at $0.64/square foot on that and explain to the customer the downside of something that wide and thin. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline Sixacresand

• Senior Member x2
  • John and Nancy
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 03:01:53 PM »
For anything under one inch, I charge as if it was one inch.  One person argued that  sawing 2 inch (vs 1 inch) should be cheaper.  Yeah, it less passes with the mill, but it is twice the weight to stack.  To me, a big concern,  if you re working by yourself. 

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 06:00:49 PM »
   I'm with 6acres. When sawing I charge by the bf and tell the customer anything less than an inch is treated as it were a full inch and a square foot is treated as a bf. I'd use the same policy for selling.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 08:12:04 PM »
Requests for thin wood make my antennae go up.  Happy to give what the customer wants but like to make sure expectations are met.  In my experience (portable sawing) someone asking for thin rough sawn lumber is usually naive about behavior of wood.   Thinks for example all that happens when wood dries is that it shrinks in thickness just a little. 

So I ask what it is going to be used for and take it from there.  Just making sure there isn't disappointment on their end. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide,  Logrite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 08:26:42 PM »
   Good point about determining the final use plans. Customers often have no idea about wood qualities and idiosyncrasies.

I had a friend ask for a 1/2" live edge board for a Lichtenberg burning/engraving project so I cut him one Saturday but cut the one next to it a full 1" and took him both of them Sunday and advised him to be sure to get them stickered soon and keep weight on them to help prevent that thin one from curling/cupping on him.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Madtrapper01

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 07:28:42 AM »
Thanks for the replies and insight!
I’m going to be sure to let the customer know of the downsides of using thin wide boards and I will charge by the square foot instead of bf. I think that’s the only way that I can come ahead sawing this.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter