The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: Elderly lady from New Brunswick puts family woodlot in conservation easement  (Read 680 times)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
Robena Weatherly, a forest pathologist, who has studied mountain pine beetle in the 50's has sold her family woodlot to Community Forest International. They bought the 350-acre property (about 141 hectares) through its carbon offset program. The original family land grant dates to 1812. She has refused may offers for harvesting her timber over the years. Carbon offsetting is the latest trend in recent years up this way, but realistically very few in numbers doing it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/carbon-offset-community-forest-international-acadian-forest-1.5341061
Move'n on.

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
Very interesting article and a way to store Carbon. i would like to see more of that and I bet we will see it spread
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
I think hardwood and white pine ground possibly, but not fir, aspen, white birch ground. Yes, I could see it on land with the right forest covertype with long lived species. I still think it will be very few in numbers though.

Most of what is south of Fredericton is low lands unless you find a hill up out of the swamp. Grand Lake is a huge forest swamp.

The New Brunswick government bent from nearly 30 % no touch to maybe 12 %. And now they are thinking of going back to 27%, but that difference has already been clear cut. And a lot of that 12 % was what anyone would call low productivity forest, not prime ground. The 18% they took was the good stuff. Chase the money. :D
Move'n on.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter