iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Chain Saw Mill

Started by ESFted, October 28, 2019, 10:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ESFted

Some nice neighbors gifted me with a couple of decent cherry crotch sections that I really didn't want to cut up into bowl blanks or turning squares.  Since a band mill is never going to find it's way to my place, I decided to content myself with chain saw milling.  Picked up a Granberg Alaskan Mill, a Stihl MS 661 R C-M with a 36" bar and a skip tooth chain, and a cheap boat winch. Lacking an aluminum ladder or any straight lumber to use as a guide, I decided to use the extruded aluminum frame of my router planer sled.  Adding four Harbor Freight trailer jacks gave it 14" to 28" of vertical play, in addition to the 12" of vertical adjustment of the Granberg...and the ability to level the frame.  Works pretty good, but I think I need a 42" bar.

S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

SawyerTed

Awesome!  I'm going to use this idea!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

thecfarm

Are you having fun yet?? :D  Good for you!!
I always like to know,what's the plan for the lumber? ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ManjiSann

Ok now that's just clever!!  

Pretty wood. I second the request, what's the plan for it?

Brandon 
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

Bigblazer

LT40 manual, peg11 single blade edger and 36" chainsaw mill

ESFted

One of the crotches is fresh cut. That's the one with the bark inclusion. Not sure what's going to happen to that inclusion as it dries, but planning for small, maybe floating, natural edge tables with bow ties across the inclusion.

The other crotch has been air drying for over five years.  It was originally sawed half through the pith to try and keep it from cracking too much, set on a pallet in the shade, covered with a tarp and forgotten.  It seems to have survived.

Yesterday I converted the mill into a router planer sled and started smoothing out the air dried slabs. Those have the prettiest crotch figure.  I'll bring those into the garage and lean them against the wall and ponder their future.

S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

Thank You Sponsors!