The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: What book is good to start out with?  (Read 1678 times)

Offline Doc

• Share Post
What book is good to start out with?
« on: March 02, 2005, 11:08:59 PM »
I looked at the offerings at the guild, and have no idea where to start out. I don't want to start out over my head (anything above basic at this point is over my head), so make suggestions based on no knowledge at all.

Doc

Offline Jim_Rogers

• Board Moderator
  • Keep your chisels sharp.
    • Share Post
    • jrsawmill.com
Re: What book is good to start out with?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 08:51:16 AM »
I posted my book list. Pick any one and start reading. It really doesn't matter.
I personally prefer Jack Sobon's books.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Offline Doc

• Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 05:29:30 PM »
I ordered The Timber Framers Workshop, and Building a Timber Frame House. I am chomping at the bit to get started reading them.

I woudl like pics of a boring machine. Some really good ones showing some detail would be good. If your blacksmith friend has one apart for repairs or cleaning, I woudl really like pics of that. I am a cheap b#^%$^d and may be able to build the things from scraps, or cast the pieces I need from stuff I already have. In the event that I can't I will be looking for one of thos that you have up, or something that comes along when I can afford it.

In the mean time Jim, I will be sending you an email in the near future. I appreciate the direction from all of your previous posts here. Really good stuff!

I have seen some of these wood mallets shaped like a tapered drum in use in pics from various places. Are these common? Where do you get these? Is there any advantage to using them?

Doc

Offline Jim_Rogers

• Board Moderator
    • Share Post
    • jrsawmill.com
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 06:28:13 PM »
Doc:
You'll have to send me a private email with your address and I can send you some photos of the current boring machines on sale.
The cheapest one on the list is $140. I'm sure you can't make one less than that amount. Or maybe you can but it will take you more then that amount in your time. If you have time to spare go for it.

I'm not sure what you mean by a mallet shaped like a tapered drum, but if you mean a mallet that looks like a one handed rolling pin then they are common. I don't personally know of any store where you can buy them. Most timber framers make their own on a lath. Most are hard wood. I personally made my own but in the standard style, that is a block of wood for a head and a dowel shaped handle. I thought I posted a picture of my collection of mallets and commanders, but maybe not.
The biggest advantage that I can see is that you don't have to look at the mallet to see if you're go a hold of it correctly as every face is a striking face.
Some are longer than others and it's a personal preference as to how long, which means, how heavy one is. Of course the longer the heavier.
Some are made of hornbeam or ironwood, others are just hardwoods. It depends on what's available at the time.
I made mine out of red oak, and I've been happy with it for 5 years. I have several of different sizes for different weights depending on what size chisel I will be hitting. The larger the chisel the heavier the mallet.
HTH (Hope this helps)
Jim Rogers

Offline Doc

• Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 10:08:08 AM »
Helps very much!

I have enough Oak floating around that I think I can come up with something. I appreciate it.

I will send that message shortly. You are most likely right about not being able to make one for 140.

Doc

Offline Billight

• Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 05:03:59 PM »
doc, I found a book in the library here in Santa Fe The art of Log Building by Manny Sievert that had a clear description and good illustrations of coped joinery. That was the only part I really looked at.  Jim, I tried to find that posted list of books you mentioned but I couldn't find it. Bill

Offline Jim_Rogers

• Board Moderator
    • Share Post
    • jrsawmill.com
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 12:10:39 PM »
Bill;
I bumped the book thread to the top of the list. In there is a post listing most of the books I've read.
There maybe a few new ones that I've just finished that aren't listed but those are all the basic books and I believe they are listed in the order in which I got them and read them.
Did you find it alright?
Jim Rogers

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Another good book

Started by RSteiner on Forest Education

1 Replies
Last post September 11, 2007, 11:20:38 AM
by Ron Scott
xx
A very good book.

Started by Weekend_Sawyer on General Board

0 Replies
Last post April 05, 2006, 03:13:01 PM
by Weekend_Sawyer