iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer blade

Started by Hayseed, September 27, 2019, 02:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayseed

Has anyone tried the new woodmizer 747 blade. Suppose to be a good all around blade. According to the woodmizer sales guy. I am looking to cut white oak on my lt40 with 28hp gas engine

WV Sawmiller

Never heard of them. Let me know how how they work out.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

John S

I was told about them coming to the market but did not know that they were available now.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

Sound like super turbos to me. 7 degree and 49 back angle. Just heard about them the other day. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

kkennedy64

They are not on the WoodMizer website yet.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG26

PAmizerman

They are on the website now. 
I run 1¼ blades but the only 1¼ they offer are .042 thick. I've been running .055.
Y'all think .042 gonna give me trouble on hemlock knots?
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

YellowHammer

I think .042 will give you trouble in chocolate chip ice cream if you are having a snack attack and sawing fast. :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Is it me or did the prices go up quite a bit?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DWyatt

I spoke with a lady at the Paul Bunyan Show this weekend about the 747 blades. From what she explained, they will be very similar to the Turbo 7 Blades. They have had so many small motor mills like mine (25hp gas) running the Turbo 7 blades and like me when they get into a real wide cut they start to be horsepower limited. At 20" wide in soft maple, I could not keep the band moving fast enough through the cut and was getting the "ripples" of that are normal when cutting too slow with the T7. These new bands are supposed to remedy that problem and allow smaller HP mills to keep the feed speed where the band likes to be. 

This was my take away anyways, take it with a grain of salt as there was a lot going on at the show.

DbltreeBelgians

I talked with a guy from WoodMizer on Friday about that blade that was on the Lt70 wide at the show and I noticed the cant on the mill had the ripples for the first few feet then it was flat and smooth after that. He explained to me that the 747 would do the ripples if feed speed was slow and once the feed speed was increased to the sweet spot so to speak it cut flat and smooth. So as DWyatt mentioned "take it with a grain of salt ". 

Brent 

123maxbars

I got a box of them last week, .055 thickness. I plan on trying one out this week on a good size walnut log.
I will report back here with a video on it as soon as I get it on the 40. Should be by end of the week if not sooner, 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

PAmizerman

@123maxbars can you get .055 in 1¼ wide? How wide of bands are you running?
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

123maxbars

Quote from: PAmizerman on October 09, 2019, 07:02:05 AM
@123maxbars can you get .055 in 1¼ wide? How wide of bands are you running?
I think they offer the .055 in 1 1/2 and 1/1/4
I am running the 171in wide head blades @ 1/1/4, after talking with @YellowHammer a few 
months  back before I got my new mill I decided to go with 
055 on everything, best blade decision ever, that Alabama fan sure knows his stuff  :D
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

YellowHammer

In my experience, whatever a .045" will do, a .055" will do better, at the slight sacrifice of increased fatigue failure.  An .055 will let you use all the engine power you paid for, will let you cut faster and flatter, but won't last as long on 19" diameter wheels.

Roll Tide!!
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Bruno of NH

Do they make a .055 in 1 1/4 
If so I would like some for wide cuts.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

terrifictimbersllc

158" 1-1/4 055 blades in 4, 7, 9, 10, 7 turbo are presently listed on the Wood-Mizer website. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

petefrom bearswamp

I have used .055 and .042 in many configurations but last used the 7 turbos.
They work fine but nothing will not climb hemlock kots
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Crusarius

I just be happy if I could figure out how to cut spruce without waves.

Bruno of NH

4° band on the spruce or turbo 7°
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Crusarius

Last time I was using turbo 7. Did good most of the way then I noticed the waves. Not sure if they were there before I noticed them. Probably.

Guess I will try 4 degree next.

Bruno of NH

The best for spruce is the 4°
Imo 

ladylake

Yes  4° , heavy set,  shallow gullet cuts spruce the straightest.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Crusarius

hmm. may have to make my setter sooner than I thought. I was under the impression 10 degree was best for soft stuff.

Bruno of NH

10° 0nly work for me when there are few knots

Thank You Sponsors!