The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Non grid tied solar uses?  (Read 450 times)

Offline DMcCoy

• Share Post
Non grid tied solar uses?
« on: October 14, 2019, 07:32:18 AM »
My interest in solar goes back to being a kid, so I finally bought a small 100w system from HF just for fun. I can't foresee a time when I will be off grid or grid tied.  All my buildings have grid electricity.

My thoughts are toward setting up a portable tool battery charging station, or running a pre-heater to my domestic water heater. I understand the inefficiency in my proposal but leaving it in the box is even worse. 

Has anyone else come up with uses?
Thanks,
Dave

Offline Southside

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
Re: Non grid tied solar uses?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 09:14:35 AM »
I have a portable chicken tractor with a 100W battery charging system tied to some LED lights.  Does not matter where it is, I have light in it.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline Nebraska

• I'm new! Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 09:28:43 AM »
Ok...@Southside... I have to ask in case I come across such a thing. What is a chicken tractor? Are you talking a self move able hover/ shed for some sort of free range, layer broiler set up?   Or are you raising a super race of chickens with thumbs preparing to  hatch (pun intended) an evil scheme?

Offline Southside

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 09:53:05 AM »
Not self movable, but movable.  I took a hay wagon frame (two axle, kicker style) and stripped it down to the running gear and main beams, then I put one of those bent steel car port kits on top of it which gave me a light, yet bolted together frame, wrapped that with board and batten siding, and voilla, portable chicken coop that follows the cows around for the layers.  Can pull it with a pickup or tractor, the floor is made from hardware cloth so in the warm months there is plenty of air flow up and out the covered windows, door closes at night and no predator issues.  

I will get a photo of it and post it here.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger

Offline Nebraska

• I'm new! Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 10:48:18 AM »
Ok that's what I wondered, there have been a few folks do that up here, but I think we've got too much winter, not enough grass season (it's over we've frosted the last three nights) for that to work well. It's usually tax day in April or shortly after that grazing season begins to start here.

Offline Southside

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 10:53:08 AM »
This is the hitch end, nest boxes in the bump out. 

JD Processor
Riehl Edger

Offline clearcut

• Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 11:07:14 PM »
Im assembling a solar generator , lacking a better term. Solar panel (100 watt), charge controller, marine battery, and (when it arrives) an inverter sufficient to run the chest freezer. 

The plan is when the power company shuts off the power for public safety again, we were out for 4 days in our last little adventure, I should be able to keep the frozen food from thawing, and make enough ice to keep the refrigerator cold. 

Oh, and the WiFi. The kids will willingly go without food, but no WiFi? No way!

I hope to go solar, probably grid-tie soon and this rig is my test bed. Im using this set up to learn more about solar. For example I learned a lot about start up amps. The 5 amp rated refrigerator uses more that 18 amps on startup. Im not sure how many more than that because my original inverter would fault at 17.9. 

I also learned that the computers backup battery does not tolerate modified sine waves - at all. 

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 11:20:06 PM »
The plan is when the power company shuts off the power for public safety again, we were out for 4 days in our last little adventure, I should be able to keep the frozen food from thawing, and make enough ice to keep the refrigerator cold.
Wasn't that fun? :-X The CPUC is planning to fine them now - we'll see.  Yeah, avoid spending the allocated monies on tree trimming and give the investors a better return.

I was out for only 18 hours.  I have grid-tied solar but that does not work when the grid goes down.  A neighbor called me and was mildly upset that his solar wouldn't work, either ;)  If you try to "trick" your inverter with a generator (220v), you'll likely fry your generator - so I've read on the internet.  The only option is a separate solar system (off-grid battery to inverter) to provide "backup" power for the necessaries.

A single deep cycle battery?  How long do you think it will last running your fridge and wifi?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline DMcCoy

• Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 07:42:08 AM »
The great time suction known as the internet has led me to buy a new book.  Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Manual 4th edition.  @ $21 delivered.
Right?  Sailboats and Sawmills= <---->
When it all comes down sailboats are floating cabins that require dependable self sufficiency.  I'm sure much will not be relevant to anything I may want to do but the reviews of this book have me thinking it might well be a page turner.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
The Grid or Solar

Started by Qweaver on General Board

8 Replies
Last post September 29, 2013, 10:58:40 AM
by Larro Darro
xx
Anyone using solar, wind or living off grid?

Started by sprintfan11 on Alternative methods and solutions

23 Replies
Last post March 26, 2018, 06:05:24 AM
by RjMaan
xx
Off-grid battery/solar systems. Who is running one?

Started by Dave Shepard on Alternative methods and solutions

45 Replies
Last post March 17, 2018, 09:54:53 AM
by Lumbergent
xx
To go Off-grid or not to go...

Started by ljohnsaw on Timber Framing/Log construction

13 Replies
Last post December 18, 2012, 06:41:51 PM
by Al_Smith