The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: Lots of ~30-35" x 80-100' Quaking Aspen, what to do with it?  (Read 1504 times)

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Lots of ~30-35" x 80-100' Quaking Aspen, what to do with it?
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2019, 12:09:19 PM »
Kiamori, what town are you near?
Too many irons in the fire

Offline kiamori

• Live to love, love to live.
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2019, 07:53:48 PM »
Have you ever talked to a mill about buying logs?
  Are you looking to take down 100 aspen like this or 1000?
Just be safe, I don't see you in chaps, it is a simple low cost way to dramatically reduce your risk.  
Have not talked to a mill, not really a good way to get the full logs off the property, we do have an old logging road that runs along the back side of the property but it hasn't been maintained in 50 years i think. The main private road is about 1.5 miles of curvey, hilly gravel.

Likely about 150ish of these larger aspen scattered across the property.

The person in the photo is my wife, she was out helping me clear the trails. I do have chaps :) although i dont always wear them. Depends on which saw I'm using. Ive been using this dewalt 60v because it cuts about as fast as the gas saw i have and its a lot better, no fumes, instant on off, just toss batteries on the charger at the end of the day. Battery tech has come a long way.
Kiamori, what town are you near?
I'm about an hour north of Grand Rapids.

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2019, 04:09:47 PM »
What Barbender said concerning aspen management. If young are in an aspen ecosystem of Quaking or Big Tooth Aspen and it has reached 60 + years of age, it should be harvested while it is commercially viable for sawlogs and pulpwood.

Leaving it longer that that to "old age" will often cause it to develop "white rot" and then not be very marketable. Aspen is usually short lived and usually has good local pulpwood and sawlog markets for that reason, but it needs to be harvested while it is still sound and viable.

Clearcutting is usually the preferred sylvicultural method of harvesting aspen for rapid regeneration. It is an intolerant species and needs sunlight to regenerate which is usually soon and heavy on a good site.

An aspen site can be converted to another species such as red pine by heavy herbicide use and extensive soil manipulations, but it is usually not recommended where aspen is the dominant species.

Aspen is managed for its wildlife benefits along with it sawtimber and pulpwood values. It's always good to seek out the services of a local professional forester to evaluate your specific site.
~Ron

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2019, 05:44:29 PM »
So near Effie, perhaps? That's where we cut the one stand of really exceptional aspen. The Highway 1 corridor from Togo over past Northome has some of the finest aspen anywhere.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2019, 05:59:34 PM »
Yes, beautiful country.  PatD and I took the route across that portion of MN from Ely through Effie to Lake Itasca several years ago.  move_it
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline kiamori

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2019, 06:40:04 PM »
What Barbender said concerning aspen management. If young are in an aspen ecosystem of Quaking or Big Tooth Aspen and it has reached 60 + years of age, it should be harvested while it is commercially viable for sawlogs and pulpwood.

Leaving it longer that that to "old age" will often cause it to develop "white rot" and then not be very marketable. Aspen is usually short lived and usually has good local pulpwood and sawlog markets for that reason, but it needs to be harvested while it is still sound and viable.

Clearcutting is usually the preferred sylvicultural method of harvesting aspen for rapid regeneration. It is an intolerant species and needs sunlight to regenerate which is usually soon and heavy on a good site.

An aspen site can be converted to another species such as red pine by heavy herbicide use and extensive soil manipulations, but it is usually not recommended where aspen is the dominant species.

Aspen is managed for its wildlife benefits along with it sawtimber and pulpwood values. It's always good to seek out the services of a local professional forester to evaluate your specific site.
We have a very healthy mix of trees. In order of trees I would say its something like; Maple, Birch, Spruce, Aspen, Pine(red/white), Oak, Ash, Basswood, Willow, a very few Cedar and a few random ones that I might be missing. The old land surveys show hemlock but I haven't seen any on the property so that would be the last time it was likely cut, sometime back in the 20's I would guess.

So near Effie, perhaps? That's where we cut the one stand of really exceptional aspen. The Highway 1 corridor from Togo over past Northome has some of the finest aspen anywhere.
About a half hour s.west of Effie.

Yes, beautiful country.  PatD and I took the route across that portion of MN from Ely through Effie to Lake Itasca several years ago.  move_it
Its amazing country here, can't imagine living anywhere else. The winters are just gorgeous if you don't mind lots of snow.

Here is another photo of some of the Aspen and some smaller maples,

one of the larger white pine,

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2019, 07:08:02 PM »
@kiamori Sounds like you may benefit from a small harvest.  150 of those aspen, maybe the rest of them as well since even the smaller ones are likely the same age and ready (age wise) for harvest.  If a good logger with a forwarder could harvest that in winter it might be possible to dramatically reduce the amount of trails needed?  @Barbender would know better than I, sounds like he is close by.
Liking Walnut

Offline kiamori

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2019, 07:34:24 PM »
@kiamori Sounds like you may benefit from a small harvest.  150 of those aspen, maybe the rest of them as well since even the smaller ones are likely the same age and ready (age wise) for harvest.  If a good logger with a forwarder could harvest that in winter it might be possible to dramatically reduce the amount of trails needed?  @Barbender would know better than I, sounds like he is close by.
It sure would be nice to get rid of all of the aspen but I'm also not sure I really want heavy equipment on this property since we have maple lines up everywhere and most of the property is quite hilly so it might be more trouble than its worth as well. 

