The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Woodmizer blade  (Read 3568 times)

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Woodmizer blade
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2019, 08:10:21 PM »
I won't 
I learned my lesson on a 4 band last week.
Left it it on to long and broke my first band ever.
Ran it to long.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls Riehl Steel edger,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Online YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2019, 08:52:27 PM »
On a 19 inch band wheel (LT-40) I would get between 1 and max 3 sharpening before they broke.  I switched totally to .055 some time ago.  I would have couple B-57's for spares in case a broken band cut one up.   

On my LT-70 I'm on my 4rth sharpening round on some.

Other than blade life, as I mentioned, anything an .045 would do, an .055 can do better.  Flatter, faster, straighter.  However, at the sacrifice of flex life.  For me, it was well worth it.

HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2019, 09:09:49 PM »
I got 2-3 resharpens on .055 Turbo 7 blades.  I also witnessed two sawyers, one with an LT50 and the other with an LT40 break new .055 Turbo 7 blades that never had a chance to be resharpened, not once.  I did not check their sharpness (dullness). 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline PAmizerman

• Just Another Day In Paradise!!
    • Share Post
    • Byrne Millwork
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2019, 09:26:07 PM »
Even if they are still cutting flat, don't be fooled and run them dull.
Agree. They will snap really quick if they are run dull. 
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
byrnemillwork.com
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Offline ncsawyer

• Share Post
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2019, 09:44:29 PM »
I ran 9 blades on just about everything on my old 18HP LT40 and had good results.  With the low HP, the feed rate had to be slowed down on big logs and wide cuts.  

On my diesel LT40 I started out with 7 .042 blades and was not satisfied at all.  Even in pine it would wave all over the place, especially short leaf pine. I changed to 4 .055.  blades and they cut much better, but noticeably slower.  But even with these blades I regularly run into some difficult sawing, especially in white oak and of course hickory and big short leaf pine can be difficult to get to saw straight even with a brand new blade.  

I have some 30 inch white and red oak to saw in the next week or so and am thinking about trying the new 747 .055.  I am not worried about the red oak, but would like to find a blade that would cut white oak more consistently.

2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2019, 07:23:42 AM »
I'm the odd guy I run the 55 till they wave then put on a sharp one. I grind-heavy. 
I get 4 or 5 sharpenings out of them. By that time the hard part of the tooth is gone, then I junk them. I don't wait for them to break first. I tighten the blade till I can't turn the handle anymore. ;D

I don't baby my blades at all. ;D 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2019, 12:55:48 PM »
This 747 band is working great for me.
Milled some old dry ash logs I have had for a year.Before that they sat at a concentration yard for a year.
I had trouble milling these logs before with other bands.
747 went like a hot knife in butter.
They stay sharp. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls Riehl Steel edger,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline PAmizerman

• Just Another Day In Paradise!!
    • Share Post
    • Byrne Millwork
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2019, 08:13:03 PM »
I just ordered a box!!
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
byrnemillwork.com
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Offline jeepcj779

• "Watch this" - Famous last words
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2019, 12:01:00 AM »
Most seem to be of the opinion that .55 blades cut better than .45 blades. What about 1.25 vs 1.5 in wide? What benefits does the wider blade have? 

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2019, 08:02:37 AM »
In my limited experience, I gained more performance from thicker .055" blades than the wider 1.5". However, they only lasted 2-3 sharpenings.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2019, 09:18:04 AM »
Most seem to be of the opinion that .55 blades cut better than .45 blades. What about 1.25 vs 1.5 in wide? What benefits does the wider blade have?
My experience has been the 1.5 blades can be pushed a little harder than the 1.25 blades. The 1.5 blades are more sensitive to proper blade alignment...Just my observation over the years. Your results may vary....heh....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Online YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2019, 11:38:45 AM »
 smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline jeepcj779

• Share Post
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2019, 06:24:57 PM »
YellowHammer mentioned earlier in the thread that he tried, but didn't like the .55's on an LT 40 because of the extra wear and tear as compared to the .45's (even though they cut better), but that they seemed fine on his LT70. He also said anything a .45 can do, a .55 can do better. For those of you who have experience with both .45 and .55 blades on different platforms, is the performance increase you see with .55's worth the reduction in sharpening cycles (seems like a 50% reduction is average)? What are the advantages of the .55 over the .45? Being able to push harder? Cut flatter? Being able to push harder while cutting flatter? Are .45's better suited to a LT40 sized mill than .55's, maybe due to the 19" band wheels?

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2019, 07:12:42 PM »
My experience on an LT40 with 55 and 45 blades is that you can push the 55s way harder and the lumber stays flat, if you have enough hp. I gained more cutting speed while maintaining cut quality going to the thicker 55 blades, vs a wider 1.5" vs 1.25". Of course, you can go to a 1.5"x 0.55 and really start sawing!😁 I have to piddle around with a lot of small logs and such, and in those situations the 55s aren't worth it for me as they don't last long enough. If I get in bigger logs, especially pine, and I want to saw fast I'll get more 55s. Mine all broke so I'm cycling through all my 045s.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline jeepcj779

• Share Post
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2019, 07:30:23 PM »
So the type and size of logs you are sawing are factors in determining the thickness of blade to be used, as a thicker blade may not be required to saw flat in smaller or softer logs.

