The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: Knee Replacement  (Read 5082 times)

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
Re: Knee Replacement
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2019, 10:00:58 AM »
With the new procedures and processes these days, the hospital staff will have you up walking the next day.  Unlimited walking is the best therapy, and itís all about tissue regeneration and keeping the joint active, as that increases blood flow, reduces swelling and properly influences scar tissue regrowth. Other than falling issues, they want patients to be walking upright and human as fast as possible to regain proper posture and joint loading.  So they try to wean patients as fast as possible from walkers and crutches.  Having a very positive attitude once the decision has been made to have joint replacement surgery is very important. Itís the difference between ďMy leg hurts, Iíll sit here awhile longerĒ and ďMy leg hurts, itís time to get up and walkĒ.  BTW walking in the woods with a rifle is very good therapy.  I have no doubt you will do great.  
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2019, 10:39:06 AM »
 YH,

Are you saying the MM is going to have to trade in his fancy ride along seat and join us peons walking for a change? :D  War Eagle!
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2019, 10:42:35 AM »
Bill,

Are you suggesting Lynn needs to get the ones with the extended warranty? :D We'd hate for them to give out when he is 95 on an elk hunt and 70-75 y/o Marty has to tote him out to the nearest machine shop to get him patched up.
Because of Dad's age at the time they used "cheaper'" budget knees. At 340 lbs they didn't last.
Second time around he went to the hospital at Colgate university, had them both done at the same time and used the good ones.
The First 60 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Online bwstout

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2019, 12:03:14 PM »
The "fly in the ointment" is that somehow I guess that I have blown my rotator cuff in my right shoulder.  It is giving me much more misery than the knee, but the knee has to be fixed first because the arm is needed during the knee recovery.  ::)

I got no time for any of this crap!!  :-X
Shoulder replacement is not bad had the left one done 3 year ago and this Dec will have the right one. As many has said therapy is the key to quick recover and relief from pain, I can say my left one is great and only hope the right one is the same after rehab too good luck and the best to you
home built mill

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2019, 07:24:15 PM »
Dr. said that I would walk that day and be discharged the next.  If I waited until next year it would be outpatient, no overnight stay.   :o

The fastest option to fix both the knee and the shoulder was to do the knee first.  Crazy thing is that the knee doesn't hurt....but the shoulder does.  ::)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Southside

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2019, 08:08:32 PM »
Think of it this way - after the surgery for a bit your knee will hurt and you will forget about the shoulder.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2019, 10:35:43 PM »
YH,

Are you saying the MM is going to have to trade in his fancy ride along seat and join us peons walking for a change? :D  War Eagle!
Maybe he will mount a LazYBoy on it instead of a WM seat.  It might be covered by insurance. :D :D
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2019, 12:58:24 AM »
then you get a cute little lazy boy racoon!!!  god speed!
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2019, 08:11:19 AM »
 Saw a blerb on tv last night where they showed a robot for doing the surgery's. Impressive the why they do these replacements now. I pray that you are up and huntin quickly ;).
Ed K

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2019, 12:10:32 PM »
Dr. said that I would walk that day and be discharged the next.  If I waited until next year it would be outpatient, no overnight stay.   :o
They consider the operation more of an injury, not an illness.  So thereís really no reason to hang around.  They are getting away from blood drains and even general anesthesia, specially since they can do a spinal block for a knee.  I walked an eighth mile the second day around the nurses station, with a walker because I was bored.  Iím not sure Iíd want to be discharged the same day, but I could have been discharged the second.
My surgeon did 13 total hips in one day, and did about the same number on ďkneeĒ day.  
Oddly enough, when I woke up from general anesthesia, my scalp hurt.  The next day it was worse.  I was taking pain meds and asked the PA why in the world the top of my head would hurt.  He laughed and said when they were articulating my hip through its full range of motion, I almost fell off the operating table so they caught me and pulled me back on the table by grabbing anything they get ahold of, including a couple big handfuls of my hair. Ouch.   :D 
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline Southside

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2019, 12:14:33 PM »
Well at least you had hair to grab!!  With my luck I would have made a sickening "thunk" as my head bounced off the floor!!   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • 70-12 still feel pretty good and going to retire
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2019, 04:25:42 PM »
Wecome (soon) to the replacement club.
I am the orthopedic surgeons benefactor.
Slipped the cartilage cap off of my left femur at age 15 in 1953, was pinned in place and removed in 57.
This caused the head of the femur to develop elliptically instead of round.
torn meniscus in 94, blown acl in 95, rotator cuffs in 99 and 2001, total hip replacement in 99, revision in 06, 2 popeye muscles 2010 and 2012, partial (makoplasty) both knees 2013.
couple of foot surgeries. dont have many joints left to work on, so Hope I am done now.
As YH says doing your PT is a must.
I am in pretty good fettle altho arthritis is taking a small toll.
Even tho I was very diligent with my pt my twice done hip bothers and walking long distances is very bothersome.
Lynn you should be fine as you are much younger than I.
BTW both rotator cuffs are gone again, snap crackle and pop when I move but little or no pain.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
241 acres of woodland