For now I've just been working on taking down the ones that need direction as not to hit any of the good sugar and black maples. I had planned to get more done on the property but got too busy with my businesses this year.

Offline Clark

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2019, 11:02:50 PM »
Kiamori - Iíve cruised a lot of timber in that neck of the woods and it is easily the most underrated corner of the state. Some nice rolling hills, lakes everywhere and beautiful hardwoods. Iíve measured more basswood over 100í tall in the Wirt area than I have any other tree species anywhere else in the state.

I would guess your land was not touched by Potlatch because it was hardwoods. Ask most foresters in northern MN how to best manage hardwoods and theyíll either scratch their heads or give some wise-crack about how itís not worth growing. Of course, both responses are wrong!

You have a site that is very productive and it is likely making the transition from an aspen and birch dominated forest to one with more maple, basswood and possibly red oak. Selectively cutting aspen to allow those trees to grow better is a great course of action. Whether you utilize the aspen or leave them lay is your choice. 

If youíre full of energy you could cut them yourself and possibly skid them to a landing. Whether or not the mills would accept wood cut by the uninsured landowner is something you should find out first.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2019, 06:23:08 AM »
Here in Maine,on my land,I could cut all I want with no insurance. But this was back 20 years ago too. I do have to contact the state to get an Intent to log number. Need that for the paper mills and sawmills. A very simple form needs to be filled out each year.
If you have trees that big,it takes a good size something to get them out.
I had a lot of big eastern white pine,36 inches was no big deal. Don't haul out too many 16 footers that size that are 16 feet long with a 40hp tractor. Those had to be cut 10 feet long. Need to get specs form a sawmill. Than too those big ones need some room to fall. We use to cut a "road" for those big pines to fall into. That would open up the forest when we cut a big pine. Took a while to clean up a place for the trees to fall into.
And than you have to stick with logging. Meaning you can't cut one tree than jump in the car and go visit friends and do fun things with the wife. That is really why I stopped logging on my land. I work,40 hours a week,than cut wood. The wife could not understand the part about the mills wants fresh logs and pulp too. Can't have the logs sitting around for a month while we are going places.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2019, 06:37:21 AM »
So you are tapping with low pressure vac lines?  That would slow up some logging  :D.  Well you're in a great spot and I appreciate you sharing some of pictures of your forest, looks wonderful.  How many acres?

@Clark that is the same response foresters give around Northern VA, they tell people to replant in pine (which has almost a 0 NPV if you map out trends).  

@kiamori Have you seen the maple syrup section here, I like to read it but more for "I wish I had maples" than something I can actually do (we only have a few scattered sugar maples, red maple is more common).  Nice group, lots of pics.  
Liking Walnut

Offline kiamori

• Share Post
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2019, 07:09:22 AM »
Kiamori - Iíve cruised a lot of timber in that neck of the woods and it is easily the most underrated corner of the state. Some nice rolling hills, lakes everywhere and beautiful hardwoods. Iíve measured more basswood over 100í tall in the Wirt area than I have any other tree species anywhere else in the state.

I would guess your land was not touched by Potlatch because it was hardwoods. Ask most foresters in northern MN how to best manage hardwoods and theyíll either scratch their heads or give some wise-crack about how itís not worth growing. Of course, both responses are wrong!

You have a site that is very productive and it is likely making the transition from an aspen and birch dominated forest to one with more maple, basswood and possibly red oak. Selectively cutting aspen to allow those trees to grow better is a great course of action. Whether you utilize the aspen or leave them lay is your choice.

If youíre full of energy you could cut them yourself and possibly skid them to a landing. Whether or not the mills would accept wood cut by the uninsured landowner is something you should find out first.

Clark
We've been replacing the aspen with fruit trees and black walnut mostly. My SW48 plow works decent as a tree fetcher, it has no problems pulling 20' x 40" out of the woods.. Nice and compact tracked vehicle with lots of power, I just have to be careful around the hills.
So you are tapping with low pressure vac lines?  That would slow up some logging  :D.  Well you're in a great spot and I appreciate you sharing some of pictures of your forest, looks wonderful.  How many acres?
We have enough decent on most of the runs to do full gravity feed via 3/16 but next year we may add some vacuum to get some of the currently untapped trees. This year we did 375 taps and we'll likely add another 100 or so in 2020.

Offline ethanbrush

• Share Post
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2019, 08:58:45 AM »
I have big tooth aspen here and when one blows over, as they do often, I cant resist cutting it.  Hate to see it go to waste.  I have 1500 board feet already, cutting it into 1" boards, not sure what I will do with it.  I might paint it white and do some of the walls of the house with it instead of drywall.  The clear stuff is real nice, although seems like i get very little of that. Hopefully it wont be a waste of time. They dont get very big here, 18" is a pretty big, although I have a handful of 24's. its a miracle those haven't blown over yet.
Timber Harvester 30HTD25
Stihl 075 w/ Sperber 36" CSM
Husky 550XP
Uniforest 45M
New Holland TC-45

Online 47sawdust

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2019, 06:39:06 AM »
A fellow in Brooks Maine makes ladders for apple orchards from big tooth aspen,probably good crate wood as well.
What is this SW48 you mention?
Beautiful property and welcome to the forum.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Quaking Aspen

Started by Mikeysmill on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post March 04, 2006, 09:50:51 AM
by logwalker
xx
Quaking Aspen

Started by GAV64 on Sawmills and Milling

8 Replies
Last post October 03, 2003, 11:19:29 AM
by ronwood