Online YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2019, 07:54:03 PM »
On a side note, one of the reasons I didnt really like the Turbo .055s for my LT40 was they take a deep aggressive bite, and was causing me to retension my drive belt more frequently.  It would start slipping much more than even with standard 7s, so I went from adjusting the main drive belt from once in a while to once a week or so.  So it was putting higher loads on my mill, and in I didnt like that.  I stopped using them (.055 Turbos) for that reason.
I should have been more clear, I put the parentheses in the quote above.  I only had the main drive belt issues with the 055 Turbos.  Actually, I used a lot of standard .055 7s and 4s on my LT40 and it handled them well.  I had the Yanmar diesel, and all the the .055s I tried cut very flat, especially in wider logs.  On the other hand, I disliked the .055 Turbos because they were hard on my mill, and it caused issues.  I switched out .045 7s when I was going through easy wood, such as Poplar and Basswood, mainly because I had boxes of them and they sawed fine in some stuff.  When I had big hard wood, on went the .055 standard 7s.
So I ran standard 7s in both band thicknesses on my LT40 and this allowed me to not have to adjust my sharpener or setter.
With my new LT70 Wide, there isnt enough gullet depth in the standard 7s in the wide cuts, so there is a lot of sawdust spillage and wavy cuts in wide logs, because it will cut to 34 and my old LT40 cut to 24.   Seems about 26 to 28 wide is where the standard 7s lose advantage and the Turbos surpass them. Flatter cuts, less sawdust, higher speed.  
Everything is a trade off.  With the LT70, Im not seeing the band fatigue I had with the smaller bandwheels of the LT40 and the main drive belt is much beefier, so retensioning isnt an issue.  Ive used both .055 x 1.5 in Turbo 7 and the standard 7 and the Turbo is noticeably faster while at the same time cutting flatter.  
@123maxbars got his new LT40 mill with the big diesel and he slabs as wide as possible, as I do.  I suggested he switch to .055s and I think he is quite pleased.  

HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2019, 08:24:13 PM »
I slab wide with my lt40wide max cut 38hp gas 
I have switched to 747 in .55
Flat cuts in hard maple and white oak.
With the 7 turbo .45 I could get some wave in max cut on hardwood and pine with spike knots. But not every cut it would just show up.
So far I'm very happy with the 38hp gas.

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2019, 09:55:11 PM »
With the 7 turbo .45 I could get some wave in max cut on hardwood and pine with spike knots. But not every cut it would just show up.
I have the same mill. I looked at the diesel, but the cost and the amount I saw did not justify the huge cost difference. I like the 38, but have no problems bogging it down in "fast" wide cuts. I usually only see the corduroy after I flip the slab.
I am going to order the 1.25 7turbos .55 on Monday. I hit so much hardware I only average 2-3 sharpenings per blade anyways.  
Really an truely the best blade so far has been the 7carbide. I maybe get 1 sharpening and lots of time I have to junk them as I hit trash. But can you ever cut a lot of lumber without stopping to change a blade. I have furniture builders that want me to use them. They pay when I trash them no problems. The finish they get, cuts down on their plaining, and I'm not changing blades unless we hit something. That saves 2-3 blade changes in a day if not more. Depending on how dirty the logs are. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline 123maxbars

• Share Post
    • www.outofthewoodsforestry.com
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2019, 10:40:40 PM »
Same set up for me except I have the Diesel. 
After @YellowHammer guided me on my new mill upgrade and now blade use I am sawing perfectly flat wide slabs. 
Go with the .055 and if you have to make adjustments everyday it's still worth it, 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
W/M LT40HD, W/M KD150 Dehumidification Kiln Mahindra 4550, BMS 250 Sharpener, BMT 150 Setter, MS880 chainsaw mill,
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2019, 08:41:10 AM »
Same set up for me except I have the Diesel.
After @YellowHammer guided me on my new mill upgrade and now blade use I am sawing perfectly flat wide slabs.
Go with the .055 and if you have to make adjustments everyday it's still worth it,
Guys are you using 1.25" or 1.5" . 7 Turbos
I had a box of Kasco's 1.5" 7's., they ended up being bad steel and went dull after 2 cuts. I am waiting for a replacement box. I didn't like the the adjusting between 1.5" and 1.25" . I want to have one width and cut down on the adjusting. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
WoodMizer blade sharpener

Started by delvis on Sawmills and Milling

1 Replies
Last post October 25, 2017, 02:02:17 PM
by terrifictimbersllc
xx
woodmizer blade tilt

Started by trickycoyote on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post February 06, 2019, 10:31:11 PM
by Dave Shepard