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2019, 08:48:31 PM »
Yeah, but this old crap is for old folks.  :-X  Skin cancer removed, first tooth pulled, and now this knee thing and a shoulder in waiting.  When do they pass out balloons and Popsicles??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline dean herring

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2019, 08:54:22 AM »
Sorry to hear about your knee problems Mr. Lynn
I will lift you up in prayer 🙏 for a successful procedure and a speedy recovery 😎😎
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2019, 09:02:55 PM »
Thanks, I remember when I was a little boy I always wanted to be older, but this is not what I was expecting.  Worn out body parts ain't fun.  :-X

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2019, 09:24:07 AM »
Been thinking/rethinking this knee replacement thing.

When you do squats, are your knees supposed to sound like
a goat chewing on an aluminum can stuffed with celery?

Offline DPatton

• Share Post
    • D & S Sawmill Services
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2019, 11:09:49 AM »

When you do squats, are your knees supposed to sound like
a goat chewing on an aluminum can stuffed with celery?
Look at the bright side Lynn. At least your hearing is still good! :D May you have a speedy recovery.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2019, 03:58:33 PM »

Knees pop, and it doesn't necessarily mean you need a joint replacement.  Issues with uneven cartilage, tendons, a little bone bone on bone, or especially patella alignment can cause all kinds of noise.  The patella floats and is supposed to stay in a groove, and if the muscles and tendons are weak and the groove wears down, it can bounce around like a bumper car.  

Quality of life level pain means you need to have a knee replacement after other options have been tried.  Ultimately it's your decision, because, ultimately you are the one who has to live with, good or bad.

Almost three and a half years ago, I was having quality of life level pain in my left knee, bone on bone, and X-rays showed what I was feeling.  So I went to my orthopedic surgeon who said I need a knee, and I didn't want a knee replacement so close to having a hip replacement.  So we came up with a plan.  First was a steroid injection to reduce the swelling and loosen my joint up.  Next was 6 weeks of physical therapy by real PhD therapists, with the intent of stabilizing my patella and strengthening my quadriceps and other stabilization muscles so that they would be strong enough to shift my posture slightly so I would shift some load bearing in my knee to the remaining cartilage I had.  So I followed the plan, and also found a work boot (Red Wings) that stabilized my feet better and got away from the too flexible and soft boots I was wearing (New Balance).  So after a few months, my knee stopped hurting almost totally, as long as I didn't do anything stupid.  A year later I had my checkup, and as I walked into his office, the Dr. had my folder out and started saying how after a year of bone on bone, was I ready to get surgery, because I must be in a lot of pain.  I said "Doc, I just walked up your two flights of steps instead of using the elevator to get here and I feel great."  He smiled and said that sometime the plan works, and took some more Xrays and saw that my knee had no more wear than it had a year ago.  So he sent me on my way, and said when you start having pain, we'll look at it again.  Its been two and a half years since that follow up appointment and I'm still doing well.

So I still do my 5 minutes of knee exercises every morning, and on a pain scale of 1 to 10, my knee is at a 1 or less, even with me sawing every day. Some days it doesn't hurt at all.  I don't know how long it will last, but I'm hoping a while longer.  

HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2019, 04:53:56 PM »

The First 60 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2019, 09:10:30 PM »
Cartilage had to be removed from my knee after my motorcycle wreck so that I could walk.  20 years later more cartilage had to be removed to unlock my knee so that I could straighten my knee back out.  Now it is 25 years later and I'm walking like Chester Good.  If I am even slightly off balance the knee will give way on me.  The last time it was 3-4 days before I could put any weight on it.  For the past 2 months I am putting a knee brace on first thing in the morning and removing it before bedtime.  Nighttime "trips" are nightstand to bed to dresser to wardrobe to door facing to lavatory.  Then back again.  Dr. said "yes there was a brace better than the one that I am using that would probably serve me well".  My decision is whether I want to be resigned to a knee brace for the rest of my life.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Total knee replacement

Started by pep on Health and Safety

100 Replies
Last post November 04, 2019, 07:53:34 PM
by doctorb
xx
KNEE wood

Started by Peter Drouin on Sawmills and Milling

17 Replies
Last post March 08, 2013, 04:10:58 PM
by loggah